Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
bbbl67
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Wind Mobile
Question Opera Mini connection strength requirements

Please Login to Remove!

I'm running OS6 on a Bold 9700. Although the default web browser is okay with OS6, much better than the one in OS5, I do sometimes like to use Opera Mini for certain websites.

What I've noticed is that Opera requires a strong network connection, in fact it only seems to work if the device is connected through a strong-signal Wi-Fi. It doesn't ever seem to work when there's no Wi-Fi present, even if there is a strong-signal cellular network available. It sometimes even balks if the Wi-Fi signal strength is weak.

The default browser will work in most of these situations, but Opera just puts up a "Connection Failure" message. Does anybody else notice this? I looked through the Opera settings to see if it's been setup to only work through Wi-Fi, but there's no such setting.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Opera Mini connection strength requirements

I have always been able to use Opera wherever I use the BlackBerry browser. I have never had a problem with signal strength.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
AndyMulhearn

Model: 9300
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbl67 View Post
What I've noticed is that Opera requires a strong network connection, in fact it only seems to work if the device is connected through a strong-signal Wi-Fi. It doesn't ever seem to work when there's no Wi-Fi present, even if there is a strong-signal cellular network available. It sometimes even balks if the Wi-Fi signal strength is weak.
My experience is exactly the reverse and Opera Mini will work with slow connections where the default browser simply never renders anything. I'm not sure why our experiences should be completely reversed though
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
jmwking
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Are you using OM6 or 6.1? If 6, try changing your connection from "sockets" to "http". I've heard some carriers don't like socket connections.

In 6.1, they've removed the choice, and OM attempts to auto-select the connection type.

What happens if you disable wifi?

-jk
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
KrlzGmz

Model: 9550
Carrier: Orange

I own a 9550 and I always use Opera Mini 6, lately the new 6.1.

I can tell you, my friends with 9700's mostly use the default browser because it just feels right. It is a great improvement from OS 5's default. I don't know how well Opera Mini works on their phones since they don't even use it.

From my experience, since I'm stuck with OS 5, Opera Mini works great, it loads pages no matter how crappy my signal is at a given moment.

All I could suggest is upgrading OS's, if you're using the latest maybe the older build you were using has better signal in your particular case.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
devilmafia

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

i also use opera and have no issue with it
Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
bbbl67
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Wind Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
Are you using OM6 or 6.1? If 6, try changing your connection from "sockets" to "http". I've heard some carriers don't like socket connections.
That seems to have done the trick, thanks!

Quote:
In 6.1, they've removed the choice, and OM attempts to auto-select the connection type.
It looks like I'm using 6.0.24209, according to the help screen.

I think I'll go download 6.1. That way I'll just let the automatic setting figure it out itself from now on.

Quote:
What happens if you disable wifi?
Well, up until now, without Wi-Fi, I'd get no connection, a big "Connection Failed" message box would pop-up. I assume that that meant that while in Wi-Fi, since I'm going through a generic broadband Internet connection, they have no problems with sockets vs. http. But on the cellular network, they are finicky that way.

Last edited by bbbl67; 07-20-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Closed Thread