BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #41
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

I just did my own testing of my 8820 and it seems to be much faster on my wifi at home than the 8320 they tested.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #42
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

First of all, I have said MANY times that the BlackBerries still have a browser and overall OS that is too limited to take advantage of the faster data speeds of Wifi or really even 3g. Yeah, it might be a little quicker, but certainly not enough to justify the hype. UMA access does justify the excitement though.

That said, I am certain that this test is not representative of how fast this wifi web browsing speeds are. Just like any other wireless service, its performance fluctuates, and we saw that in the video. In addition, there can always be things going on that we don't know about.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #43
jeremy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
First of all, I have said MANY times that the BlackBerries still have a browser and overall OS that is too limited to take advantage of the faster data speeds of Wifi or really even 3g. Yeah, it might be a little quicker, but certainly not enough to justify the hype. UMA access does justify the excitement though.

That said, I am certain that this test is not representative of how fast this wifi web browsing speeds are. Just like any other wireless service, its performance fluctuates, and we saw that in the video. In addition, there can always be things going on that we don't know about.
I can't say that I agree with you. The design of the BlackBerry OS is done very well. It is developed by professional programmers and everything about it is done with security then performance in mind.

For example, the WiFi implementation took a while because it was done right. The developers took the time to implement a stack that doesn't quickly drain the battery, doesn't step on other WiFi devices, and yet enters and leaves the WiFi network correctly.

I have not seen another handheld that browses as quickly whilst maintaining a stable connection and maintaining battery life.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #44
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

I'm wondering if those with the 8320 experiencing repeated slow WiFi browsing had the UMA function checked in Manage Connections settings? If turning this UMA function off would THIS alone produce significantly improved results in favor for WiFi Browsing?

Either way this SHOULD be a walkup call to RIM to search for a dual core cpu that is very powerful & efficient. OMAP & Samsung cpu's come to mind.

Last edited by Jagga; 09-24-2007 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot to post more.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #45
smilingburgers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Wink

As a humble CDMA user I would like to take this RARE opportunity to say that in this ONE instance, by BB (8830) was quite a bit faster than both as I ran my test side by side BG. I know thats not what was in debate here, but I thought I'd thrown in my two cents..

That's one for CDMA!

We have to take it when we can get it! LOL...

Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #46
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Touche!
Closed Thread