BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #41
gana2k

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks for the quick reply. I am sitting right on top of the router - i have 5 bars. I have tried everything mentioned in this web site - wiping clean, deleting the profile etc and nothing seems to work - i always get the w010 error.
Are there known issues with Pre-N router? have others got it to work in this configuration? I dont know if i should return the phone and try a new piece?
This is really frustrating. I just love everything about the phone , just this one bit about wi-fi.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #42
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Actually I would recommend not sitting literally on top of the router. Receivers can get confused and overpowered if you are too close, even if they are MIMO aware/capable. Mine works just fine, except if I'm within a couple of feet of the router. Just be in the same room and you should be fine.

D-link DIR-655, Draft-N 2.0 certified, fw 1.05, WMM QoS enabled. I associated the phone with the router using WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) which both the 8320 and the D-Link routers support and had no trouble.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #43
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:57 AM..
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #44
gana2k

Default Success!!!!

Well - i did buy a router but not the tmo. I went and got myself a linksys n.
i need the n due to wireless range - otherwise i dont get proper wireless
coverage for my downstairs machine.
So anyway, bought the linksys router, hooked it up and voila - uma/wi-fi immediately.
That kind of sucks - because i just love my belkin pre-n. It was the only one available 2 years ago that would fill my whole house with wireless coverage. The downstairs machine would just be dead and unfortunately my house wasn't wired. So i went and bought pre-n cards for all my machines. But anyway i am happy now that wi-fi is working. Anybody has any theories on why my 2 year old belkin pre-n couldn't connect? I hate to throw it away.

Maybe my perception - but the speeds are awesome - i used google and blackberry maps a lot after i got the phone and i can see speed is pretty instantaneous.

I will try to hook my belkin again - just to see
Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #45
gana2k

Just a quick update - after trying to hook my belkin pre-n back, i once again got the w010: wi-fi association failed error message.
So definitely something with the belkin pre-n router. As i said, mine is pretty old. I got my router when it was originally released - couple years ago.
I couldn't find any settings related to IPSec - maybe i just dont know how to configure it.
Hooked the Linksys wrt350n - and bang comes wifi connection.
I was able to make phone calls (dont know if it is using wifi or edge), but things seemed to work on uma.

I am extremely happy with the phone. I had a short stint with Treo 750 after 4 years of blackberry. I couldn't handle the 750, so reverted to my blackberry back and waited for the curve. No regrets.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #46
dsconnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Iphon
Carrier: ATT
Smile

Working great. Pulling into garage at home, changes from EDGE to wifi-UMA with no problems. During phone calls, the "handoff" between EDGE and UMA is workng great as well.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #47
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90

NO issues here
Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #48
demyxxx

hey guys. i got belkin n wireless router model number f5d8233-4. i cannot for the life of me get it connected to my 8320. it ask to put it the wps but i dont think mine supports that. i went my router settings i can't find it anywhere. but when i connect to t-mobile hotspot @ my sbux it's completely fine.. now it keeps on restarting when i use this router.. after the "verifying security software" keeps rebooting itself like a possesed phone.. boo.. can anyone explain? thx!!

Last edited by demyxxx; 10-04-2007 at 06:21 PM..
Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #49
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:57 AM..
Old 10-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #50
TimW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I couldn't connect earlier today. My laptop and wife's Axim couldn't either. We did the firmware update, fired up the Curve and bing-bang-bong, we're on. Same with the Axim and laptop WiFi CF card.

I don't know what that changed, but that's what did it for us.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #51
mkatwilder24
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

A little bit of slowness on tv and internet, but then again I'm running my security monitoring service, two TIVO boxes, my laptop for surfing and now my phone. My poor router is tired. I'm thinking about upgrading to a router with the MIMO tech which is supposed to work better with multiple services.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #52
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Seems that everything worked fine as long as I remained near the Linksys WRT54G which I already owned, but I wanted full coverage in my house, from front to back without handing off to the TMO Edge network.

The WRT54G(s) is not a TMO version but an older version (2.something) which could accept the third party DD-WRT v23 SP1 software.

I wanted to extend the range of the phone so I added a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 which I picked up at CC. I booted in the DD-WRT software and went ahead and configured it with the same SSID and in the same network as my Linksys.

Both wireless routers are configured as access points and both are in the 192.168.1.x network.

I manually configured a static IP for the phone and enabled inter-access point handover.

The bottom line is that by adding an access point and making a few changes, I've improved my reception in the house quite a bit.

The phone will now roam between access points and with the DD-WRT software, you can watch (real time) as it switches between the Linksys and the Buffalo.

The phone always stays on UMA unless you travel far enough from both APs. It won't switch back to UMA once it goes to the EDGE network, but that's not a problem.

Both of my access points are connected to a wired LAN.

Seems that this is working out great.

Last edited by phjnky; 10-08-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #53
ricbloch

Default UMA keeps kicking off

I 'm using a Cruve 8320.
My UMA connection keeps kicking off and switching to EDGE.
I have LinkSys T-Mobile Router- also got rid of all our 2.4GHz cordless phone and replace with new 5.8GHz.

I am using 2WIRE modem/router combination but have bridged it as recommended by tech support.

I see most people are not having dropping issues with UMA. I live in Los Angeles. Perhaps that’s an issue here.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #54
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbloch View Post
I 'm using a Cruve 8320.
I have LinkSys T-Mobile Router- also got rid of all our 2.4GHz cordless phone and replace with new 5.8GHz.

I am using 2WIRE modem/router combination but have bridged it as recommended by tech support.

I see most people are not having dropping issues with UMA. I live in Los Angeles. Perhaps thatxxx8217;s an issue here.

Any suggestions?
Ricbloch: Am in same exact situation as you. Also in Los Angeles. zip: 90036. My router connected to cable modem is a Netgear Rangemax which is linked to the T-mobile @Home router. Stays on UMA for a bit then gets kicked back to EDGE. I thought this may be an issue of WPA secuirty, but when I changed to WEP, problem still persists.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #55
kingsfan3344
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phjnky View Post
Seems that everything worked fine as long as I remained near the Linksys WRT54G which I already owned, but I wanted full coverage in my house, from front to back without handing off to the TMO Edge network.

The WRT54G(s) is not a TMO version but an older version (2.something) which could accept the third party DD-WRT v23 SP1 software.

I wanted to extend the range of the phone so I added a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 which I picked up at CC. I booted in the DD-WRT software and went ahead and configured it with the same SSID and in the same network as my Linksys.

Both wireless routers are configured as access points and both are in the 192.168.1.x network.

I manually configured a static IP for the phone and enabled inter-access point handover.

The bottom line is that by adding an access point and making a few changes, I've improved my reception in the house quite a bit.

The phone will now roam between access points and with the DD-WRT software, you can watch (real time) as it switches between the Linksys and the Buffalo.

The phone always stays on UMA unless you travel far enough from both APs. It won't switch back to UMA once it goes to the EDGE network, but that's not a problem.

Both of my access points are connected to a wired LAN.

Seems that this is working out great.
How do you manually configure a static IP for the phone? Is this on the handset or on the router settings page. If on the router settings, which page of teh setup do you do this in?

[EDIT] Never Mind, I searched and found it, thanks...
http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...static-ip.html

Last edited by kingsfan3344; 10-09-2007 at 04:51 PM..
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #56
are

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbloch View Post
I 'm using a Cruve 8320.

I see most people are not having dropping issues with UMA. I live in Los Angeles. Perhaps that’s an issue here.

Any suggestions?
I have the exact same setup and the exact same problem (but I didn't replace my phones). I'm also in Los Angeles - 90046. I wonder if there's a problem running the linksys through the 2wire? I need to test at a hotspot tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #57
kevpmcl

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I have had no problems with mine since getting my 8320 last weekend. I already had a Linksys WRT54G router and was able to configure it no problems! Now I have signal in my basement and even 2 houses down. Lovin' it! It takes crackberry to a whole other level!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #58
are

Carrier: t-mobile

Just following up ... I can't maintain a UMA connection and I think the problem must ultimately stem from the 2wire <-> Linksys interaction. The setup is something like:

|
| DSL/phone line
|
--- 2wire modem/router
|
---> wired connection to tmo linksys --> wireless network (linksys)
|
---> wireless network (2wire)

I wish I could just get rid of the 2wire device, but I need the dsl modem. I've tried to put the 2wire device into "bridge" mode, so it would just pass along the connection to the Linksys device, but so far no go. Also, I can't seem to completely shut-off the wireless on the 2wire device, which is also annoying.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #59
Nikkiw

Carrier: T Mobile
Exclamation Need some help with acquiring UMA signal

I have Linksys WRT54G wireless router. IpSEC passthrough is enabled.

Need some assistance with additional router config.

I really don't want to return my 8320...but if I can't make calls on my wi-fi that defeats the primary purpose of purchasing this spendy device!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #60
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 11:10 PM..
Closed Thread