Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #41
DoctorMom

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I just got mine to stop this behavior. Beyond frustrating

I did a google search on Roxio Media Manager and we're not alone. There are forums out there under Roxio that are beyond frustrated with this issue. I found one post (below) that helped me-- hopefully it will help others.

DISCLAIMER: this is a Blackberry user and not a representative of Blackberry or Roxio. Due to the newness of my membership to Blackberry forum, this forum will not allow me to post direct hyperlinks. So, they are modified a bit using spaces-- but you're smart, you'll figure it out

Go to WEB: h t t p : / /
forums.support.roxio
.com/index.php?showtopic=22958

View Member Profilex

post Jun 29 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,401

"I have a Blackberry 8130. The Desktop Manager included Roxio Media Manager. I thought RMM was bulky and slow
when it first installed. Rather than try to uninstall it, I chose to ignore it and used drag and drop with a card reader to
swap files on my memory card. Then one unfine day, Roxio Media Manager began to try to install upon start up. And,
despite repeated efforts, it would not stop. GRRRR.

I found I could stop it by waiting upon startup for the rest of my programs to load then:

Step One
Open Task Manager.
In Applications, right click on the RMM install process
Left click on Go TO PROCESS
This step puts you on ISUSPM.exe.
Left click on END PROCESS

This only works until your next start. In the meantime, you will not be able to install anything else as RMM install is running in the background. GRRRR.

Step Two
Go back to Task Manager, select PROCESSES
Find msiexec.exe
Left click on it and left click on END PROCESS

Step Three
Uninstall Blackberry Desktop Manager and Roxio Media Manager

Step Four
Download and run Windows Install Clean Up utility from:
h t t p : / /
support.microsoft
.com/kb/290301

If it it errors out because another install program is running, repeat Step Two

Step Five
Remove all instances of Roxio programs (I have about four or five) If you are using Roxio for other things (after this I
can't imagine why), you can try to be selective. My strong advice would be to find alternative programs.

Step Six
Download and install Blackberry Desktop Manager without Roxio Media Manager. Get yourself a card reader and you can easily drag and drop from your hard drive to your media card.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #42
mi2nc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

i just upgraded to 4.5 and don't see media manager in the options. For the record I have used RMM for a while and have never had a problem with the simple transfer of files. I want to change to a new desktop pic of my kids and can't do it without the RMM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #43
dpm_forum

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

There are two or three versions at RIM to download. You may have downloaded the DM without the Roxio MM in it, one of the download options. Make sure you did not do this by accident. Download the DM + MM combination for English. You should see that the file size is larger than what you downloaded before. MM is large.

May be something else, but this is the first thing that comes to mind.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #44
Robin622

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Unhappy Someone help!!!

I am having such a problem putting music on my BBCurve 8330! First, I read some where that we could just drag and drop songs from iTunes to the phone. Yeaa, That didnt work! Then I had a problem with the desktop manager... The first time I installed it I guess I didnt do it right and I didnt have the Media Manager with it. So I had to uninstall it and reinstall it with custom options so I would have the media manager. All was fine and I tried to upload about 30 songs onto my phone. Only two ended up transfering. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?! I did realize that the two songs that successfully transferred have a .m4a format and the rest of the songs have a .m4p format and they say (protected) next to them. So I'm assuming there is a way to change the format? (well, I hope so. Because it would REALLY suck if I just bought all those songs for nothing!) I figured screw it, I will deal with it in the morning.. But the next day, when I opened the desktop manager to put some songs on my phone or fix the other ones that wouldnt play, I only had 4 options and the media manager wasnt one of them. Its frustrating because if I plug in my phone and pull up the media files on the computer, all the songs are there. But I can only view and play two songs on my phone. Is there anyone that can help!?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #45
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
U don't need or want that junk. Use mass storage. Roxio is unstable and a resouce hog, and has way too many processes running. JUNK!
Come on RIM, give us something that works, thats what we want. What good are bells and whistles, if they DON'T WORK?
Couldn't agree with you more, it's slow, annoying, and it crashes from time to time.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 11-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #46
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin622 View Post
I am having such a problem putting music on my BBCurve 8330! First, I read some where that we could just drag and drop songs from iTunes to the phone. Yeaa, That didnt work! Then I had a problem with the desktop manager... The first time I installed it I guess I didnt do it right and I didnt have the Media Manager with it. So I had to uninstall it and reinstall it with custom options so I would have the media manager. All was fine and I tried to upload about 30 songs onto my phone. Only two ended up transfering. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?! I did realize that the two songs that successfully transferred have a .m4a format and the rest of the songs have a .m4p format and they say (protected) next to them. So I'm assuming there is a way to change the format? (well, I hope so. Because it would REALLY suck if I just bought all those songs for nothing!) I figured screw it, I will deal with it in the morning.. But the next day, when I opened the desktop manager to put some songs on my phone or fix the other ones that wouldnt play, I only had 4 options and the media manager wasnt one of them. Its frustrating because if I plug in my phone and pull up the media files on the computer, all the songs are there. But I can only view and play two songs on my phone. Is there anyone that can help!?

.m4p's won't play on any device other than an iPod. Apple protects them.

If you're going to put mp3's or m4a's on your BB then you really need a microSD media card. It makes it much easier to transfer them and you have a lot more storage space. Loading them to device memory you risk losing call logs/emails, etc.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #47
Robin622

I already have a micro SD card in my phone.. I had them put it in when I bought it...
Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #48
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Then you don't need Desktop Manager or Media Manager to transfer songs. Just drag and drop them to the removeable drive created by your memory card.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #49
Robin622

Ok.. Thank you. Umm is there any easy way to covert the songs that are .m4p format? I would really be upset if I paid for 30 songs that I cant even use.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #50
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Burn them to a CD and then rip them back into iTunes. That will remove the protection. Don't purchase music from the iTunes Music Store if this is a problem for you.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #51
Robin622

Thank you again. I apologize, it seems as though I frustrated you. It may seem like a stupid question to you but I'm quite new at all of this and I figured this would be the only way to get a real answer that may actually help. And Thanks Again.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #52
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Nope, wasn't frustrated. Just wanted to make sure that the BB didn't get blamed for the "protection" issue. It's an Apple thing. Those songs won't play on anything but an iPod. If you purchase music from other sources in mp3 format you avoid this problem.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #53
Robin622

Yeaa I didnt think that it was a black berry problem at all.. I figured it had to do with apple i just didnt want to waste 30 dollars worth of music. But do you have any other suggestions of where I should purchase music from?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #54
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Amazon.com and Walmart.com both have mp3 downloads for 89 - 99 cents per song, and albums too. I think they are both DRM free and can be played on any device.

Looking at Walmart's mp3 downloads -- some are 74 cents per song.

Last edited by daphne; 11-17-2008 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: to add...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #55
Lecter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: vodafone Germany

It sucks!!

I've stopped using (dragging and dropping now) it but now it's a pain in the butt to convert vids! :(
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #56
daphne

Hmmm... Roxio works fine for me converting vidoes. It's a bit slow but otherwise good.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #57
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Roxio file manager just sucks. I don't even install it when I last updated desktop manager.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #58
Lecter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: vodafone Germany

Does anyone know a conversion soft that can convert Dixv? Preferably free? :D
Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #59
daphne

Roxio in Media Manager converted my DivX .avi videos just fine.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #60
Jazzi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800

I was never able to get Roxio that came with the BB 8310 Curve to work no matter what I did. It would show the screen and freeze. After many installs and uninstalls and even upgrading my graphics and sound card to meet the Roxio Specs, I gave up and installed the DM without the Roxio. I'm grateful they have that option now.
OS 4.5.0.124
Windows XP Home SP3
Closed Thread