Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
TallPaul86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: 27A2D112
Carrier: O2 UK
Default BlackBerry Tablet PC?

Please Login to Remove!

I've heard from some RSS feeds (courtesy of the immense Viigo) that Apple is nearing completion of its Tablet PC which will run iPhone OS on it and seeing the thread that RIM possibly might be developing a Netbook, my thought are: -

BlackBerry OS 5.0 + SurePress Technology (ala BlackBerry Storm 2) = potential money maker?

Anyone got any thoughts on a RIM TouchScreen Tablet?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

If RIM were to go the netbook route, I hope they learn from Palm's missteps with the disastrous Foleo.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
TallPaul86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
If RIM were to go the netbook route, I hope they learn from Palm's missteps with the disastrous Foleo.
Well i've just sacrificed a couple of minutes from my life to actually find out what the Palm Foleo was and it's a remarkable acheivement - producing something that's obsolete instantaneously!

Well i doubt RIM are going to play that ball game - as stated above as well as with the other posting about a netbook that RIM either have the most mind blowing iteration of BlackBerry OS 5.0 OR Windows 7 on it in order to work...

The Dream Spec would be: -

- Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz CPU or the AMD Athlon X2 L310 Dual Core 1.2GHzx CPU featured on the upcoming Acer Ferrari One
- 1GB or 2GB RAM
- 64GB NAND Flash Drive or 64GD SSD with SD Card Slot
- ATI Radeon or nVidia Tegra graphics chip
- GSM and/or CDMA Radios with built-in/pop out SIM card slot/tray
- SurePress or standard Capacitive Touch Screen
- Bluetooth v2.1 or v3.0
- Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g and possibly N
- USB Port of some sort
- Charging Dock

Somehow i doubt that it will ever happen and if it does then it'll be FAR AWAY in the future... But it's nice to dream!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
kjuman

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry Tablet PC - a great idea

This is a phenomenal idea. I am a current Blackberry user and have been for over 6 years. I am anxiously waiting the release of the Apple Tablet PC in 2010 and may decide to ditch my BB for this device depending on the spec.

I will take bets that RIM will totally ignore this space until Apple, Nokia, HTC and Samsung prove its viability in the market. Then RIM will play catchup like they did with the bold.

I am amongst a growing class of users that require ultra portable computing and is now device independent - i.e. my data resides on a portable 500GB drive that I plug into different devices for access.

I need to be able to access and work on files on this device when I am not in the office. I would prefer not to lug my laptop around anymore and just have my Tablet device handy.

Here are my top 5 requirements that no one else has been able to deliver thus far:

1. Screen size should be 5-7". It should not exceed 7" to keep it ultra portable.

2. Ability to edit all MS Office documents.

3. USB functionality - specifically USB Host functionality. I need to be able to plug my 500GB hard drive, access files, email documents, etc, etc.

4. Either a slide out keyboard or configure the Tablet to work with a portable blue tooth keyboard.

5. Multimedia functionality - ability to watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on an 18 hr flight to Asia on one battery charge.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjuman View Post
This is a phenomenal idea. I am a current Blackberry user and have been for over 6 years. I am anxiously waiting the release of the Apple Tablet PC in 2010 and may decide to ditch my BB for this device depending on the spec.
Thats a rather bizarre change to be considering, dumping a smartphone for a much larger tablet device.

Quote:
Here are my top 5 requirements that no one else has been able to deliver thus far:

1. Screen size should be 5-7". It should not exceed 7" to keep it ultra portable.

5. Multimedia functionality - ability to watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on an 18 hr flight to Asia on one battery charge.
While those sizes may be ideal for you, that sort of size would be far too big for most people to replace their smartphone and once somebody is carrying a second device they tend to be fine with a slightly heavier device if it improves usability. Just look at how netbook ranges expanded, they increased into the smaller notebook market rather than shrinking.

Have you looked at the internet tablets made by archos as those seem to be about the only thing that roughly matches your needs, albeit without getting anywhere near your comically optimistic requirements for battery life.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
displacedtexan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: I like pencils
Carrier: AT&T

Good luck finding that battery life and ultra portability...
Old 01-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
TallPaul86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Something like the Nokia N900 would be an excellent device for RIM to make

The BlackBerry Tablet
Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

BBs niche, and strength, is its email platform. I don't know that a tablet sized device would fill this niche as handily as a smartphone does.

Now if you're into simulating WWI airplane dogfights...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #9
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
That doesn't really make sense. Ditching a pocket handheld for a device 10 times the size that requires a backpack to be moved around is like giving up your pocket pen for a plotter. So either your use has gone up 10fold or you have been in the wrong size-factor space to start with.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
I am amongst a growing class of users that require ultra portable computing and is now device independent - i.e. my data resides on a portable 500GB drive that I plug into different devices for access.

I need to be able to access and work on files on this device when I am not in the office. I would prefer not to lug my laptop around anymore and just have my Tablet device handy.

2. Ability to edit all MS Office documents.

3. USB functionality - specifically USB Host functionality. I need to be able to plug my 500GB hard drive, access files, email documents, etc, etc.

4. Either a slide out keyboard or configure the Tablet to work with a portable blue tooth keyboard.

Assuming that you would still want a cell phone, you can keep your 'berry and have this: Blackberry Source.com - Redfly Mobile Companion C7
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul86 View Post
I've heard from some RSS feeds (courtesy of the immense Viigo) that Apple is nearing completion of its Tablet PC which will run iPhone OS on it and seeing the thread that RIM possibly might be developing a Netbook, my thought are: -

BlackBerry OS 5.0 + SurePress Technology (ala BlackBerry Storm 2) = potential money maker?

Anyone got any thoughts on a RIM TouchScreen Tablet?
It would be the biggest flop in modern history.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Capt Jack Sparrow
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I for one would love a BB Tablet....I went to the Apple store yesterday because my wife said it was also a cell phone....seeing that it wasn't, there was no point in buying an ultra portable desk top/lap top Ipod/mp3 netbook sans phone. Whoever gets the mobile phone in one of these puppies first better be in my stock portfolio.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Sparrow View Post
I for one would love a BB Tablet....I went to the Apple store yesterday because my wife said it was also a cell phone....seeing that it wasn't, there was no point in buying an ultra portable desk top/lap top Ipod/mp3 netbook sans phone. Whoever gets the mobile phone in one of these puppies first better be in my stock portfolio.
There is an ipad with cellular radio in the pipe and it should be released shortly. I don't know if a voice plan will be offered, but the capability is there.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
Capt Jack Sparrow
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
There is an ipad with cellular radio in the pipe and it should be released shortly. I don't know if a voice plan will be offered, but the capability is there.
Yes, I heard that, and for my money, the only way I'd even consider one of these net books is if it's also a phone; shouldn't be all that difficult to take a cell phone and just add everything you need to make it a iPad killer.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Wi-Fi + 3G model

* UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
* GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
* Data only2
* Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
from apples website,

the only down side is it wont take a standard sim card.

Quote:
3G data plan FAQs.
What are the 3G data plan options from AT&T?

There are two monthly data plans: 250MB or unlimited. There’s no contract, and you can sign up and change your service right on your iPad. In addition, AT&T data plans include unlimited access to over 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots at locations including Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, and more.
How can I find out if I have coverage in my area?

Simply enter your street address, city, and state or zip code in the AT&T Data Coverage Viewer.
Am I required to purchase a data plan if I buy an iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G?

No. When you’re ready to use 3G service, just sign up for a contract-free data plan right on your iPad. You can always use the built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi to access the Internet.
Can I use my current iPhone service plan with the iPad?

No. The cellular plan for iPhone is separate from the iPad plan.
Can I use my iPad while traveling outside of the U.S.?

You can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots anywhere in the world. Please check with AT&T regarding international 3G usage.
Are iPhone and iPad SIM cards interchangeable?

No. Your iPhone SIM card will not fit into your iPad.
source: iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)
Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Sparrow View Post
Yes, I heard that, and for my money, the only way I'd even consider one of these net books is if it's also a phone; shouldn't be all that difficult to take a cell phone and just add everything you need to make it a iPad killer.
Many have tried, but once again Apple makes it work and will capture the market.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Oh my. Capture the market...

I went to Best Buy and the Apple Store yesterday. No lines. No crowds.

Another hard fought media victory.

BTW - I bought an iPad. It is a netbook and Kindle killer. Nothing more. An iPod Touch on Steroids.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
BTW - I bought an iPad. It is a netbook and Kindle killer. Nothing more. An iPod Touch on Steroids.
Think that was the market they were going after. At least for now.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Kool aid for everyone, right?

No Flash, no printing, USB adapter "soon". And no multitasking.

And don't ask about USB charging issues...

Read some reviews. All over the place. Typing on it now.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #20
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Kool aid for everyone, right?

No Flash, no printing, USB adapter "soon". And no multitasking.

And don't ask about USB charging issues...

Read some reviews. All over the place. Typing on it now.
That's why I never buy anything when it first comes out. I'll wait for all the bugs to be taking care of before I buy. OS4 may address some of these issues, especially multitasking.
Closed Thread