Old 08-03-2005, 01:56 AM   #1
TheKing
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: KPN
Default Planning to evaluate/install BES on Domino

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I will receive a evaluation kit soon with BES for Domino and 5 BB's. I'm reading the docs now and I'm unclear on the installation of BES. Or better, where to install it. The Quick start states the following:

* For PIM synchronization support for roaming users, IBM Lotus Domino server version 6.5.1 is required on the server on which you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

*Verify that the IBM Lotus Notes® client software is not installed on the computer on which you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Well if I installe Domino on a server, the Client will also be installed. No questions asked.

I have now installed a new test server with a new Domino server for the 5 users. So I will put their mailboxes on this test server. (blackberry/test/corp) My plan to install BES on this server. (So with a Domino instance on it.)

Is this a good plan? Or should I install BES on a clean server without Domino? But what about PIM sync if I do that?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
greywolfe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: optus

You need a domino instance on the BES server or it wont work. Just like you need exchange admin tools on an exchange bes install.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
TheKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolfe
You need a domino instance on the BES server or it wont work. Just like you need exchange admin tools on an exchange bes install.
But why do they state that I should not install the Client? It is always installed.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 AM   #4
FlemmingRiis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230
Carrier: TDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing
But why do they state that I should not install the Client? It is always installed.
the full client isnt installed pr default , nlnotes is always there though and that is not a problem.

installing the full admin or user client is not supported from blackberry.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
TheKing

OK.

We have installed BES on a new server with a Domino server just for BB. Can we also install BES on a normal Domino server that we use? We will only have 20 BB users. The other domino server serves 100 users and acts as SMTP for our entire domain. (400 users)

Should I install BES on a seperate server with a seperate Domino instance?

We will reinstall BES after evaluation, that's why I ask.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Have a separate BES Server with an instance of Domino installed on it. The client is installed on it but the shortcut is not created by default, only Lotus Domino Server. Verify they connection document is set to not to route mail and follow the rest of the instructions. In doing this, you have an actual bes server and does not interfere with your mail server.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
TheKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey
Have a separate BES Server with an instance of Domino installed on it. The client is installed on it but the shortcut is not created by default, only Lotus Domino Server. Verify they connection document is set to not to route mail and follow the rest of the instructions. In doing this, you have an actual bes server and does not interfere with your mail server.
Yeah, but do we need to install BES on a separate server? Is it needed for BES to work? Or is it optional / better to install it on a seperate server?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
akdumga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing
Yeah, but do we need to install BES on a separate server? Is it needed for BES to work? Or is it optional / better to install it on a seperate server?

Thanks!
You *can* install BES on your production box, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a task, so if it freaks out it could take Domino down with it. Not to mention there is quite a bit of load by all the Domino API calls. I know 20 users isn't much, but you might as well start out with a configuration that could support easy future growth.
Closed Thread