Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Robbers
Default UMA now offered by Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

For those who like to use UMA on Rogers.....the service is now being offered by Rogers

Rogers Home Calling Zone

Enjoy

Last edited by digitalextremes; 05-07-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

OOOOOO MUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Enjoy Rogers customers
Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I guess for now theres no way to get an ATT 8820 working on Rogers or Tmobile UMA
Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
I guess for now theres no way to get an ATT 8820 working on Rogers or Tmobile UMA
Huh? Why not unlock it and then signup for service with either Rogers or TMo ... am I missing something here?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Only those carrier's devices will pick up UMA. though I am curious if a Tmo UMA device will pick up Rogers UMA.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Only those carrier's devices will pick up UMA. though I am curious if a Tmo UMA device will pick up Rogers UMA.
Thanks for the info; I had no clue.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

^Yea..infact, the BB 8820 doesn't have UMA options in it period..even with Tmobiles 8820 OS flashed..even with my Tmo sim card in it!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
^Yea..infact, the BB 8820 doesn't have UMA options in it period..even with Tmobiles 8820 OS flashed..even with my Tmo sim card in it!
8820 is UMA capable...maybe TMO is not offering that service on the 8820

the software has UMA settings hardcoded which points the device to the correct UMA network when you enable UMA and try to connect, you will also need the correct certificate that your device will need to use when getting authenticated on the UMA network. You can see the settings when you look at the Wi-Fi diagnostics details, it will show you the correct URL of the network UNC and Security Gateway. you need those two key settings in the device + the certificate (certificate can eaisly be obtained from another TMO blackberry, you can just ask your friend to browse through the certificates on a TMO BB and select it and email to you right through the device, but settings cannot be inputted manually)

I have never tested the software theory explained above but I am hoping that will work becuase it makes sense and the device should connect to the correct UMA network.

Last edited by digitalextremes; 05-07-2008 at 05:13 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

All the wifi devices are UMA capable. However, UMA only works on the carrier that the device is branded to. And that carrier has to offer UMA. A TMo device unlocked will not get UMA on Rogers or vice versa.

Last edited by John Clark; 05-07-2008 at 05:20 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

^That's a shame because I have Rogers and Tmo and would have liked to use one device for both :(
Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

muahah For you fido users, UMA is also available

Fido UNO
Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
  • just curious to know what happens when you enable Wi-Fi, does it let you connect to the internet through a wireless router?
  • if that works and then you enable "Wi-Fi Preferred" Under Network Settings, does your device connect to TMO's UMA network?
  • What do you see under Wi-Fi Diagnostics --> Advanced Settings for UNC and Security Gateway?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

I know on my 8320 I used to see the UMA information under diagnostics... Theres nothing for UMA labelled anymore. Wifi does connect fine.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
RegisteredUser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Default Roger's Wireless UMA

I have the unlocked Blackberry 8320 from Tmobile working on Rogers Wireless. I love the WiFi capabilities. Cuts cost for sure on the data charges for browsing the web and sending and receiving emails via WiFi. It's even FASTER for browsing on the Internet with WiFi.

It's kinda retarded to pay for an additional $15 per month (plus tax) if you :

1.) already have unlimited evenings and weekends for phone calls. Especially for the ones who lucked out with the after 5pm evenings plan...

2.) Constantly in a WiFi zone: At work during day and at home during after work.

3.) Surf and access the Internet using WiFi using WiFi Browser.

4.) ...I even still get my Exchange Emails via WiFi when I turn off the Rogers Wireless or take out the SIM card...

5.) ....without the SIM Card, I can still use WiFi with some OPENED WiFi spots to use Google Map to find a place or lookup some stuff quickly on the Internet.

VoIP Client such as Skype is CHEAP. $2.95 CAD per month for unlimited calls to US/CANADA to a landline or mobile. Better than $15 CAD plus TAX from Rogers. And MUCH Cheaper than Shaw's Digital Phone...what a friggin' rip off. I just pay for my Extreme High-Speed at Shaw and use Skype for calling across Canada/USA. MUCH CHEAPER.

If you are computer savvy enough, you can save alot on cost. For those who are computer challenged, those are extra costs that will eat up your savings. Plain and simple.

And MOST INTERESTING of all, there are several developments happening underground to get VoIP client to work properly on Blackberry with WiFi capability.

When this opensource type application is up and running, it's a whole new ball game. It'll be like Linux slow to gain popularity in the beginning but will eventually be in the mainstream.

The real challenge is, getting Linux on Blackberry. Theoretically, it is possible to have Linux on it. It is a matter of writing the codes to work with the device in the first place.

Once there is a working Mobile Linux OS for Blackberry, the possibilities are ENDLESS. A whole bunch of Linux developers from all around the world will jump right in code up stuff, use, reuse, rewrite and patch up the original codes used under the GPL agreement. It'll be like wildfire.

After that, you can have Linux version of VoIP client on Blackberry on WiFi and make FREE calls to landline and regular cell phones.

With a working Linux version of this and all the talented developers with their names on it, that IS their resume for a World Class dream job.

What Rogers Wireless's Marketing does not want you and others to know is... if you already have a Blackberry WiFi, you can already surf the Internet and send/receive emails (via hotmail/yahoo/exchange) for free--provided the WiFi router you are connected to is either OPENED or you have the keys to use it.

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 05-08-2008 at 06:23 PM..
Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

^Does your phone read UMA when on Wifi?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
The real challenge is, getting Linux on Blackberry. Theoretically, it is possible to have Linux on it. It is a matter of writing the codes to work with the device in the first place.

Once there is a working Mobile Linux OS for Blackberry, the possibilities are ENDLESS. A whole bunch of Linux developers from all around the world will jump right in code up stuff, use, reuse, rewrite and patch up the original codes used under the GPL agreement. It'll be like wildfire.

wish for this in one hand and spit in the other, sPit in another and see which one fills up first. BB hasnt been hacked, never any other OS on it, never any viruses, nothing like that. good luck removing the OS and replacing it with linux.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #17
RegisteredUser

Quote:
^Does your phone read UMA when on Wifi?

WorldIRC,

No. It does not show UMA. My Blackberry 8320 is UMA ready and capable.

The phone was bought from a US vendor/supplier and unlocked for us. The phone was branded for T-mobile.

Works fine up here no problem.

The past few days to a week, we can see that Rogers Wireless is mucking around with the network as there were some MDS issues where Market Filters and BBToday would not work for about 3 days in a row.

Nothing was changed on our BES. The problems were pointing to Rogers Wireless. It was ridiculous to talk to the technician I was talking to. He kept denying that the problem is Rogers Wireless and hinted that it was our problem. I hate those first level tech and customer service reps. They know DICK all about the way things work. Just say it out that you don't @#$%ing know and escalate the me/call to a senior technician more competetant.

After a heated argument to request to talk to the higher up, yes, Rogers Wireless WAS mucking around their network in the past few days to a week just to get certain stuff in place to get their UMA working properly on their network. Instead of calling it UMA, they've branded their UMA service...another marketing ploy.

Now, the real question is, will the visitors who are already on UMA outside of Canada get UMA service in Canada?

Technically, it should be possible and without incurring additional charges. But, this is Rogers, they will charge you up the Ying Yang. Why do you think Rogers was one of the Top 5 highest Revenue Earned? They've monopolized Canada. We need more competitors in the market, but the CRTC are being anal about it and my assumption is that the executives are all in on it with Rogers.

My argument is, why should I be charged for using my/our own WiFi for Internet browsing and sending/receiving emails through WiFi???

It's like having your own laptop that is WiFi capable, have Skype to make the calls (at $2.95/month), and being charged for using WiFi at your own home/work where Internet is already paid for by you/company...????....doesn't make sense from a consumer point of view.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm happy with what I have....WITHOUT the additional cost.

My job is to reduce cost--not incur more cost.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #18
RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
wish for this in one hand and spit in the other, sPit in another and see which one fills up first. BB hasnt been hacked, never any other OS on it, never any viruses, nothing like that. good luck removing the OS and replacing it with linux.

Sith,

That is true. Like I said, "the real challenge..." and "...matter of writing the codes..." to work with the devices.

The devices themselves are really just a shell...I am not a veteran programmer but I have takened programming before in Assembly, Visual Basics/C++/C# and Java before up to intermediary.

I've started out Linux last 2 years and I see a lot of potential with it. The coding part will take some time to get used to. But Linux is everywhere such as Routers and enterprise switches and NAS/SANs. Another good example, the One Laptop per Child program, those inexpensive laptops are based on Linux. And let's not forget about Asus, Asus's EEEPC is based on Linux as well.

Linux is in the mainstream. Linux doesn't require that much resource to run.

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 05-08-2008 at 09:03 PM..
Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
kjdoug
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30543D1A
Carrier: Telus
Default but...

uma sucks for now cause they only have the crappy nokia phone and not the pearl 8120 they were supposed to have....boy am i unhappy!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
WorldIRC,

No. It does not show UMA. My Blackberry 8320 is UMA ready and capable.

The phone was bought from a US vendor/supplier and unlocked for us. The phone was branded for T-mobile.

Works fine up here no problem.

The past few days to a week, we can see that Rogers Wireless is mucking around with the network as there were some MDS issues where Market Filters and BBToday would not work for about 3 days in a row.

Nothing was changed on our BES. The problems were pointing to Rogers Wireless. It was ridiculous to talk to the technician I was talking to. He kept denying that the problem is Rogers Wireless and hinted that it was our problem. I hate those first level tech and customer service reps. They know DICK all about the way things work. Just say it out that you don't @#$%ing know and escalate the me/call to a senior technician more competetant.

After a heated argument to request to talk to the higher up, yes, Rogers Wireless WAS mucking around their network in the past few days to a week just to get certain stuff in place to get their UMA working properly on their network. Instead of calling it UMA, they've branded their UMA service...another marketing ploy.

Now, the real question is, will the visitors who are already on UMA outside of Canada get UMA service in Canada?

Technically, it should be possible and without incurring additional charges. But, this is Rogers, they will charge you up the Ying Yang. Why do you think Rogers was one of the Top 5 highest Revenue Earned? They've monopolized Canada. We need more competitors in the market, but the CRTC are being anal about it and my assumption is that the executives are all in on it with Rogers.

My argument is, why should I be charged for using my/our own WiFi for Internet browsing and sending/receiving emails through WiFi???

It's like having your own laptop that is WiFi capable, have Skype to make the calls (at $2.95/month), and being charged for using WiFi at your own home/work where Internet is already paid for by you/company...????....doesn't make sense from a consumer point of view.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm happy with what I have....WITHOUT the additional cost.

My job is to reduce cost--not incur more cost.
So then no, youre not on UMA..simply Wifi. The issue was never getting a foreign blackberry to work on Wifi..its getting them to work on UMA
Closed Thread