WeeManDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default UMA issue, another one with Orange UK

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I asked this question in the 8320 forum but they suggested I tried here, so this is what I asked:

"Just wanted your opinion on this, at home my BB is on the Wi-Fi network, top left says UMA etc however when it is on UMA some people are having to call my housemate to ask him if my phones on as it keeps going through to voicemail. We tested it with his phone calling me and it went to voicemail however restarting the wireless on my BB fixed it. Would you have thought this is likely a software glitch or the sign of a faulty Wi-Fi card?:

Second, I just spoke to Orange customer support who told me that voice calls are not supported over UMA and that I shouldn't be able to receive calls with UMA working :S I thought that was the whole point of it. As I understood UMA, when it is on all calls are piped through the Wi-Fi connection rather than the GSM network. Am I right? I'm willing to accept I'm going mad and imagining it, if someone could set be straight that would be great.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: orange

this is very interesting...I am on orange uk and whenever I am connected to wifi I get the UMA symbol displayed by default. I was receiving calls and was unable to hear the person and they couldn't hear me. I just thought this was a handset glitch. Does that mean that basically these handsets are useless to us. As we won't be able to make and recieve calls when connected to wi-fi? Let me know what you think.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
kalamaca

Carrier: orange

Wirelessly posted

I'm on orange uk, with the orange live box and I get UMA and can send and receive calls using only UMA (disabling mobile network). If I am downloading or uploading on my PC and it is using up lots of bandwidth then calls can start acting up like not connecting or the person I've phoned not being able to hear me. I was interested to find out the cost for UMA and used it to make a short call to Germany. The length was about 5min and cost £1.75 so I guess uma calls still cost...
Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
imranbuk

Model: 8820
Carrier: Orange UK

I am with Orange UK and the whole WiFi thing is a mystery, don't seem to be able to get a straight answer from Orange.
I don't see the point of WiFi if we are still going to get charged for making calls

I have the 8820 and have WiFi set as preferred, no problems with making or receiving calls.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranbuk View Post
I am with Orange UK and the whole WiFi thing is a mystery, don't seem to be able to get a straight answer from Orange.
I don't see the point of WiFi if we are still going to get charged for making calls

I have the 8820 and have WiFi set as preferred, no problems with making or receiving calls.
I guess one of the advantages of being able to make/receive calls over WiFi would be if you are in an area that is not covered by Orange but you have WiFi access.

However the few calls I have had with UMA/WiFi ended abruptly and I had to turn off the WiFi to get a uninterrupted call. UMA from Orange stills seems to be a work in progress.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
moffmeister

[QUOTE=dmacd;905281]I guess one of the advantages of being able to make/receive calls over WiFi would be if you are in an area that is not covered by Orange but you have WiFi access.QUOTE]

exactamundo! except my UMA (or uma) no longer works - under Wi-fi diagnostics on the BB i have
UMA
ISP or wireless network error

I haven't changed anything! and can still email & internet access?

Surely there must be a definitive guide somewhere??
Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
moffmeister

just done a battery out power down and re-boot - now got UMA f***!

but another error message "UTC channel activation failed"
Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Dirky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeManDan View Post
Hi all,

I asked this question in the 8320 forum but they suggested I tried here, so this is what I asked:

"Just wanted your opinion on this, at home my BB is on the Wi-Fi network, top left says UMA etc however when it is on UMA some people are having to call my housemate to ask him if my phones on as it keeps going through to voicemail. We tested it with his phone calling me and it went to voicemail however restarting the wireless on my BB fixed it. Would you have thought this is likely a software glitch or the sign of a faulty Wi-Fi card?:

Second, I just spoke to Orange customer support who told me that voice calls are not supported over UMA and that I shouldn't be able to receive calls with UMA working :S I thought that was the whole point of it. As I understood UMA, when it is on all calls are piped through the Wi-Fi connection rather than the GSM network. Am I right? I'm willing to accept I'm going mad and imagining it, if someone could set be straight that would be great.

Thanks,

Dan
I'd guess that there are some ports on your router which could be blocking the data used for UMA voice? Not sure though.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
mak618

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail69 View Post
this is very interesting...I am on orange uk and whenever I am connected to wifi I get the UMA symbol displayed by default. I was receiving calls and was unable to hear the person and they couldn't hear me. I just thought this was a handset glitch. Does that mean that basically these handsets are useless to us. As we won't be able to make and recieve calls when connected to wi-fi? Let me know what you think.
check your router settings.. I had this happen to me when I was toying around with different options on the router.. Dont remember what it was but surely a good place to start
Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Wattie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange (UK)

I have an 8820 with Orange and Broadband with BT via the Home Hub. After reading your post I tried turning off the Orange mobile signal and trying to make and receive calls just on UMA. This worked fine so I guess the problem is with your router as others have suggested rather than with Orange.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
jimsuilven

I talked to a guy called Mark at Orange blackberry support as I'm also having problems with uma/UMA. (I've got 2 identical 8820 Blackberries - one can send/receive email through home wireless router and the other can't. The one that can shows "UMA" in capitals on screen, the one that can't shows "uma" in little letters. (I did once get it to show "UMA" by removing battery etc., but still wouldn't do emails etc). "Mark" was also under the impression that you couldn't send emails/calls via UMA, but went away and checked with someone who told them that this service should work with Orange 8820's, but is not fully supported yet by Orange (ie: they haven't put staff through the training yet, so they don't know why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't). They should be able to offer this by the end of the month and he suggested phoning back in 7 - 10 days. Quite a helpful chap, even though couldn't fix the problem.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #12
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile

Use the error code you see and look it up in the FAQ here. That at least may be a place to start.

Dave
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
jimsuilven

Update.
Close perusal of the 2 8820's I've got show absolutely no differences between the 2 in terms of certificates, software versions etc. Trials with other hotspots show the same - one can send emails over WIFI, one can't. Interestingly, they both seem to change randomly from "UMA" to "uma", and it has no effect on functionality. I think it is most likely that something is set up on one account, but not the other. I'll have to get back on the phone to the "The Damned", as I understand the Orange support team are known in the business!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
bn3matt

Model: 9700
Carrier: orange uk

I am so relieved to see this post as I am having all the same problems. I called Orange and they are pretty useless with anything to do with wifi.

If UMA is in capitals then it works better. If not then jive talk for instance wont work wifi but opera mini will. Also with uma (small letters) I can make calls and send texts and emails etc. It is the unreliable element of this whole thing that makes me angry as I am paying for this lack of facility!

It is so infuriating that orange just dont help, and not only dont help but seem to enjoy not helping.

Any further info greatefully recieved.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #15
jimsuilven

Smile Sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsuilven View Post
Update.
Close perusal of the 2 8820's I've got show absolutely no differences between the 2 in terms of certificates, software versions etc. Trials with other hotspots show the same - one can send emails over WIFI, one can't. Interestingly, they both seem to change randomly from "UMA" to "uma", and it has no effect on functionality. I think it is most likely that something is set up on one account, but not the other. I'll have to get back on the phone to the "The Damned", as I understand the Orange support team are known in the business!
Eventually persuaded a bloke called Anthony at Orange to go onto the "Blackberry Administration Site" where he found that there was a feature missing from the dataplan on the Blackperry servers. He added this (Called "Blackberry ?Procedo? Internet" (not sure of second word - had trouble with his accent). Didn't work immediately, but did after I'd resent service books (in an area with mobile coverage) and switched off and on. I'm now a very happy bunny as can send emails from home etc. where no Orange coverage.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
g33kish

Default Throwing this onto the mix in case it is of use to anyone?

mistake, sorry!

Last edited by g33kish; 02-18-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: mistake
Closed Thread