BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Anyone Tried the WTR54GS Travel Router?

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone tried this travel router? I'm wondering if it would work for well for those hotels where you can't log into the authentication page as well as where only an ethernet connection is provided. I'm thinking also for international travel where one internet connection costs $30.

Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Gateways: Broadband Routers with Modems/Wireless-G (802.11g)/WTR54GS
Old 10-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

You never give up; I love it! There is absolutely no reason this shouldn't work. I almost always travel with 2 laptops and have been too lazy to get one of these simply because I can generally tether on the other without much issue. But really, this is brilliant for this purpose.

... as I begin a serach on eBay now.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I've seen them and always wondered why one would want one. But now with my BB and some difficulties at hotels, I recognize it's values. Also, I occasionally have to update a couple of tablet PC's used for navigation charts on the airplane and it would save having to purchase more than one connection at the places where they charge for internet.

I'm wondering how the browser authentication takes place. Just authenticate on the PC once then the BB would be able to pick up a dhcp IP from the router and surf away? Sounds too easy. There must be a catch.

BTW, Amazon is where I saw them for the least, so far.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
I'm wondering how the browser authentication takes place. Just authenticate on the PC once then the BB would be able to pick up a dhcp IP from the router and surf away? Sounds too easy. There must be a catch.
Every time I've used a router, it does the authentication through the web browser, but after that it allows that single MAC address through. My first attempt with this was at the Aladdin Hotel (now Planet Hollywood) in Vegas. I hooked up my laptop stupidly, paid for service and then no one else could get on. So, I disconnect my laptop, forced my router to clone the MAC address of my laptop, plugged it in, and all 4 laptops we had were on in without issue or authentication required. (Didn't even have to reboot the in-room mode device.

I did the same thing at a Marriott last year, and at a Sheraton a few weeks ago.

Quote:
BTW, Amazon is where I saw them for the least, so far.
Perhaps it is time to make use of that Amazon Prime.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Actually, a lot of the reviews on Amazon and NewEgg aren't all that good. Looks like it has an overheating problem lots of RMA's.

Not sure......
Old 10-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

With Amazon's return policy ... I'll try anything!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I just ordered one from NewEgg...a little more money but hoping to get a later version number if possible, and cheap 2nd day UPS shipping. NewEgg has always done me right.

Hope I'm not sorry.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
phrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

1. At some hotels, a wired subscription gives you wireless access as well. So you clone the BB MAC address on the router, sign in via laptop, then the BB might have access to the general hotel wireless network. Maybe. I haven't tried it.

2. I have the older Linksys WRT54GC, which has a separate power bricklet. It has paid for itself many many times over. I also like the additional security of a router separating me from a hotel network of unknown security (and probably with many active worms).

3. If size matters, the Apple Airport Express can work with Windows, although some access tweakiing would be needed for the UMA.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Thanks for the tips. I'll try this travel router and see what happens. If it doesn't work I could pick up another regular Linksys router and throw in my backpack.

The Apple Airport routers have major issues with UMA.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
phrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Googling, it doesn't look like anyone has solved the Apple Express or Extreme UMA issue -- so there's no advantage to spending more and getting less with the Apple routers for UMA.

Report on how you like this new travel router (or you can probably find the old one on eBay).
Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

There's another travel router that gets generally better reviews, the D-Link DWL-G730AP. It's smaller, but has an external power adapter (or can run from a USB port). Also it doesn't have a second wired connection so settings are done wirelessly or through the one ethernet port before it's attached to the network.

It's a bit less than the Linksys and since the power isn't built in, there should be fewer instances where the ethernet is too far away from the power outlet. I've seen too many power outlets stuck behind tv cabinets or other places to feel good about having to find enough clearance for the Linksys.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

So what would be the purpose of this? It seems like you plan to use this in situations where the hotel provides wired access, and you want to be able to connect your Blackberry.

Or I guess if you have multiple computers to connect as well, but I am mainly inquiring about the Blackberry side of things.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
So what would be the purpose of this? It seems like you plan to use this in situations where the hotel provides wired access, and you want to be able to connect your Blackberry.

Or I guess if you have multiple computers to connect as well, but I am mainly inquiring about the Blackberry side of things.
1) you can use the 8320 with the WiFi connection to make / receive calls for free (if you have the H@H plan), or at least have better coverage. Lots of time coverage can be spotty, and this gets you over that hurdle ... and also gives you better battery life as your HH isn't wasting power trying to hold a crappy signal.

2) Multiple computers definitely (As a rule I always have 2 laptops)

3) Faster connection than tethering in most cases
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
DaCurryman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

I have this travel router for use with my laptop and love it. Since I travel to clients and thus also hotels all the time, it's a godsend. Haven't tried it with my 8320 and UMA yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
ablickle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
1) you can use the 8320 with the WiFi connection to make / receive calls for free (if you have the H@H plan), or at least have better coverage. Lots of time coverage can be spotty, and this gets you over that hurdle ... and also gives you better battery life as your HH isn't wasting power trying to hold a crappy signal.

2) Multiple computers definitely (As a rule I always have 2 laptops)

3) Faster connection than tethering in most cases
Let me add one:

4) Using your 8320 overseas to make free calls back to the US
Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #16
ablickle

Default Works with 8320

I got this router for my wife who frequently travels internationally. She has used it on several occassions at a hotel in Germany without problems. I configured the router with WAP security and connected it to her laptop and 8320 before her first trip, now all she has to do is plug it in.

The router is smaller than I expected, has a built in 110/240 power supply and plug. It does get pretty warm, but so far no problems running it 24 hours at a time.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

I guess what I was getting at was the only real benefit seems to be if the hotel offers wired access. I frequent a Hilton in Mexico that only offers wireless, so this wouldn't appear to do much good in that situation.

So other than hooking this up to get Wifi access, is there any other real benefit here? Sorry, most of the hotels I have stayed at have wireless anyways, but I could see where this would be beneficial if they only offered wired.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I've been to two Hilton Garden Inns already that offer wifi and ethernet connections. My BB would connect to the wifi, get an IP assigned but for some reason would never find the server. I even talked to tech support using the 800 number in the room and they had my mac address/IP address all set up but the bb's browser would never pick up the authentication page.

This is one reason for it. Also, this router supposedly will connect to a wireless signal as well and act as a router on that system. Additionally, it would add another level of security being behind another router.

I'm actually looking forward to it.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #19
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Also, this router supposedly will connect to a wireless signal as well and act as a router on that system.
This is generally something you need to install DD-WRT for, but if this router offers it natively then that would be interesting. I'll have to go pick one up and take a look; although I have to say I am skeptical of its ability to provide this function.

Quote:
Additionally, it would add another level of security being behind another router.
Wireless security for UMA = worse performance. Also, I don't believe you need to worry about UMA security. For browsing and everything else, well, you really should be using a VPN if you are concerned about security.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #20
ablickle

Quote:
Also, this router supposedly will connect to a wireless signal as well and act as a router on that system.
Now that you mention it, it did pick up the wireless network in my house when I first plugged it in, so I do think it works. I didn't look into that part of the functionality any further, since I needed a plug and play set-up for my wife to use with wired connections. I hope her 8320 will be able to hook up to hotel wireless if available.

I generally found that many european hotels had wired connections, I think in part because of the more solid interior walls and floors that don't play well with WiFi.

I think you'll enjoy that little router.
Closed Thread