Old 01-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Sanctum1972
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default Blacberry Sprint vs. Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I'm from Vermont and own a BB 7250 and am hard of hearing and only use the data plan. I also have a Verizon RAZR and have noticed that I'm using the latter very rarely for voice calls because, at the time, when I was working, I was using it mostly for emergencies.

While the 7250 is from Sprint...the new 8703e is something for me to consider due to the speaker-phone feature. May I ask if any of you had experiences between the Verizon and Sprint 8703e Blackberries?

Pros and cons? How is the voice quality on each of them?

The most important thing for me is to exchange PDFs, JPEGs etc..because I'm a graphic artist and have clientele here and there and having IMs and email is tops all the way next to voice calls.

I would appreciate it any help since I'm considering dumping the Verizon RAZR.

Thanks,

-Adam

ps. private messaging or email is also encouraged.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
bill875

I have used both carrier's 8703e devices and found them to be the same, except that Verizon has crippled the GPS capability so you cannot use it.

On the plus side, Sprint includes, at no extra charge, their "Phone-as-modem" capability with their BlackBerry Data plan. This allows you to connect your BlackBerry to your laptop/computer and connect to the internet at faster than dial-up speeds.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
maflynn

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t

I known so many people who have had problems with sprint that I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. There customer support is bad and their service (at least cell phone service) is pretty poor. If you were choosing between those two then veizon is the logical choice imo.

I've been with cingular now for a couple of years and I've been pretty happy with them, so they could be an alternative too.

Mike
Old 01-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The 87xx series phones are basically all alike. I know people with Sprint who travel to Vermont and have almost no coverage, unless you are in the major cities. Verizon and Cingular coverage is much better there, as it is in most other places. I cannot recommend Sprint there at all.

If you are exchanging jpgs, you may want to consider going to a PPC as opposed to a Blackberry.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I would check to see where you will use the phone. Sprint's coverage is much worse than Verizon, so that would play a factor with me.
Plus, I also have had no good experience with Sprint..

Last edited by jbairdjr; 01-14-2007 at 02:37 PM..
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
The MVPlaya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

The phones are the same...it just comes down to the service.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Sanctum1972

Thanks for the advice. However, Sprint blackberries are cheaper to buy for deaf people under a special program where as Verizon does'nt have it.
Sprint's coverage here in VT is'nt bad and Verizon's range is very good. I use the BB mostly for data purposes and have relied on voice calls less lately..I love the RAZR from Verizon and its voice quality seems to be clear.
The 7250 still works as great as it has been. I got it for $100 bucks instead of $400 under the special discount program.

Adam
Old 01-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
southwestcomm

Model: Many

Sprint and VZ have shared romaing agreements so coverage would be the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbairdjr
I would check to see where you will use the phone. Sprint's coverage is much worse than Verizon, so that would play a factor with me.
Plus, I also have had no good experience with Sprint..
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Coverage is going to vary by market so don't blindly accept vague statements about one carrier being better than another if the statement isn't qualified with a location.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
cruzer3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default I Agree

I would agree with the last poster. It all depends on the your area and also where you are planning to you the device. If you are doing traveling in other areas or just staying within a certain area. You can look at coverage maps but the best is to use the device in the areas you will be the most, that will provide the best answer on which carrier.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Sanctum1972

I appreciate the comments and will keep your suggestions to mind. One thing is for sure is that I'll be using data or email/texting on the go about 95% of the time while the rest is devoted to voice calls which is why I think upgrading to a Sprint 8703 makes sense for me and the idea of a speaker-phone when driving is appealing as opposed to struggling to flip the cell open or looking for my HATIS headset (designed for hearing aids).

Someone mentioned PPC instead of the blackberry for PDF exhchanges and such...what is PPC may I ask?

Also, how fast were you all able to open and view documents on the 8703 compared to the 7250?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
faisal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

i live in chicago and travel all over the US. i have sprint and have been very happy. They do roam share with Verizon and Alltell.

Sprint is also faster in data than verizon. I have had sprint for over 10 years and have been pleased
Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
BayshoreTommy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 317AF8EC
Default Verizon without a doubt...

There is no comparison between Sprint and Verizon. Sprint is horrible, they cater to a market that doesnt speak any English and their customer service shows that.
Verizon is the way to go bar none...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
muskienut

Model: 7100T

I was a Sprint customer and they are just terrible..........While Verizon may charge a little more, the service is that much better.

Do not even think about Cingular - they are actually the worst!

In my order:

Verizon
TMobile
Sprint
Cingular
Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskienut
I was a Sprint customer and they are just terrible..........While Verizon may charge a little more, the service is that much better.

Do not even think about Cingular - they are actually the worst!

In my order:

Verizon
TMobile
Sprint
Cingular
I have no beef with Cingular. Been a customer since they first moved to New England - 5 years ago maybe? Also happy with Verizon. Son also likes Verizon. Daughter swears by Sprint.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #16
southwestcomm

J.D. Powers said this in September regarding the Sprint CDMA network:

"JD Power reported that the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network and the Nextel National Network together made the most significant year-over-year improvement in 2005 when compared to other carriers. In a special analysis of network performance, JD Power also looked at the performance of Sprint Nextelxxx8217;s two separate networks and found that the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network is tied with Verizon and T-Mobile for xxx8220;best national network,xxx8221; with the Nextel National Network slightly behind."
Old 01-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
Sanctum1972

Okay..how about the speakerphone quality on the 8703e with Sprint comparable to Verizon's?

One of you said that internet access via the 8703 as a modem is free on Sprint but not on Verizon, is this correct?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
southwestcomm

Speakerphone quality should be the same.

Sprint includes modem for free, Verizon is $15.00 I believe.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
seaneboyee
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30159745

It all comes down to where you are using your phone and what services you require for your needs. Here is my choice as it references use in Hawaii.

Coverage: You can't beat Verizon, my work phone penetrates through concrete stairwells; Sprint released EVDO first in the State, and Verizon followed about six months later; the 8703e through both carriers worked the same when I was evaluating them both.

Features: Features are the same except that Sprint offers full GPS support

Plans: Verizon is a heck of a lot more expensive and doesn't offer unlimited text messaging and their Broadband Connect plan is an additional fee as the Phone as Modem feature is built into the BB data plan on Sprint

Best of luck in your decisions!

Sprint BlackBerry 8703e
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #20
Sanctum1972

I agree that Sprint's modem option is free and a very nice bonus for that. However, I read one source stating that the 8703e is a Digital-Dual Band phone while another states is a Quad-Band....which one is correct and accurate?
If it's a Quad-Band, I'm sold and will get this phone asap.
Closed Thread