BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS
Default BeeJive, IM+, RIM IM Clients, Which one.

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering what everyone is using as their IM clients nowadays..

Beejive has been somewhat unreliable recently, logging me off IM accounts without error messages or anything. Has IM+ improved recently? Or has the new Trillian app taken everything by surprise?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I don't install any IM apps - just BBM. I rely on SMS, BBM, or good old email.

I have used BeeJive, and thought it was going in the right direction, but it seemed to consistently hammer my battery. I haven't tried Trillian on my BB. Used to use it exclusively on my PC, but I guess I've just migrated away from IMs altogether. Not sure if that's a helpful opinion, but there it is.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
SteveO86

I suppose I could try and forget about IM's but they are kind of convenient still.

IM+ Plus gave a few issues the 10 minutes I had it.. BeeJive is just flaky for me nowadays.. I suppose I can give Trillian another shot. The RIM Clients would be too much of a pain for me to manually sign in/out of.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
dbltap

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Never had any issues with IM+. I've been using it for a couple of years now with AIM, WLM, Yahoo & Skype chat.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
SteveO86

I loaded the trial of the new 8.5, and after logging into all my account I checked back with the app, and it was trying to re-connect all my accounts, then it wouldn't login. Had to do a soft reset to get re-signed in with IM+

Of course I think the trial is 7 days so maybe I'll try it again.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I have the RIM Windows Live Messenger beta app and it works very well. I just don't use IM much. I had Beejive for quite a while but gave up on it when I first got my 9630. I have heard it works well now though.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
SteveO86

I've been using BeeJive since I've had my 8830 years ago, but recently I've had these annoying bugs where I can't scroll down in ongoing chats, get kicked out of IM services randomly and it's honestly a tad annoying at this point, (especially getting stuck were I can not scroll through an active chat) and considering BeeJive releases updates every 6 months, I'd hate to deal with for that long that.

Maybe I will try some of the RIM apps... Do they work via BIS so I can use it over Wi-Fi (Connected to the BIS infrastructure of course)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just use the RIM ones myself since I mainly just use Yahoo and MSN. I use Yahoo by far the most and that one to me is the best one of the RIM IM apps by far. Never use the desktop one anymore. I use MSN occasionally and it acts like the mobile MSN (no offline messaging, logs out w/inactivity) instead of more like the desktop version, which I find to be an annoyance at times. I don't use AIM anymore (wasn't all that impressed with the RIM app, think it used the mobile AIM like MSN) and on the few times I've used Google Talk it's worked fine.

I don't know if you tried Nimbuzz, it's free and isn't too bad from my experience. Palringo, another freebie, has a weird interface and seemed to have connection problems for me. Forgot to add in the initial posting, the negatives of both these is you have to sign up and make an account with them.

Last edited by rjw3000; 07-14-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
SteveO86

I installed all the RIM apps, can't say I see any real difference in any of them. They all have the same options.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
rjw3000

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

They aren't much different in appearance and have pretty much the same general options. When you highlight a person in the different IM programs and click the menu button, you should see some different stuff in each IM program based on whatever features each one has.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
blackberryfreeware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-mobile

Try trillian.im they seems to be a great option if you have multiple PCs and the blackberry app looks okay, I still have IM+ for skype. Trillian has a web base IM you can use which is great to have when you want everything synced.

Last edited by blackberryfreeware; 07-16-2010 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Jey08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATnT

I like IM+ and use IM+ Lite
Old 07-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
lmcjipo

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

I use the RIM instant message programs (MSN Messenger, Google Talk, and Blackberry Messenger). For me, I've never had any real issues with them.

The only annoyance that I have with MSN Messenger is that it won't allow me rename/nickname my friends.

I've also used Kik & WhatsApp to chat with friends with either iPhones/Blackberries who have those programs. I've wanted to test pingChat but I haven't received a beta invitation.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 07-18-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
dbltap

lmcjipo,

I was given the PingChat BB beta. Not all that impressed. So far there are no contact options. You have to remember people's nicks. Doesn't even show mine! Picture send/receive works well. BB to iPhone VM works... bit not the other way. The text seems to be ok. But no better than Kik.

WhatsApp on the other hand seems to be much more stable. Have used it a bit while on the road from Argentina and all features seem to work well. The down side is it is a paid app for a lot of people and I have a much harder time getting friends to add it. $.99 on iPhone. And $1.99 a year for BB version for me on AT&T. My friend in Mexico for a full year free trial. The Android version is not yet available.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 AM   #15
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
lmcjipo,

I was given the PingChat BB beta. Not all that impressed. So far there are no contact options. You have to remember people's nicks. Doesn't even show mine! Picture send/receive works well. BB to iPhone VM works... bit not the other way. The text seems to be ok. But no better than Kik.

WhatsApp on the other hand seems to be much more stable. Have used it a bit while on the road from Argentina and all features seem to work well. The down side is it is a paid app for a lot of people and I have a much harder time getting friends to add it. $.99 on iPhone. And $1.99 a year for BB version for me on AT&T. My friend in Mexico for a full year free trial. The Android version is not yet available.
The company actually sent me the URL for PingChat Blackberry beta a few days ago. I installed it and asked one of my friends to install it on his iPhone. I've chatted with him. I've also installed it on my iPhone and tested it as well. I sent him a picture and he received it. He sent me a picture to my Blackberry and I received it as well. No issues.

What I did find is that PingChat is slower than Kik when it comes to sending and receiving messages. When I've tested it by sending a message between my iPhone and my Blackberry with both programs, Kik is faster. What I like about PingChat over Kik is that there is a "character countdown" that tells you how much characters you have left in your message. On Kik, it has happened to me quite a few times where I was typing a long message and reached the limit and then having to continue my sentence midpoint in a new message.

On the Blackberry, PingChat allows only for basic chatting. As you mentioned, you have to know the person's PingChat ID prior to initiating a chat with the person. It is more polished on the iPhone where you can link a person's PingChat userID with their name in your contacts so they appear as a name. Another thing with the iPhone version of KikChat is that not only can you register a userID/handle but you can unregister it. With the Blackberry version because I've added a handle, I can't move that handle to a different phone in the event of a hardware upgrade until the same feature becomes available on the Blackberry. Something else nice about the iPhone version is that it allows you to send an e-mail to all your contacts indicating what your userID/handle is.

Both the latest version of Kik and PingChat make use of the Blackberry sound profile which is nice.

For me, I tried WhatsApp on my Blackberry but I didn't have any one really to contact since even though it wasn't a lot of money, as you mentioned, trying to get iPhone friends to add it was somewhat difficult especially when there wasn't a trial version. I also didn't install it on my own iPhone since for me, I was mainly interested in testing the program and if it worked for me, I would purchase it. My main issue with WhatsApp is that it requires a yearly subscription fee on the Blackberry (according to Blackberry App World). Personally, I try to stay away from programs that require yearly subscription fees. I also didn't like the fact that on the iPhone platform, it was $0.99 (apparently 1 time payment) whereas on the Blackberry platform, it is $1.99 yearly subscription. I (like probably many other people) also like having a trial program to try out before purchasing it which WhatsApp for the iPhone platform doesn't do.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 07-23-2010 at 02:50 AM..
Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #16
dbltap

We're pretty much on the same page here. PingChat & Kik are both definitely beta but do show some promise. They are both plagued by network timing issues. Both were very unstable from Chile & Argentina. Got continual timeout errors with both products.

That's really what lead me to try WhatsApp. Functionally, the BlackBerry version is much more stable than the other two. I think their model with a free ad supported version would help the adoption rate. The CrunchSMS plan seems good. You get add but can reclaim space by getting a paid version. If you don't mind the adds, no problem. From the ad models I've seen, they would actually get paid more in the long run with ad supported.

Guess I am willing to give Kik a few more cycles through beta to see if they can improve and get to the WhatsApp level of maturity. I doubt PingChat lasts on my phone more than another few weeks.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #17
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
We're pretty much on the same page here. PingChat & Kik are both definitely beta but do show some promise. They are both plagued by network timing issues. Both were very unstable from Chile & Argentina. Got continual timeout errors with both products.

That's really what lead me to try WhatsApp. Functionally, the BlackBerry version is much more stable than the other two. I think their model with a free ad supported version would help the adoption rate. The CrunchSMS plan seems good. You get add but can reclaim space by getting a paid version. If you don't mind the adds, no problem. From the ad models I've seen, they would actually get paid more in the long run with ad supported.

Guess I am willing to give Kik a few more cycles through beta to see if they can improve and get to the WhatsApp level of maturity. I doubt PingChat lasts on my phone more than another few weeks.
For me, I'll probably keep both PingChat and Kik on my Blackberry for the time being. Deleting PingChat from my Blackberry at this early stage would mean that I can't use the same userID again since it will think that the userID belongs to someone else. It needs the ability like PingChat on the iPhone where you can unregister your userID so that you can either install/use it on another phone or use it on the same phone at a later date.

For me, I only have 2 main issues with Kik... and these 2 issues deal mainly with the Contacts vs. KikContact listings. I've never experienced any time-out issues but I've only been using Kik in Canada where the network is stable when you compare it with other countries.

With PingChat, I haven't used it enough (I only installed it a few days ago after getting the beta invite). If the Blackberry version of PingChat would/could get the same features as the iPhone version, I will be happy. I'm willing to wait since PingChat for the Blackberry is at the very early stage.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #18
dbltap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
For me, I'll probably keep both PingChat and Kik on my Blackberry for the time being. Deleting PingChat from my Blackberry at this early stage would mean that I can't use the same userID again since it will think that the userID belongs to someone else.

If the Blackberry version of PingChat would/could get the same features as the iPhone version, I will be happy. I'm willing to wait since PingChat for the Blackberry is at the very early stage.
That's good to know. I'll hold on to it for a while longer as I do have one iPhone friend who uses it with me regularly.

I guess both of these kind of frost me for what they are calling beta. I really see both of them in "public alpha". By that I mean, they don't either one have the full feature set they promise the product will have upon release. In my world, anything I release to my customers in beta has to have almost all the features in place... even if there are still a number of bugs. Kik is missing all of their file sharing capabilities. The problems you are having with contacts I would call bugs. The function is there; just broken. PingChat to me is in worse shape because the lack of contact integration functionality almost makes it unusable. I would put PingChat's file sharing capabilities at a beta stage. And probably put Kik's messaging/user interaction at beta. But for the full features they both promise, neither are close. Alpha... you bet. My legal department would never let me release this level of code as beta.

They both need to get more field data for their network timing from other parts of the world. I'll only have one more opportunity to test South America in the next 2 weeks. I don't see either of them solving those issues this quickly. May be a few months before I can try again.

Due to the ID issues you mention, I'll keep both of them for now and continue testing.

WhatsApp has them both beat in functionality and stability. Just can't get everyone I know to pony up for the price.

I do want to say I appreciate the detail in the feedback you have been posting. That kind of detail is what helps develop good solutions.

Cheers.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
lmcjipo

I'm also testing a multi-platform chatting program on my Blackberry Bold 9700 which appears to be very early beta called "Cnectd Blackberry Beta". Cnectd also exists (for free) on the iPhone platform as well as the Android platform.

I haven't been able to convince any of my iPhone friends to download Cnectd yet. I will speak with one of my Android friends to see if she will download it on her Xperia X10.

On the Blackberry, Cnectd seems slow and there are a few connection errors. One of the things that I don't like about it is that it tries to link with Facebook (but it isn't 100% required even though it appears to be). For me, I just bypassed the Facebook login screen when registering Cnectd on my Blackberry.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
whsbuss

Tried them all. Like BeeJive the best, but it totally kills my battery. Tried their Beta 2.1 and the battery issue is still there (although I like the start on reboot).

What do I use? I have the RIM versions of Gtalk and Yahoo. Not the fanciest, but solid performers.
Closed Thread