Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Mandel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE
Default Wi-Fi on the Bold

Please Login to Remove!

I thought I read something of the same as the issue below. I searched for the thread unsuccessfully. So apologies if I am double posting. just point me to the right thread.

We own two identical Bold units in my home, same OS vdersion, same all. Both are configured for our router, yet, with one we have normal Wi-fi connection, and the on the second the logo remains grey (and in the Manage Connections, it shows the SSID and shows as "connected", but the signal shows a white "-" instead of a green tick sign).

I tried every trick in my book with no success, including changing OS version, pulling battery, connecting to the router in different ways, disconnecting and reconnecting to the router... No luck.

Thanks for any tips or advice.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Do you have encryption setup on the router? You may need to re-enter the key on the Bold. It's possible to get an unusable connection by getting the SSID correct, while mis-keying the key/shared secret. I've experienced your symptoms when this was the case.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

What sort of wireless security do you have enabled on the router?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Mandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
What sort of wireless security do you have enabled on the router?
I have PSK (pre-Shared Key). I have an 8120 and another Bold running jus tfine with the router.

I deleted and reset several times with no luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
dhong2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

you should double check your connection settings on your bold.
i have the javelin but the set up is the same, and my sister has the bold. she had the same issue.
just go to options, mobile network
and make sure the data services is checked off.
i figured i would turn mine off due to the fact that i dont have BB plan but you do indeed need to have it on for the wifi to connect properly.
it seems as if the browser doesnt want to load anything unless it recognized that your data services are enabled.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Mandel

Data services is on, asnd there is no relationship between both issues.

My browser works fine in 3G. It is that the wi-fi connection is not working.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
iiiiiiii

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A

hi guys i jus got the 8900 curve on Rogers....and i got it because i wanted to use the wifi and surf the web without paying for a data plan. the wifi connects properly but when i try to open browser it says "unable to connect try again later", is Rogers blocking ppl from using wifi without a data plan??? or can i d/l another browsing app and use wifi??
Old 01-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandel View Post
Data services is on, asnd there is no relationship between both issues.

My browser works fine in 3G. It is that the wi-fi connection is not working.
Temporarily disable all security on router including MAC address filtering, so that device will see your WiFi as Open.
Delete already created WiFi connections on blackberry, to start clean.

Now try to find network with your Bold, it should find it and list it as Open and try connecting to it.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Mandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Temporarily disable all security on router including MAC address filtering, so that device will see your WiFi as Open.
Delete already created WiFi connections on blackberry, to start clean.

Now try to find network with your Bold, it should find it and list it as Open and try connecting to it.
Thanks for the advice Berry One. Tried this. No luck.

Issue is the same on any router I try.

Clearly the issue is with the device. Wiped it out and restarted all from scratch -- no luck. As I said earlier, I own two other Wi-Fi enabled BB's (another Bold and an 8120 which run great on the router).

I am still searching...
Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Yes, if this is the case the issue is with the device. If you bought it new - exchange it.

If you bought it used - take a look at IT policy applied to it. It could be that policy applied disabled WiFi, you never know - and depends on how you wipe device IT policy could be left.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Mandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Yes, if this is the case the issue is with the device. If you bought it new - exchange it.

If you bought it used - take a look at IT policy applied to it. It could be that policy applied disabled WiFi, you never know - and depends on how you wipe device IT policy could be left.
How do I "totally" wipe out? I did:
Options/ Security Options/ General Settings/ Wipe Handheld, and selected "all" including TP applications. -- The IT policy is sister to my other devices I believe.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
BerryBoldJoe

Model: 9000

Same issue, I'm on my second phone so its in the settings somewhere.
I've contacted my IT dept (on BES) and they've walked step by step through my policy, and there is nothing blocking my WIFI - a coworker has the same phone, on the same server, etc, and his works.

I've set the phone to hotspot browser, reloaded OS, wiped, everything except solder it to my router and pretend its connected.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
sohail25feilder

PIN: 25636BD1
Carrier: mobilink

Same problem. SSID connected, name shows in the network connection but there's a white dash instead of green check.
My dignostic advance reports are as under:-
SSID: abc
AP MAC Address: 00:1E:58:A9:EB:AC
Security Type: Open
Association: Successful
Authentication: Successful
Local IP Address: 192.168.40.88
Signal Level: -66 dBm
Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps
Authentication Failure Reason:
Network Type: 802.11b/g
Network Channel: 1
Pairwise Cipher: None
Group Cipher: None
Gateway Address: 0.0.0.0
DHCP: Successful
Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
DNS suffix:
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Server Domain Suffix:
Certificate: Not Applicable
Software Token: Not Applicable
L3 Auth:

VPN
Current Profile:
Concentrator Address:
Authentication: N/A
Secure Device IP:
Resolving Concentrator: N/A
Concentrator IP:
Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:
DNS Suffix:
Secure Subnet Mask:
Retry at:
Session Lifetime:
Re-login at:
Failed Login Attempts: 0
Certificate:
Software Token:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
Address Used: //193.109.81.88:443
IP Used:
Connecting: Error
Authenticating router: N/A
Authenticating server: N/A
Last Contact At:
Unable to get an interface for login password or proxy settings.
Can somebody help cox it is working with other routers but not with my office router.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
cleverington

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Answer

I don't claim to be a technical guru, however I am pretty confident that the answer to this is Proxy settings. As far as I can work our, there is not a setting to allow you to configure any of the blackberry browsers to go through a proxy server.

I have even upgraded my Blackberry Bold to the latest official Vodafone OS release (v4.6.1.162) and still there is not an option to surf via a wi-fi connection through a proxy server.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
keithsafc

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Wifi

Only had my BB less than a week on t-mobile was surfing fine on the WIFI on my home router, same problem happened next day, no green tick in the manage connections only a white horizontal line. Contacted t-mobile updated software all the usual stuff, spent over 10 hours talking to tech support on the phone over 2 days (at there cost). Only to find out that blackberry know about this problem and are trying to get it sorted!! they've taken my BB back and are sending me a new one. tech support could have save me hours of time if they told me blackberry knew about this problem in the first place.

keithsafc
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
anaswbr

Carrier: XL

I am also experiencing the same problem with my BB Bold. The solution that I found out is that after I have switched on the wifi (connected with the "-" sign), I hard reset the BB Bold and after hard resetting, the BB Bold wifi will connect to the wifi automatically. I also found out the this problem happen when connecting to Belkin,Dlink routers
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
diverse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: tm

I think the issue being talked about here is NOT an issue with the router. I have a bold, I have a TM UK sim and my wifi works fine. I am moving to orange PAYG (which contrary to what other say, is supported on all BB devices). When I put my orange SIM in I have no wifi connection. When I put the TM sim back in all is well. I got the Orange SIM working when I transfered my account to a new sim because they allegedly put me on to a BES account when I want BIS. Orange seem to have no clue how to remedy this. BES is no use to me as the Maps/Facebook/Google won't work.

Has anyone got an idea why the WiFi works on TM but not orange? They say they've removed and re-applied the service but nothing has worked, AAAAARGH!!

Removing the battery, deleting the service books and the host routing tables hasn't worked. As soon as I put the TM sim in, WiFi goes white (with green tick in the manage connection page).

Last edited by diverse; 02-20-2009 at 03:40 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
wiredhernandez

Model: 6800
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsafc View Post
Only had my BB less than a week on t-mobile was surfing fine on the WIFI on my home router, same problem happened next day, no green tick in the manage connections only a white horizontal line. Contacted t-mobile updated software all the usual stuff, spent over 10 hours talking to tech support on the phone over 2 days (at there cost). Only to find out that blackberry know about this problem and are trying to get it sorted!! they've taken my BB back and are sending me a new one. tech support could have save me hours of time if they told me blackberry knew about this problem in the first place.

keithsafc
Can you please elaborate on this statement? Does RIM know there is a wifi problem with some BBs? I am currently looking at an issue with the BOLD and Curve. They will connect just fine sometimes and then need a reset to connect others. I have tried with Cisco WAPs and Linksys .. Coverage and network are always good. The diagnostics show no connection or lost connection .. very flaky all around with multiple devices. RIM has been no help so far. I have tried with both WEP and WPA. One day everything looks solid.. next morning check and cant connect or require reset..

I can always connect to same wlan with laptop ....

Last edited by wiredhernandez; 02-23-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: update
Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
shamano

Carrier: ATT
Default Intranet Wireless access stopped working

I have had my BB Bold for a few weeks. When I first got it I configured it for wireless access with LEAP Security. Everything worked fine when I was in my office location. Fast forward a few weeks, I can still get access to my home lan using WAP security and access to ATT Wifi hotspots like Starbucks. I have also used the Bold as a tethered modem to get intranet access. Today in the office my office access has the white - and does not go green check. It says I have insufficient security credentials.
I know this is a BB Bold problem because (1) it worked before (2) my laptop was connected to the same intranet with the same LEAP credentials at the same time

It this really a BB Bold code issue? It has been totally frustrating trying to get it to work again!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
keithsafc

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredhernandez View Post
Can you please elaborate on this statement? Does RIM know there is a wifi problem with some BBs? I am currently looking at an issue with the BOLD and Curve. They will connect just fine sometimes and then need a reset to connect others. I have tried with Cisco WAPs and Linksys .. Coverage and network are always good. The diagnostics show no connection or lost connection .. very flaky all around with multiple devices. RIM has been no help so far. I have tried with both WEP and WPA. One day everything looks solid.. next morning check and cant connect or require reset..

I can always connect to same wlan with laptop ....
hi, all t-mobile said was BB or RIM know about this problem. Ive now got my new BB and it says it is connected to my wifi but for some reason i can surf web on wifi on BB.
Closed Thread