BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Crazy Nancy No. 2

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Bold connects to network, but no internet...

Please Login to Remove!

Please help. My Bold connects to my wireless network, but the wifi symbol is grayed out and I don't have internet access. However, if I reboot my router, it will connect and provide internet for a few hours. The wifi symbol becomes gray again, but the Bold still indicates that it is connected to my wireless network. I have to reboot the router to get it to connect again.

My laptop has no problems connecting wirelessly to the internet when this happens.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Nancy No. 2 View Post
Please help. My Bold connects to my wireless network, but the wifi symbol is grayed out and I don't have internet access. However, if I reboot my router, it will connect and provide internet for a few hours. The wifi symbol becomes gray again, but the Bold still indicates that it is connected to my wireless network. I have to reboot the router to get it to connect again.

My laptop has no problems connecting wirelessly to the internet when this happens.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
same problem here. It's certainly the Bold and not the router. Why do I say that? Because I have similar problems where ever I go and regardless of which network I connect to. The issues are unpredictable and erratic.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Crazy Nancy No. 2

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post
same problem here. It's certainly the Bold and not the router. Why do I say that? Because I have similar problems where ever I go and regardless of which network I connect to. The issues are unpredictable and erratic.
Actually,my situation s just the opposite. I get full connection with just about every other router. It's just the router in my office I have trouble with, and I've tried all sorts of different settings, but no luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
alllexandru

Model: Bold
Carrier: Vodafone Romania

kind the same problem here:

So, the Wi-Fi works excelent if a have Data On.
If I shut down Data and try to connect via Wi-Fi doesn't work anymore.

So my question is why Wi-Fi doesn't work with Data shut off?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
AJones125

Same Problem! My Bold has stopped working with all wifi routers.
It connects just fine and draws an IP address from the router but cannot see the Internet. The name of the router appears on the top, but the WIFI symbol is grey.
On the connections list, when WIFI is checked, the name of the network is bright green, but there is no green check on the right, just a white dash.
The advanced diagnostics don't indicate that anything is wrong. The DNS test works, but the Ping test fails.
This started happening just a few days ago. Before that everything was just fine.

When the Data is On, I'm pretty sure that it's drawing data from the 3G network, not my router.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Nancy No. 2 View Post
Actually,my situation s just the opposite. I get full connection with just about every other router. It's just the router in my office I have trouble with, and I've tried all sorts of different settings, but no luck.
It may be possible that your office router is set to terminate wirless connections after a particular period of time connected. . . . I have open wi-fi set-up this way so the system gets freed-up every 60 minutes.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
AJones125

Ok, I have sort of fixed my Bold, or at least got it back to the original state. When I turned Data off, and then on again, the WIFI didn't come back. The WIFI symbol stayed grayed out even though it was connected to a router (any router).

To make it work again, I had to go to Manage Connections -> Mobile Network Options -> Menu - Diagnosticts Test -> Menu - Run

Once the diagnostic completed, my WIFI worked again, but only with Data Services On. It seems to me that the BlackBerry programmers have wired it so that you cannot set your handset to purely connect over WIFI alone with the Data Services OFF. The Data Services setting and the WIFI capability are linked. You can leave Data Services On but turn off the mobile network and only use the WIFI, but you can't receive calls that way.

Either the programmers don't know that this flaw exists or they have intentionally wired it that way so that people have to buy data plans and spend more money. We probably need to post this somewhere where the programmers can see it.

Last edited by AJones125; 12-16-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Old 12-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
mitchd123

Carrier: ATT

Under the help messages about connecting to a wireless network, it says that the Enterprise Administrator can disable the ability to connect to a wireless network. My WiFi only seems to work at work, and I can not get it to work at home. I wish there was a way to find out if my admin has blocked this, or it's just an error of some kind.

I setup a WAP with no security and put very close the the BB Bold. It sees and it able to connect fine, but it will not obtain an IP address from the router.

What's really strange is I put a manual IP address on the BB, and attempted a Ping test. The ping test to SELF fails. This baby will NEVER connect if it can't even ping itself. However when I switch back over the ATT, the ping test works fine.

Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
zealot9802

I thought I was the only one with this problem. Im going to be talking to customer service tonight about this issue. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Damaged7
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

I have the same problem, was hoping to find a solution here.

I connect to my network, has the name on the top of the screen, has a "wifi" logo right under my signal bars, in the menu the Wi Fi has a grey box with a white dash through it.

It will connect find to the router, but it won't give me internet at all. I'm sure my router is fine, as my PC gets the signal fine. I'm not sure if there's any more setting i'm supposed to set up or not, i searched for my network and put in the WEP.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
zealot9802

Im on the phone with Rim. At&t had no answer except that its probably my phone.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Damaged7

I read a few FAQs about setting up the Wi-Fi. However, I'm not sure if there's some simple thing i'm overlooking or not.

I see options for VPN, not sure what that is but it always says I don't have a VPN profile.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
anhquang300722

Model: BOLD

lolz..i used to have a same problem but i already know how to fix..
Menu >> Options >> advanced options >> Browsers >> Default browers configuration ( change to Hotspot Browers) ..good luck
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Gary241

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhquang300722 View Post
Menu >> Options >> advanced options >> Browsers >> Default browers configuration ( change to Hotspot Browers) ..good luck
And changing it to "Internet Browser" got me going with an Edge connection!
Thanks soooo much for that one!!!

-Gary
Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Damaged7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhquang300722 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I tried that but it still didn't work. I went into the options and changed it from "Internet Broswer" to "Hotspot browser" and even though I saved the changes, it will not save. Everytime i go back into the options, its back on "internet browser".

I turned off my connections to my carrier and just kept the WiFi on, changed to Hotspot browser and it won't work. So either its just not working, or I cannot change my browser options.
Closed Thread