BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
PaulQ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Question Wipe and reinstall then what exactly is pushed back?

Please Login to Remove!

I got the dreaded 523 error (again) and I had to wipe everything and reinstall the OS. I did not restore any backup files. I disconnected from my computer. Everything seemed pretty raw - default.

I'm on BES. Once everything was up and running, it went through enterprise activation. I noticed that my menu sub-folders reappeared. For example, my Google folder appeared but was empty because I had not installed the Google programs again. My call log was repopulated (although it was missing the past day or so). Some other minor items also reconfigured from default to my pre-crash settings.

Does this mean my enterprise server maintains some of this info? What exactly does it keep??

Thanks.

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve 4.6.0.62)

Its depends on what the bes admin has set up
Old 08-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
jjd228

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulQ View Post
I got the dreaded 523 error (again) and I had to wipe everything and reinstall the OS. I did not restore any backup files. I disconnected from my computer. Everything seemed pretty raw - default.

I'm on BES. Once everything was up and running, it went through enterprise activation. I noticed that my menu sub-folders reappeared. For example, my Google folder appeared but was empty because I had not installed the Google programs again. My call log was repopulated (although it was missing the past day or so). Some other minor items also reconfigured from default to my pre-crash settings.

Does this mean my enterprise server maintains some of this info? What exactly does it keep??

Thanks.
youre having this 523 problem because ill bet that youre listening to people on this forum that will wrongly tell you to yank the battery out while your bb is running. this has become standard practice here because at some point someone read a post on the bb site and misunderstood it. much like a computer, if you shut down while the os is in the middle of doing things you will eventually run into serious problems. to do a full reset, power off gracefully, allowing the device to perform all necessary garbage collection etc., then remove the battery. now hold in your power button for 10 seconds or so to drain any residual power from the device. put battery back. this is the ONLY way to safely to a reset. so anytime you see people saying "do a battery pull", ignore them... they are misinformed and quite unintelligent when you really think about how bad this is to do

Last edited by jjd228; 08-16-2008 at 08:08 AM..
Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
youre having this 523 problem because ill bet that youre listening to people on this forum that will wrongly tell you to yank the battery out while your bb is running. this has become standard practice here because at some point someone read a post on the bb site and misunderstood it. much like a computer, if you shut down while the os is in the middle of doing things you will eventually run into serious problems. to do a full reset, power off gracefully, allowing the device to perform all necessary garbage collection etc., then remove the battery. now hold in your power button for 10 seconds or so to drain any residual power from the device. put battery back. this is the ONLY way to safely to a reset. so anytime you see people saying "do a battery pull", ignore them... they are misinformed and quite unintelligent when you really think about how bad this is to do
you are so way out in left field you cant be seen from home plate. I dont know where in the world you get off telling him this is a bad idea. Its is the best bet to fix most ever issue.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
they are misinformed and quite unintelligent when you really think about how bad this is to do
Anymore personal insults from you and you will be on vacation. You might disagree with methods recommended around here (and you will be one of a few on this reset matter) and that is fine, feel free to disagree. But don't take it to personal instults such as you have above.

Meanwhile, I don't recall anyone here recommending the battery be "yanked" other than your own mentioning it. So plesae quit trolling the forum and misstating this.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
to do a full reset, power off gracefully, allowing the device to perform all necessary garbage collection etc., then remove the battery. now hold in your power button for 10 seconds or so to drain any residual power from the device. put battery back. this is the ONLY way to safely to a reset.
You should write to RIM. Seems they left out a critical few steps in their documentation.
BlackBerry Search Results
Old 08-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
PaulQ

Well... not that this was at all what I was asking about....

I have received the 523 error twice in the past 6 months. Neither time was anywhere near a battery pull. But, YES, I understand that -on a PC- files can be corrupted and only show their bad side when called upon at a later time.

In any case, no one has been able to nail down a single cause for 523 errors based on what I have researched. I think the likely culprits are themes and MMS messages. This recent one occurred when it AUTO-ONed in the morning. I can't even tell you when the last time I was that had pulled the battery before that? At least 2 months prior.

---

That aside, THANKS DAWG. I guess I didn't even know it was an option. Even my alarm times were restored! Why wouldn't all BES save this stuff? Just a space issue?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Could it be related to BES and an IT Policy - doing something you are not allowed to do? What OS are you running?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
PaulQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Could it be related to BES and an IT Policy - doing something you are not allowed to do? What OS are you running?
Hmm. I don't think I'm doing anything I'm not supposed to. What they are doing for me is good by restoring info. They already know I had to reactivate but I haven't received my reactivation password.

I am -now- running 4.5. I figured if I'm going to start over AGAIN, might has well have some fun. I work for a huge university so they probably aren't as strict when it comes to this.

After I get up and running, I might email them and ask. Just seems very convenient if they could also include a week or so of past messages!

Closed Thread