Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
UptownGirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BB Bold's battery life?

Please Login to Remove!

So I've had the BB Bold for a couple of weeks so far and am totally loving it. My only gripe is with the battery life, it seems to wind down really fast. With moderate usage of phone, internet, email, music, etc. I'm lucky if I get 48 hours of use before it winds down.

I had read somewhere that wi-fi can really drain battery life. Is that true and if so, should I turn mine off? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 10-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Are you using the WiFi? if so then leave it on, if not then turn it off lol. Same with bluetooth. Make sure you are closing all apps when you are done with them as well.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
UptownGirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Are you using the WiFi? if so then leave it on, if not then turn it off lol. Same with bluetooth. Make sure you are closing all apps when you are done with them as well.
Really?!! No kidding?!!! Duh, of course I'm closing all apps when I'm done! When the AT&T guys set up my BB, they had activated all 3 speeds, EDGE, Wi-Fi and 3G - and had said that the phone would automatically search out the fastest speed and go with that. But if the Wi-Fi is a huge battery drain, then I could consider switching that off and just keeping the EDGE and 3G. Has anyone else out there done that?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

I alternate between them. While at home or in the office, I use 2G only with wifi on, if I am in an area I know has solid 3G, I use 3G only with wifi off, and if I am travelling I use 2G only.

Very rarely do I use the 2G & 3G option, I was seeing too much battery drain.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
The Hairy Slug
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: 255C066F
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
I alternate between them. While at home or in the office, I use 2G only with wifi on, if I am in an area I know has solid 3G, I use 3G only with wifi off, and if I am travelling I use 2G only.

Very rarely do I use the 2G & 3G option, I was seeing too much battery drain.

How do you change between 2G and 3G?

Edit: found the way!

Last edited by The Hairy Slug; 10-03-2008 at 03:39 PM..
Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
JvKintheUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownGirl View Post
Really?!! No kidding?!!! Duh, of course I'm closing all apps when I'm done! When the AT&T guys set up my BB, they had activated all 3 speeds, EDGE, Wi-Fi and 3G - and had said that the phone would automatically search out the fastest speed and go with that. But if the Wi-Fi is a huge battery drain, then I could consider switching that off and just keeping the EDGE and 3G. Has anyone else out there done that?
I strongly recommend that you only use either 3G or 2G, not 2G/3G. The device will constantly search between edge and 3G (in my case, which I think must cost some battery life). I set mine for just 3G and it works like a charm. I'm also not using WiFi, since I have good 3G coverage here

Last edited by JvKintheUSA; 10-03-2008 at 06:30 PM..
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
DannyV

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I had wi-fi on all the time, as it turned out )))
we'll see what I'll get with having it off.

If I don't close applications as I'm done with them, use instant messaging all day, surf the net, use GPS, listen to music when on a bus, so pretty much have the phone in my hands almost all day, the battery lasts from about 7am to 10pm, which is pretty good a I think.

I will try closing apps when I'm done with them, I have wi-fi off now, so we'll see how it will improve battery life.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
bluedevils

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Rogers

I find Wi-Fi drains the batter way faster than 3G. Easily 2x as fast.

I am running v 147.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
I find Wi-Fi drains the batter way faster than 3G. Easily 2x as fast.
I agree with your observation.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
MaxT32
Thumbs Must Hurt

I bought a 3G iPhone and you want to talk about crappy bat life try that phone for a day or so. I had to hook it to a power source in the car in the office then charge it at night. I sold it on eBay and got about $750 for it so I bought a Rogers Bold.

Believe me when I say you got nothing to complain about with the Bold. I use wi-fi all day plus I play music and use the cam a lot and nonstop emails and the bat is only about half way gone by the time I go to bed.

I regret ever getting the iPhone it was a huge waste of time money. I knew I was going to sell it the moment I realized I had paid an ungodly amount of money on apps from the App store for the iPhone but it still didn’t have all the applications that my old 8310 came with fresh out of the box.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #11
bluedevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
I agree with your observation.
v162 yields the same results as far battery for you too?

I have upgraded now myself and so far on Wi-Fi it is a major improvement on battery life over the last 5-7hrs. 100% battery remains with an idle unit....v147 for me was not the case in the same situation.

Last edited by bluedevils; 10-04-2008 at 07:13 AM..
Old 10-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
estabulla
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Has someone like Seidio started selling replacement batteries? I used to carry a spare for my curve, thanks to Seidio. With the Bold I find it ever so important. I hope someone starts selling it soon!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
bluedevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by estabulla View Post
Has someone like Seidio started selling replacement batteries? I used to carry a spare for my curve, thanks to Seidio. With the Bold I find it ever so important. I hope someone starts selling it soon!
Lowest I have seen OEM are $49.99 so far.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
UptownGirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default What about the OS?

Thanks for the input, guys. I've started to keep my wi-fi turned off all the time, unless I'm in an area where there's no 3G. Let's see how much that improves the battry life.

One more question - I'm currently running the OS 4.6.0.125 (I probably left out some numbers but it's the one that came on the BB Rogers pre-installed). Are there any official firmware updates out there that address this issue? I saw that one of the sticky threads talks about a new version of the OS, but I probably won't bother to upgrade unless you guys tell me there's a significant improvement in battery life.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
taosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownGirl View Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I've started to keep my wi-fi turned off all the time, unless I'm in an area where there's no 3G. Let's see how much that improves the battry life.

One more question - I'm currently running the OS 4.6.0.125 (I probably left out some numbers but it's the one that came on the BB Rogers pre-installed). Are there any official firmware updates out there that address this issue? I saw that one of the sticky threads talks about a new version of the OS, but I probably won't bother to upgrade unless you guys tell me there's a significant improvement in battery life.
Pretty much every version that is being released is seeing improvements in battery life. Try the latest official release 4.6.0.147, which can be found stickied at the top of this forum listing.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

I found significant improvements moving to 4.6.0.147. Battery life, and OS stability especially.