Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #441
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Dave, have you tried this with your media card out of the device completely? I've had NO reboots with any of the 4.5 OS's I've used.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #442
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Dave, have you tried this with your media card out of the device completely? I've had NO reboots with any of the 4.5 OS's I've used.
I have not but it seems so infrequent that I'd probably miss the media card long before I'd have a chance to really get good test data.

I use my phone so little for actually making phone calls (go figure) that it's so far more of a "Shoot, it did it again. Let me call them right back" annoyance than anything else.

I'm still very happy with 4.5. I was messing with the video camera in the truck today taping my son sitting in his car seat in the back (I was sitting still in the line at the local Taco Bell drive thru). It rocks!

Now if only I can see a UFO or other strange thing to grab some video and sell it to CNN. :P

Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #443
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I would BET it's your card. That's been a big culprit in reboots with 4.5.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #444
sgtcasey

Quote:
I would BET it's your card. That's been a big culprit in reboots with 4.5.
You're probably right. I suppose I should look into replacing it one of these days for something bigger but I'm not even using 100MB of the 1GB that I have now. I only use it to store pictures and whatever video I take (that I never keep, just watch a time or two and delete).

Next week I'll try removing it and keeping the media card at home and make more phone calls than I usually do to see what happens.

Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #445
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If you don't have much on it then just back it all up on your PC and then reformat the card using the BB. Then move individual files back without the .dat files. I've seen some videos cause these issues, too.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #446
BBUserxxxx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Hi all,
I have installed this OS for a few days now. The installation is smooth and enterprise activation is automatic. I like this version very much with all the new features; however, I did have one incident that the handset shut itself off and couldn't turn it on without battery pull. The handset was just idled and not being used when it happened. One note though I added the East Asian support to this OS not sure if this has anything to do with the incident. Hopefully this is just a one time thing. I also noticed the battery drains faster on EDGE then the 4.2.2.184. May be the .55 will be better.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #447
garthfan0523

PIN: N/A

Hey y'all! So I've been reading and re-reading this thread for the past two hours, now, and thinking it might be nice to try this latest update even though I've only had a BlackBerry for about two days, now. Brave, huh? lol

Anyways, I've apparently done everything correctly after all this reading but, now that I am ready to click the go button on the install to my BB, I get this message: Warning: After completing the loading operation, you must activate your device wirelessly to continue to send and receive messages and use other BlackBerry services. If you do not want to continue with this loading operation, press Cancel.

Should I be concerned about this, or just press play?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #448
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthfan0523 View Post
Hey y'all! So I've been reading and re-reading this thread for the past two hours, now, and thinking it might be nice to try this latest update even though I've only had a BlackBerry for about two days, now. Brave, huh? lol

Anyways, I've apparently done everything correctly after all this reading but, now that I am ready to click the go button on the install to my BB, I get this message: Warning: After completing the loading operation, you must activate your device wirelessly to continue to send and receive messages and use other BlackBerry services. If you do not want to continue with this loading operation, press Cancel.

Should I be concerned about this, or just press play?

Thanks!
I didn't even realize there was a warning like that. The activation happens automatically or should if you're on BIS. On BES I have no idea how it happens. Are you on BIS or BES?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #449
garthfan0523

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
I didn't even realize there was a warning like that. The activation happens automatically or should if you're on BIS. On BES I have no idea how it happens. Are you on BIS or BES?
Yeah, it came up under the Application Loader after detecting the availability of the OS software that I downloaded. More specifically, it's under the Summary page of the Application Loader and, underneath this warning, is the very long list of applications that it wants to install starting with the BlackBerry 4.5.0 System Software, BlackBerry 4.5.0 Core Applications, etc.

I ass-u-me that BES is the Enterprise system? And I have no idea what BIS means (again, very new to BB's) . If it helps, this phone is for my personal use and is not tied into my work in any way.

Thanks again!

Jeremy
Old 07-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #450
garthfan0523

I uploaded some screen shots to my Photobucket album (go to Photobucket and search for my username - same one I'm using here) to help you see what I'm talking about. The first three pictures in the album.

The first picture is the Application Loader searching for and preparing the installation of the new software.

The second picture is the listing of everything that will be installed.

The third picture is the warning followed by the listing of everything that will be installed.

Anybody? I'd love to finish this up tonight while I'm not being distracted by the little one....

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #451
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthfan0523 View Post
Yeah, it came up under the Application Loader after detecting the availability of the OS software that I downloaded. More specifically, it's under the Summary page of the Application Loader and, underneath this warning, is the very long list of applications that it wants to install starting with the BlackBerry 4.5.0 System Software, BlackBerry 4.5.0 Core Applications, etc.

I ass-u-me that BES is the Enterprise system? And I have no idea what BIS means (again, very new to BB's) . If it helps, this phone is for my personal use and is not tied into my work in any way.

Thanks again!

Jeremy
BIS is Blackberry Internet service, basically the consumer service as opposed to BES which is more for businesses and organizations.

If you're willing to live with any problems that result from the OS upgrade, this warning isn't a reason to stop. Be extremely patient on the upgrade. There's a long series of steps where the phone will turn on and off. It might look like its dead or something at certain points, but don't mess with it until it's done.

I had my phone scare me a couple times with errors and things, so don't panic if something comes up. Plenty of help here. Good luck. This is a very nice upgrade in my opinion.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #452
sgtcasey

Quote:
If you don't have much on it then just back it all up on your PC and then reformat the card using the BB. Then move individual files back without the .dat files. I've seen some videos cause these issues, too.
Yeah, I did that Friday I believe it was.

Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #453
AGaitan68

PIN: 24B12647

Will this new OS support my current themes that I have on my phone from TMO?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #454
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Sometimes.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #455
garthfan0523

SUCCESS!!!

Wow! I've only been in the BB world for a couple days and I thought the software that came with my phone was impressive. This upgrade is really neat!

Thanks for the links and the help, everyone!

Jeremy
Old 07-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #456
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

On the first post of this thread, it says to use the latest DM. Is there any difference between 4.2 and the newest one (4.3)?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #457
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Actually, the latest is DM 4.5.

Any version will work. I don't recomend any version older than 4.2 SP2. Versions 4.3 and later don't support Outlook 2000.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #458
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Oh okay. I like DM 4.2 cause it has a simple interface and I heard it's pretty stable. Just wanted to make sure that I can keep that when I do the OS upgrade.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #459
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yep...it should work fine.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #460
garthfan0523

For what it's worth....

As a T-Mobile user, here's some of the things I've noticed so far tonight relative to comments from other T-Mobile users:

After a very simple installation process, I found that ALL of my files had backed up perfectly and were restored to the device with no problems.
I did NOT have duplicate T-Zones icons.
I did NOT have Documents To Go or Certificate Search icons suddenly appear as some have reported.
I have NOT experienced any random rebooting of the device (I also have not yet gotten around to using a memory card with it which some seem to feel may be a contributor to this problem) .
The web browser works perfectly and the Go To... page is much more user-friendly.
The volume IS lower than it used to be even after turning the BOOST back on.
After just learning how to do the workaround for the custom ringtones with MyFaves conflict, I found that I had to go back and do it all over again.

Hope this info helps! Overall, I'm lovin' it.

Jeremy
Closed Thread