BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
CIXELSID MBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default So I Dropped the Storm in a Glass of Water!!!

Please Login to Remove!

Ok I dropped the Storm 9530 in a glass of water, it had the phone condom on it , which may have helped but we will soon find out. The phone was in the cup for maybe 3 seconds but it was 90% submerged. I have been around phones and electronics enough to know that you need to immidiately take out the battery, which i did do. But I made one possibly fatal mistake when taking off the battery i hit the stupid voice recognition key causing the phone to attempt to operate when wet. I dropped the battery out of it with 10 seconds of the entire thing happening. took out the sim and memory card and whipped off the phones and shook it a little to get the remaining large amounts of water. Within 30 minutes of this I proceeeded to blow dry the phone, as I did so I notice the back camera lens would fog up but not the screen itself. Regardless I set the phone about 12 inces away from a hairdryer for about an hour with the hair dryer blowing on to the back of the phone while it was lying on its side. (At this point its important to note, the Wet indicator on the battery never went off or became red, but it did on the phone.) When I took off the battery the back of the phone wasn't all that wet I think because of the phone condom. it was drops here and there. I have now put the phone in a bowl of rice with paper towl around it as to not scratch the screen. It has now been 18 hours the phone is still sitting in the rice. I know the screen is not sealed well or hardley at al because it is setup to feel like buttons. My question it how well it is sealed ? How long should i give the phone before trying to turn it back on? DO you think i killed it by accidentally pressing the "voice activation button" when taking the battery out?

Any opinions or advice is welcome, I am back to using my 8320 and its just not as fun!!!! I pray she makes it through this critical time.

Last edited by CIXELSID MBB; 12-29-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I would wait at least a week before you attempt to put the battery in.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
CIXELSID MBB

I have read all the items regarding Qwerty phones, this phone is different with the touch screen and the nice gap that sits around the screen, the pther blackberrys have a better seal in my opinion
Old 12-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
gsontag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93
Carrier: Verizon

How long have you had it?? i would try to take it back if you just got it and the off chance you have insurance on it.

If not then i dont have to much hope for the screen at least. My brother dropped his phone in water and it ended up having a black spot on the screen but maybe you got lucky and saved it in time!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsontag View Post
How long have you had it?? i would try to take it back if you just got it and the off chance you have insurance on it.
If it's an insurance claim, you can't simply "take it back." That would be a warranty exchange and as soon as they see the moisture indicator has turned they will cease to be friendly about it (in my experience.)

If you did purchase insurance, you likely will still have to pay a prorated amount for replacement... probably anywhere from $50-$150.

I'd keep that puppy under wraps for at least 5 days with the rice. Don't be tempted to turn it on early to see if it's better, as that could be the nail in the coffin.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
CIXELSID MBB

Its unlocked to TMOBILE there is no Insurance. :( Taking it to a phone repair shop now!! Got it last Tuesday started using it last wednesday. THIS BLOWS first phone i have ever gotten wet and I have had some sweet phones including the MOTO A1000!!

Last edited by CIXELSID MBB; 12-29-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Exclamation Another Approach

I spilled iced tea on my 8703e an did the following: I pulled the battery immediately. Then I used a wash bottle filled with isopropyl alcohol and flushed the phone. Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is a very powerful desiccant. IT is far more effective than rice because it is right in there in the phone rather than adjacent to it. If you stop and think about the normal automotive protocol of using dry gas to remove water from gasoline, you can see the logic. Dry gas is a solution of methanol. Don't use methanol as it is toxic. But isopropyl alcohol is "user friendly and will not harm the electronics. Ethanol also works well. If you happen o have some grain alcohol (the drinking kind) this will also work. If you do this with either alcohol and want to dry it, do not use heat with the blow dryer. It can start a fire. Flowing air is more than adequate. About a half hour should do the trick. Plenty of ventilation is an absolute necessity to avoid buildup of fumes.

Finally, if you attempt this, you do so at your own risk. I am merely relating a procedure that I found to be useful. I accept no responsibility for anything that happen if you try any of this.

Oh, the 8703e was successfully rescued by this procedure and was in operation the next morning and continued to work perfectly for about 6 months when I finally replaced it with the Storm. Good Luck. Be careful. 73
Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
CIXELSID MBB

Thanks for the alcohol advice, I took it to the repair shop here in chicago. The guy seemed optomistic, but I am sure he has had people tell him the same story before and the phone was in water for hours or the battery was left on for hours. He is going to rip it apart and clean up the insides make sure its not wet at all. SO now my concern comes down to the screen. The screen has at no point sweat which leads me to believe it might just might be ok. I am worried about him firing it up tomorrow after he cleans it. I am worried that we didnt give the screen enough time to dry, what do you guys think?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
hudres

Lightbulb

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he technician is opening the device up (I am presuming that he is an authorized BB tech), and thoroughly dries everything, it should not be a problem. The screen is an LCD and that is fundamentally waterproof. The polarizers are usually bonded to the LCD, so that should preclude water getting between them and the display itself.

At this point, if damage has been done, there is little you can do. Dropping the phone in water is better than what I did (spilling iced tea, due to the sugar which creates a problem. If the shop you took it to is good, they should have a small oven to dry the phone in (convection ovens are great for this if you can turn the temp down enough).

Worst case, you will need a new phone. While painful, it is not the end of the world. Hopefully, you have insurance on the phone.

BTW: Just what is a phone condom? How much dies it cover and did it fill with water? 73
Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
CIXELSID MBB

A phone condom is "BlackBerry - Rubber Case for BlackBerry Storm" Its the crazy rubber sleave that covers the sides and back of the phone, it covers pretty much everything but the 3 front buttons and the screen and the charging port. Actually I genuinely believe it helped keep water from getting into the phone on the sides and back. Because the water mark on my phone battery did not get "RED." If the storm makes it out of this I am attributing it to the PHONE CONDOM and the information here on BBforum.com THIS STUFF IS PRICELESS. Now if she makes it out I just need to get a browser application on it for Tmobile and ill be set. I have tried what was written and I have Vista and I couldnt get any of it to work
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
roscopcoltrane

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIXELSID MBB View Post
A phone condom is "BlackBerry - Rubber Case for BlackBerry Storm" Its the crazy rubber sleave that covers the sides and back of the phone, it covers pretty much everything but the 3 front buttons and the screen and the charging port.
Does it have a reservoir tip?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
CIXELSID MBB

No but its got NON-Stick keys!!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Hanwei

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopcoltrane View Post
Does it have a reservoir tip?
My coworkers are wondering why I just burst out laughing
Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
CIXELSID MBB

PHONE UPDATE - Phone fires up screen is fine everything works buttons and all, but it freezes occasionally they think they can work it out. Anybody know why it would be freezing?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
CO_BBTechie

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe because it spent some time in a glass of water?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
CIXELSID MBB

HMM Maybe but the fact that it fires up screen and buttons all work points to maybe a glich internal that can be worked out. Wondering if anyone had insight not sarcasm. Much Appreciated
Old 12-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #18
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
HMM Maybe but the fact that it fires up screen and buttons all work points to maybe a glich internal that can be worked out. Wondering if anyone had insight not sarcasm. Much Appreciated
You asked... you might try to wipe the device with JL_Cmdr, and re-install your OS. Perhaps some water leaked in....

/sarcasm
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
CIXELSID MBB

Thats what she said! /Sarcasm
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #20
hudres

Lightbulb

Quote:
PHONE UPDATE - Phone fires up screen is fine everything works buttons and all, but it freezes occasionally they think they can work it out. Anybody know why it would be freezing?
Some of us are sympathetic to your plight. I can understand the sickening feeling about dropping it in a glass of water. Thanks for the definition of the "Rubber Skin Device". You ask a serious question and get some pretty immature replies. Must be from younger members.

Re: Freezes: I will point out that there is a documented history of freezing. That is, if by freezing, you mean the phone stops working on some random screen and there is no response to any key or screen input. I would not attribute this to the water incident as I have had this happen and my phone has been dry. What OS is it running? There is a correlation between freezes and OS version. From what I can tell, you must have at least .75 and preferably, 85. (My apologies to the moderators for mentioning .85, but this is a serious issue and should be treated as such). 73

Last edited by hudres; 12-30-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Closed Thread