Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
KeilwerthSX90R
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: ATT
Question Potential New User Questions

Please Login to Remove!

I tried an 8800 quite a while ago and ended up going back to Windows Mobile and then the iPhone. The primary reason was the browser and I really don't like ATT so I want to go back to VZW and get the storm.

I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions for me.

(1) How well will the Storm do HTML email? The iPhone renders HTML emails almost as well as a desktop email app. Will this be true for BES and BIS emails on the Storm?

(2) How well does GMail IMAP push work with the current generation of Blackberries? Will marking a message read on my BB mark it read in GMail online?

(3) Can you set up email addresses with different reply to addresses? I use GMail but my email address is a .Mac (now mobileme) so the from and reply to address is different that the account. Will this work on the BB?

(4) Lastly, what information is out there on how well third party apps like the GMail app or the Google calendar sync will work with the Storm given the touch screen?

Thanks in advance for the help!
- Josh
Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

1. Yes the Storm will do HTML email on BES 4.1.6 with device os 4.5,, BIS will do HTML as well. Note the key words here "server and device os" need to have the latest versions.

2. I use Gmail on my bb. I have set it up through my BIS account. However my Gmail account is not setup for full sync. So when I open a gmail mail it doesn't show opened in Gmail. This could have changed, if it has then I am sure someone will chime in and correct me.

3. Yes, you can change the reply to address on your BIS account. For BES you will have to handle this though your email admin.

4. RIM has assured us that legacy apps will work on the Storm. There is an announcement out there just too lazy to look right now. However only time can tell for sure. No one outside of RIM has tested this yet that I know of.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
SpectreBlofeld

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A

BigA, the Storm simulator is available for download from Rim's website, and I've had limited success using legacy apps. Opera Mini, for instance, immediately crashes with a slew of java errors. Don't know if the simulator version is the latest firmware version that will be released with the Storm, though.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TELUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R View Post
(1) How well will the Storm do HTML email? The iPhone renders HTML emails almost as well as a desktop email app. Will this be true for BES and BIS emails on the Storm?

(2) How well does GMail IMAP push work with the current generation of Blackberries? Will marking a message read on my BB mark it read in GMail online?
1 - I'm hoping the html rendering is as good on the Storm as the iPhone. I know zooming won't be, but requiring to use Opera on the Curve / Pearl cause the Blackberry browser is beyond gimped is annoying. If the Blackberry Browser hasn't been severly overhauled, it will be an epic fail on RIM's part.

2 - GMail works two ways. Both are push. One - set it up as a Blackberry account. The emails get delivered to your messages list. There's supposedly a way to get it to mark as read / delete, but I haven't gotten it to work on BIS. Two - use the Gmail blackberry app. This allows you to have rich functionality control of your gmail account - mark as read, delete, etc. There is icon notifications of new messages as well. I prefer the gmail app over using the Blackberry account (at least on BIS with the pearl atm)
Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
KeilwerthSX90R
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: ATT

Thanks for the answers so far. Two other quick questions:
(1) Is there an app to sync up GMail contacts with the blackberry?
(2) Does the new version of the OS allow you to separate out emails into two different mailboxes?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R View Post
Thanks for the answers so far. Two other quick questions:
(1) Is there an app to sync up GMail contacts with the blackberry?
(2) Does the new version of the OS allow you to separate out emails into two different mailboxes?

Thanks
1. Blackberry Desktop Manager. This will sync contacts through your email client such as Outlook.
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

I am sure you want an easier more direct solution, however I have not heard of one. However there is a Gmail for Blackberry app. I don't think it syncs contacts though.
Google Mobile - Gmail

2. Yes. You can also separate out SMS messages too. You can also have folders on your main screen. I have dedicated folders just for email, audio/video, applications, maps and system options. This cleans up the home screen nicely..