Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
lombardiamia

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Go mobile
Default 2 (hopefully) easy questions.

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I recently bought a 9000 Bold and I just need to ask 2 (hopefully) easy questions.

Question nr. 1 - When I receive an Sms, on the front page I only get a small icon notification on top. I want to have a '1 message' written at the bottom.

Question nr. 2 - I dont have an icon with the various phone calls received,missed etc. I press the call button to automatically go to this section, but I would like an icon. In this case too, when I have a missed call, I only get a very small icon on top, not a '1 missed call' message.

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Written at the bottom? Instead of the icons? Underneath the top banner?

press menu
then press menu - show all.
then search for a phone icon.
if not there, look in the application folder.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

do you want the icon to have a '1 missed call' written at the bottom of the icon on the home screen? like in the main menu page? if that's what it is:

*get a theme that may suit your needs
Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
lombardiamia

(cant post images, due to post count...)

I just want that when I receive a message (or more), I get an alert in writing that I have received messages (which are unopened). This is usually written on top of the icons you have on the home page. Unfortunately I cannot put links and images due to my post count..

For my second question, I need an icon for calls (missed calls, received calls, dialled calls) as I dont have one.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Carrier: Rogers

Everything that you are asking for is theme specific. Most themes only have an envelope with a red Astrix beside it. I have never even seen a theme that will show the message indicator as text instead. most of the icons are built in system icons and themes only get to specify where to place them when they show up. This device is not as configurable as you hope. sorry to be the one to tell you but it is very configurable in most respects but your getting a little to granular. You have to remember this device and its OS from day one has focused on Business people. they are slowly changing that as more and more consumer level adoption occurs and demand for certain features grow.but as it stands this device if their flag ship Business device.

As for the other question from what I am understanding you want in the call log to have little icons beside the names and depending on if you missed that call or answered it would show a different icon? Again this is theme dependent as I don't have them with my current theme but I have seen them many times before. Either that i remember them from when I had 5.0 OS installed.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardiamia View Post
For my second question, I need an icon for calls (missed calls, received calls, dialled calls) as I dont have one.
as i wrote above

press menu

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
lombardiamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspan View Post
Everything that you are asking for is theme specific. Most themes only have an envelope with a red Astrix beside it. I have never even seen a theme that will show the message indicator as text instead. most of the icons are built in system icons and themes only get to specify where to place them when they show up. This device is not as configurable as you hope. sorry to be the one to tell you but it is very configurable in most respects but your getting a little to granular. You have to remember this device and its OS from day one has focused on Business people. they are slowly changing that as more and more consumer level adoption occurs and demand for certain features grow.but as it stands this device if their flag ship Business device.

As for the other question from what I am understanding you want in the call log to have little icons beside the names and depending on if you missed that call or answered it would show a different icon? Again this is theme dependent as I don't have them with my current theme but I have seen them many times before. Either that i remember them from when I had 5.0 OS installed.
I believe that what I'm asking fo is already there, but I just need to find a way to put it in place. Look at the below pic. You see (3) messages on the front page together with the very small icon on top where you have an envelope symbol with 3, right near to the time. Now I am not getting the '(3) messages' message when I receive a message. I dont really think I need new themes as the themes I have should already have that.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

that only shows when you have the MESSAGES icon highlighted
it does NOT show all the time.
For example, if you scroll to the next icon, where it says "(3) Messages" it will show "contacts"

It is showing the text of the icon you have highlighted.
This is the way it is.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardiamia View Post
I believe that what I'm asking fo is already there, but I just need to find a way to put it in place. Look at the below pic. You see (3) messages on the front page together with the very small icon on top where you have an envelope symbol with 3, right near to the time. Now I am not getting the '(3) messages' message when I receive a message. I dont really think I need new themes as the themes I have should already have that.

http://blogs.appliedconsultancy.com/...berry_bold.jpg
Correct but this is still theme dependent. Some themes will not show that (3) Messages... and as Midnightdraven pointed out it will only show when you have the icon highlighted.

I have a hack for you though. If you find a weather theme that shows text all the time you can have the message icon placed in the weather icon location that way messages will always show at the top and the text (3) Messages will show under it.

For example use this theme posted here

Free 3G Bold Bottom Dock Theme With Weather And Quicklaunch | CrackBerry.com

but download the With Weather Text (no quicklaunch)

put your message icon in the 7th icon position and it will show at the top in the middle with the text that you want under it.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
as i wrote above

press menu
Your not getting what he is looking for. In the call log screen he wants little icons beside each recent call below to show if it was a outgoing call incoming call or missed call. He is not looking for the phone icon on the icon list.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Caspan
No longer Registered.

@lombardiamia Give me 2 minutes i have the theme installed and i will show you a screen shot of what i mean
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Caspan
No longer Registered.

If you look at the first picture it has the messages icon in the top middle and shows the messages (2). The second picture shows where I have to place the icon to get it to show in the top middle on the home screen. You need to place it in the 7th position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.gif
Views:	29
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	17248   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.gif
Views:	28
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	17249  
Old 09-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspan View Post
Your not getting what he is looking for. In the call log screen he wants little icons beside each recent call below to show if it was a outgoing call incoming call or missed call. He is not looking for the phone icon on the icon list.
ahh, it wasnt clear.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
ahh, it wasnt clear.
Yeah for sure.. I'm in IT and help desk is a big part of that and sometime you have to figure out what users are really asking for even though they are asking for something else.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

originally its stated an icon to view call log, as despite pressing the green call button bringing up the same thing, an icon is apparently more handy?
lol

Id like that job. It would be fun.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
lombardiamia

Quote:
originally its stated an icon to view call log, as despite pressing the green call button bringing up the same thing, an icon is apparently more handy?
lol

Id like that job. It would be fun.
No Actually its what you said that I needed. I didnt have a call log icon at all. Thanks a bunch guys for your help!!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Well there we go we were both right So did that theme work for you then?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #18
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

dang caspan, you figured it out nice and good!! it started off as one thing and now we've come to the conclusion that it was something else!
Closed Thread