Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Constantius

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Angry Missing option, "I want to create or add an email address"

Please Login to Remove!

Apparently 8520 owners have to pay for the up-charge to add imap email accounts on the Blackberry 8520. I installed logicmail and funambol but I'm not satisfied with either. Does anyone know of a hack or whether OS 5 supports imap over WIFI (without the up-charge)?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

No, blackberry users have to pay for a BLACKBERRY data plan to get push mail.
This applies to any blackberry.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Constantius

Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks for the info Midnight Draven. Fortunately, I have time left to return the 8520 and I'll purchase a phone that supports IMAP over WIFI without the additional service charge - I can buy a really sweet phone with the money I'll save. A little sarcasm intended, though the folks at RIM also need to be made aware that they're losing customers.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

hey, i got sick of paying an extra 5 a month for email i barely use.
hence why i now have a hd2.
But thats because t-mobile UK have a stupid way of seperating data, so you pay for BB data AND regular data. one wont work without the other on a BB.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
lordtrek

Carrier: hr vip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
But thats because t-mobile UK have a stupid way of seperating data, so you pay for BB data AND regular data. one wont work without the other on a BB.
yeah if you think 5ponds is a lot what would you say to 11! thats what the BIS costs in Croatia :D
11 pounds, if you want BIS roaming thats an extra 9 pounds :D so 5 is great :D
and yes they have that silly thing with double data costs, 512 MB for streaming and unlimited via blackberry browser witch is as we all know crappy so i use opera mini, and use my 512 MB for it... great ain't it? i bet 5pounds sounds a lot better now :D
Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
re:charge
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
i don't find it particularly stupid... they are seperate things... though many n00bs (myself included) got confused by 'internet' & 'blackberry internet'. it's a shame that if you're paying for gprs, that things that would normally work in another phone won't in a bb without BIS. it might even be our carriers blocking some things (that'd normally work), thus pushing us to BIS.

personally i think the push email thing is good, but having to give money to BIS to get normal internet that would normally work in another phone, is a bit like blackmail.

i'm still weighing this up... i'd normally pay for gprs anyway, & now bb too... i quite like it, love the phone... though i do have six month free bb (payg), so i can decide later
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

It is stupid when every other UK provider (and US for that matter) you pay for ONE inclusive "blackberry data plan".
T-mobile UK splitting them up, so that those that buy from stores, and aren't told by the staff about the BB booster, end up confused as to why it won't work.

Closed Thread