Please Login to Remove!

Yes, that information is correct.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #62
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321D643B
Carrier: Verizon

YAY! I am switching from 45 to 29! Save me some money here!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #63
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse7 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the new data plan on a non-BlackBerry PDA? I'm not eligible for an upgrade for several more months and I was hoping a new BlackBerry with WiFi would come out by then. But for right now I want to use the new plan with my Treo. Does that fall under the new $30 unlimited plan?
Nope. The new plan applies to Blackberrys only. Non-Blackberry PDA's still have to pay the higher price.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #64
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW - Love/Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt79 View Post
Thanks to everyone here who brings all the "speculations" and "rumors", I checked VZW's website this morning and there is now a $29.99 Blackberry plan. Presumably, it's because the Pearl 2 went on sale for pre-order today and they needed a cheaper plan for consumers.

Whether this is true or not (since the rep I'm on the phone with now as I type this had no idea about this change), the rep states that her notes say that anyone who is on BES needs to stay with the "Blackberry Solutions" $44.99 unlimited plan. If you're not synced to a BES, then the $29.99 plan will work for you.

The only question in my mind is whether that's the only difference. It says "Email and Web"...nothing about data. So I'm going to keep an eye on this and see if other third party apps that use data (such as Gmail, JiveTalk, etc) will end up costing me money or are included.
I already had it changed first thing in the morning (6:30 AM) when I got into the office and VZW Customer Service opens (EST). The rep wasn't sure what I was speaking about, but after putting me on hold for a moment, she found the feature code and added it with no problem. It is a FEATURE if you have a voice plan that is not a voice+data combined plan, so do not let them tell you otherwise or let them tell you that you need to have a specific type of voice plan or minutes. I have logged into my account and see the feature change.

As with any new service or major change, the reps (unfortunately) are never up to speed or briefed in enough time to keep up with us crazy customers who are on the bandwagon the moment availability hits
Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #65
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

I wanted to point out that if anyone is currently on a BB Voice/Data plan you're already paying $30 for unlimited data on the plan. The difference is for your minutes. When I upgraded to a BB I had the choice of adding the unlimited data plan for $44.99 or switch to a BB Voice/Data bundle. With the BB bundle I was able to get more minutes and also get the unlimited data for less. To me it was worth it at the time.

Also, I want to see if anyone that switched to this plan is able to use an email account from work that works on an Exchange server. (No, I don't mean BES setup by this. I mean a work MS Exchange email account setup in BIS. Users who's companies have an Exchange server that has public OWA access can run this setup.) I ask this because T-Mobile has a similar "2 plan" deal with their BB unlimited data plans. One with BES/BIS and one with just BIS. The problem is that if you just get the BIS one you cannot tie it into an OWA enabled Exchange server, so to some people it may actually be limiting their capabilities. Anyway, let us all know.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #66
d5coupe
No longer Registered.

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
I wanted to point out that if anyone is currently on a BB Voice/Data plan you're already paying $30 for unlimited data on the plan. The difference is for your minutes. When I upgraded to a BB I had the choice of adding the unlimited data plan for $44.99 or switch to a BB Voice/Data bundle. With the BB bundle I was able to get more minutes and also get the unlimited data for less. To me it was worth it at the time.

Also, I want to see if anyone that switched to this plan is able to use an email account from work that works on an Exchange server. (No, I don't mean BES setup by this. I mean a work MS Exchange email account setup in BIS. Users who's companies have an Exchange server that has public OWA access can run this setup.) I ask this because T-Mobile has a similar "2 plan" deal with their BB unlimited data plans. One with BES/BIS and one with just BIS. The problem is that if you just get the BIS one you cannot tie it into an OWA enabled Exchange server, so to some people it may actually be limiting their capabilities. Anyway, let us all know.

jackson racing super charger huh? i used to have one on my RSX.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #67
aviationwiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

About 2 hours ago I called up customer service and it took them a little bit to find the new feature codes and such, but they got me put on the new $35 plan. Much better than $50 for the exact same thing, heh (I don't have voice on this line, or use BES.)
Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #68
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d5coupe View Post
jackson racing super charger huh? i used to have one on my RSX.
OMG!!!! Someone actually knows what it stands for. That's a first in a LONG time. Anyway, yeah, I had it on that car.... no longer have it though.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #69
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default NEW PLAN and BES

Does anyone understand how BES is disabled with the new plan?

It doesn't seem like they can regulate it?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #70
jbinbi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Carrier: verizom

So I am thinking of changing from my treo 650 to pearl2. I currently have unlimited data at $45. I also use a program called pdanet that connects my treo to my laptop, and then i can use the internet on my laptop via the phone. unlimited data (maybe its 5GB, but I don't use that much).

Questions I have if I change to a BB:
a. Does the pearl actually allow me any address on the web, or or is it verizon web like on a regular phone. (i.e. can i type www.xyz.com on the BB)
b. Does the $30 unlimited plan allow for unlimited web? (I use POP accounts, so I assume I don't need the $44 plan)
c. The $44 unlimited plan I looked at on the vzw site specifically states that I cannot tether the BB to a computer. Is this capability there with a pearl, if not, I have to stay with the Treo.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #71
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

RIM regulates that, not the carriers. The BES/BIS capabilities of the BB are still controlled by RIM's servers.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #72
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
RIM regulates that, not the carriers. The BES/BIS capabilities of the BB are still controlled by RIM's servers.
So basically if I switch from my current $45 plan to the $30 plan than Verizon communicates to RIM and RIM cuts me off?

I'm still not sure I get how they can say no BES on this new plan?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #73
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

BB dataplans are activated and controlled by VZW "through" RIM's carrier interfaces. RIM's systems have very much control of that BB in your pocket based on it's IMEI, PIN, etc. Why do you think that if "RIM" has a BIS email issue it affect everyone on ALL carriers? If RIM was to dissappear off the face of the earth tomorrow, your BB would stop working immediately regardless of the carrier still being in business.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #74
dlsanders1957

Model: 9800
PIN: 22CA6CEA
Carrier: ATT

I just changed my plan from the $44.99 to the $29.99 over the phone today just because I am not using a BES. Nice of VZW to finally give a little break to the personal BIS users.

I just got my new 8830 yesterday and I am glad already I didn't hold out and wait for the pearl. The screen size and QUERTY KB are a pleasure after my 7130e.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #75
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

now correct me if I am wrong vzw texting is free on all plans

I am on one of the america choices with the 45. data plan and i dont pay for texting so some of this doesnt make sense to me
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #76
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

I think it's free if you have a "new" texting plan, I pay an extra 30 on my family plan and have unlimited text and pix mess. for camera phones and unlimited text for my two bb.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #77
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 321D643B

Quick question for those who switched to the 29.99 data plan; are you able to still use BB messenger? I just want to make sure bb messenger still works along with BIS. I have no need for BES..
Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #78
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
now correct me if I am wrong vzw texting is free on all plans

I am on one of the america choices with the 45. data plan and i dont pay for texting so some of this doesnt make sense to me
Free texting to everyone on any network... hard to believe. Free texting period is kind of hard to believe. Maybe someone is overlooking something or you have a free texting package that got grandfathered or something. Can you check your plan options and post what you find. I'm interested if you found a way to do this because I know I pay for mine and to my knowledge they don't have any BB plans that "includes" free texting.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #79
jbert

Just got switched to the new $29.99 UNLIMITED data plan from the $45.00 plan w/ Select Family Share Plan. It took 2 calls and 3 representatives so just keep trying till you get someone who knows what is going on (the first one said it was limited to 10MB, the second said I could not switch with a Family Plan). Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #80
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbert View Post
Just got switched to the new $29.99 UNLIMITED data plan from the $45.00 plan w/ Select Family Share Plan. It took 2 calls and 3 representatives so just keep trying till you get someone who knows what is going on (the first one said it was limited to 10MB, the second said I could not switch with a Family Plan). Good Luck!
Thanks, good to know and I wish I had been as lucky as you. I keep getting different info including that the 29.99 plan allows unlimited access, but not unlimited MB. I am going to keep trying.
Closed Thread