BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
EChid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default At the end of my tether with memory leaks, will it ever be fixed?

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, I should say that I have been a loyal BB user for the past four years. I had a Curve 8300 followed by my current Bold 9000, which is at about the 2 year old mark. I have installed version v5.0.0.464 on it (originally Rogers) and I really like the phone, but its just a mess and seems to (somehow) be getting worse.

I fresh restart gives me a mere 8.4MBs of space, and at this point if I forget to leave the browser open and the screen goes off I'm forced to reset about every half a day. Is this not ridiculous? Am I not wrong in thinking that problem such as a memory leak that is so entirely debilitating to the device is serious enough already be fixed after 5 versions of BB OS?

So, in other words. I barely have an apps installed. GMaps, Sync, the chat apps, FB, Twitter and Opera. I literally can't let the screen go out with the browser in use, and I can't reset my phone if the battery is below 50% because it produces massive drain that puts me down the 20% or lower. If I don't reset the phone once a day I start getting blinking incoming call notifications that I can't pick up, or the screen takes 45 seconds to turn on.

My questions are:

Is there any way to deal with this memory leak? Is my particular version of v5.0 bad for that?

Is there any way to deal with the battery drain produced by a reset?

Is there a reason that, with a new battery, this phone is at best making it to 5-6PM with normal use?

I can't deal with a slightly outdated OS, I can deal with slightly outdated processors and screens, but I cannot deal with a continued and completely ignored issue like memory leaks. Has this been fixed by ANY updates?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

How long has it been since you upgraded to this OS 5.0.0.464?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

What is the "Sync" app you're referring to? That sounds like it could be a battery drainer to me. How much space is taken up by your databases? Look in Options >Status >menu key >Database sizes.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
EChid

I updated in February 2010 to .464, but the phone wasn't in use for 3 months between now and then.

The Sync app is is the Google Sync app (contacts, calender). According to the app it syncs every 2 hours or "when changes are made" ...which is not that often, since I only make calender changes at most once a week and contacts randomly I can't imagine saps much. At any rate...I will turn it to manual and see if that makes a difference.

And, I'm not sure what numbers are important in the Database Sizes section, but the total stands at 744.2K.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I just don't get where all your memory is going. Do you have added themes or anything? You could go into the Help section of Google Maps and reset it as that clears all the map/data cache in Google Maps. Also, go to the Media application and hit the menu key and go to Options. Make sure that Device Memory Limit is set to 5MB.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You've got stuff you can delete if you've only got 8mb of file free after a reboot.

I'd also recommend a complete backup in Desktop Manager > Backup, and wipe the device (Options > Security) and then load the latest OS to the device > the restore your backup. That will certainly regain you 20-25 mb of space.

When you load the OS, use Mr. Clark's suggestions to remove ALL of the languages not needed as well as sample vids and other things not important.

You need to get the device to 25mb or so file free on reboot.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

You'll have a brand new device.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I haven't rewritten that post for OS 5.0 so the names of some of the .cod files may vary slightly. But, JSanders is correct, you need to get rid of some stuff.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
EChid

Okay, I will give that a try. It only seems to last for a few months and then I'm back to constant restarting. Its too bad, because I like almost everything else about this phone.

Getting off topic: Was this fixed at all for BB OS 6.0?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
EChid

In addition, apparently the most recent update for the 9000 has some really nasty memory leak, so would I be best to search around a bit for the best update?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Wilkster

Model: 8100c
PIN: N/A

I don't know if others have this issue, but after upgrading to 5.0 I had a big memory leak issue. I think I have isolated to the theme. A number of custom themes (even 5.0 unique ones) seem to leak. Using the stock precision theme seems to correct the issue.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
gbarayah

Carrier: AT & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkster View Post
I don't know if others have this issue, but after upgrading to 5.0 I had a big memory leak issue. I think I have isolated to the theme. A number of custom themes (even 5.0 unique ones) seem to leak. Using the stock precision theme seems to correct the issue.
I agree that the problem is theme-related. I did not have any problems with memory leaks until I tried using other themes aside from the stock precision. With custom themes, the memory leak issue is there. Its not as bad for me as others it seems but its bad enough that I need a battery pull every 36 hours or so...
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by EChid View Post
In addition, apparently the most recent update for the 9000 has some really nasty memory leak, so would I be best to search around a bit for the best update?
There are two 9000's in the home and the recent upgrade from 4.6 to 5.0 has affected the memory on both. You get a message that the memory is too low and you need to delete something. A reset gets it back - but still. Who wants to do that all the time... we had no trouble like this with 4.6.

We just use "Precision" theme - the one that came with the device.

Sandy

Last edited by The Sand; 09-03-2010 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Added Something
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
The Sand

One device is coming out of it… after the upgrade it may just take multiple restarts over days to get them “rolling” right. I had trouble with the sound as well, but both are doing better in that area.

Of course that doesn’t address the BB Bookmarks that can no longer be the start up page. The ranting I had to endure over that could be heard far and wide, like it’s my fault they took it away – the 3rd Bold user in the house won’t even update due to that…

Sandy
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
gbarayah

Well I think I may have jinxed myself by saying that I haven't been having a problem with memory leaks...

During the first week or so of running the 5.0 OS, my memory was doing great. I started with about 32MB free on reboot and rarely dropped below 28MB no matter my usage habits.

Apps Installed before leak issues Included:

Gmail
Google Maps
OperaMini
SportyPal
WeatherEye

After that first week, I installed some new apps, different themes and began to notice a memory issue.

Apps Installed:

Flashlight (App Pro Shop)
SmrtGuard
Plus a few themes I played around with (All 5.0 Specific)

I tried a few different weather apps also and some of those seemed to make things even worse. Note, I only had 1 weather app installed at a time. Those weather apps included:

Beweather (free version) - By far the worst leaking occurred with this installed
Weatherbug
Weather Plus
Weather Trax

I ended up reverting to Weathereye (which was being used before any memory leak issues). The leak isn't as bad now but is still there.

I am back to running the same apps I had before the memory leak issue. I am running the stock precision theme. The memory leak is strange. I start with about 30-31mb free after a fresh reboot. After that, the memory will fluctuate between 17mb and 27mb of free memory. There are times that it will suddenly drop so low that the device will re-boot itself.

I'm quite puzzled as what could be causing it. Perhaps a fresh install of the OS would help? Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
The Sand

The update to 5.0 enabled "Support JavaScript" in browser settings. We don’t ever have that checked (we use "Prompt to enable JavaScript) so I didn’t even think to look – but after the upgrade the devices were eating up cookies like the Cookie Monster. So, I checked and it was enabled on both 9000’s. I “unchecked” it and rebooted. After I did this the memory issues are okay now…

Is that why? I don’t know, but thought I would pass it along…

Sandy
Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
gbarayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
The update to 5.0 enabled "Support JavaScript" in browser settings. We don’t ever have that checked (we use "Prompt to enable JavaScript) so I didn’t even think to look – but after the upgrade the devices were eating up cookies like the Cookie Monster. So, I checked and it was enabled on both 9000’s. I “unchecked” it and rebooted. After I did this the memory issues are okay now…

Is that why? I don’t know, but thought I would pass it along…

Sandy
I had read something about that in another thread. I changed the settings in the browser but haven't really noticed a change in the way the memory seems to 'jump' around. For example, about two hours ago I was running about 22MB free and now I have close to 27MB free. In that time, I haven't done anything but sent a few SMS messages.

Not sure what is causing the problem. I don't mind it fluctuating up and down but when it comes crashing down to the point where the device re-boots, it is a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the help. I will keep researching and see if I can figure out the root cause of the problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
The Sand

Yes, I was crashing to the ground as well... with automatic reboots and messages to "delete" something, etc.

I am sill fluctuating, but have not gone below 22.8mb again. I am hoping changing that setting took care of this problem but there hasn't been enough days to really "know" that yet. But heck, better is better and I'll take it!

Good luck in your search and let us know if you discover anything...

Sandy
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
gbarayah

My memory problems have subsided... For now.

The memory still fluctuates but does not drop to the point where the device re-boots. I haven't done anything different so I'm not sure what caused the OS to run a little more stable.

I had removed Smrt Guard Security because I thought it might be causing the memory leak but even after re-installing the app, things are running much better.

Maybe it was the OS just getting "rolling" like you said. Whatever it was, I'm glad its working better now.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #19
nathan62969

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

I was having similar issues on my 9000 -- rapid application memory drain and fluctuation, but more importantly, very poor battery performance -- relatively rapid drain, very hard to fully charge.

Anyways, after upgrading from 5.0.0.592 to 5.0.0.822 with no improvement, followed the recommend of JSanders earlier this week -- security wipe of the applications data -- that corrected the problem.

Still haven't added back on some of the applications (Google Maps, Gwabbit, Youtube Player, Dictionary.com) that I had loaded before, still sort of wondering what led to the problem (sort of popped up over a week or two, while on vacation...in the desert...with no data service....at Burning Man ;), while just thought I would add in what worked for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by nathan62969; 09-17-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
The Sand

Default Re: At the end of my tether with memory leaks, will it ever be fixed?

We (2 users) have been pulling our batteries, every day, for months due to the memory issue from upgrading the OS. It just became a way of life for us.

A couple of weeks ago we switched from BIS to BES - problem solved. NO BATTERY PULLS for lack of memory in 3 weeks!

Sandy
Closed Thread