BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
btrimble

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Syncing Blackberry & gmail...

Please Login to Remove!

I am brand new to this website and have a few questions. I recently worked for a larger company and used the BB 7250 w/ Cingular. What I loved about it was that anything that I changed on Blackberry or within my Outlook on my laptop (contacts, calendar, e-mail, etc.) it automatically changed on my other device (laptop or Blackberry). It was my life as I am sure all of you can understand, and I loved it!!

I am now looking to start working for a smaller "start up" company which I am unsure of there "platform" and I do not have an e-mail address with them as of yet. However, I now have gmail for my e-mail service and I am now with Verizon. I am looking to have the same ability as I did before. How can I make that work? I have talked to Verizon and RIM and neither seemed to explain it to me in a way that I understood. Forgive me for not completely understanding the lingo but I would love for someone to basically tell me everything I would need to make this work. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your suggestions and advice. I will be happy to answer any questions that you need answered to provide me with the best possible answers.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

Sounds like you had a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server at your last job). This is the only way to have wireless syncing of contacts, calendar etc.

To use Gmail you nust now be using BIS (BlackBerry Interenet Service)
There are fewer wireless sync options with this - even though Verizon now has BIS 2.0

Basically it's email sync only - marks emails read/unread; wirleess deletes and sent email goes to the sent items folder

HOWEVER, these options are only really for IMAP; Exchange and Domino accounts. POP doesn't work the same - and Gmail is POP.

So basically, there's no way to get what you want without a BES - hope this helps explain it
Old 06-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Forgot to add BIS is one way sync only - handheld to integrated account

BES is 2 way
Old 06-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
btrimble

BERDucky -

Thank you so much for the information. That being said, I need BES to run it the way I was used to. What do I need from a computer (laptop) standpoint, as far as software to make it run properly? Is it cost effective with say 1-3 users? Are there any other solutions? Thanks again for your help and I am sure there will be more questions as I go along.

B
Old 06-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
btrimble

One other thing. I do remember at my last job that we used Outlook, in fact originally had to go to a website to see my e-mail, contacts and calendar, etc. Then I talked to the IT gentleman within our company and he walked me through setting up my e-mail, etc. on Outlook 2003 that I had on MY laptop. Then we went through an Enterprise Activation to make everything sync. Does this help or make better sense to you?

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

fraid i can't help you w/ your BES questions...i'm a BIS only person
perhaps if you post in BES admin you'll get the answers you need?

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
taftwatson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Full sync won't be possible without a BES server. Without it, you'll only be able to sync email and that will only be a one way sync.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
btrimble

Mr. Watson -

Thank you so much for your response. I am starting to realize my situation! Wish me luck...

B
Old 07-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Wink Don't forget Yahoo & RIM announced new features

Remember, back in April, Yahoo and RIM jointly announced an alliance and promised new features for Blackberries, including wireless email, calendar and address book sync.

Increased Integration

Yahoo Mail integration with the BlackBerry has also been enhanced. Messages will be delivered more quickly, and the companies say they are wirelessly synchronizing sent and deleted messages, and read vs. unread message status.

Users will also be able to wirelessly synchronize their Yahoo Address Book and Calendar from the BlackBerry, as well as modify and import entries.

Yahoo Search integration has also been enhanced under the relationship. Users will be able to click on an icon on the main BlackBerry to run searches.

We're still waiting, but...
Old 07-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
btrimble

Thanks for the info...patiently!!
Closed Thread