Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
stevevader

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Camera is DEAD...

Please Login to Remove!

My daughter's unlocked 8300 on TMO began having freeze-up issues with her camera about 2mos ago. In the last couple of weeks, when she opens the camera app (convenience key or from menu) the BB freezes and a battery pull must be done. I have wiped the phone and re-installed the latest ATT OS...and same result.
Must be a hardware problem.............Right??

Now, she is 16 and you can understand how important this camera function is to her so what kind kind of resale do you think I can get for this BB......to put towards a new Berry?
The camera is the only thing not working on this BB and the appearance is 8/10.
thanks everyone!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 4.6.0.67)

Try to update the OS to a newer version. 4.5 is out from Vodafone and it would add video functionality as well. Follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of the 8300 forums.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
htran10

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

how old is the phone?
maybe its still under warranty
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
kmccarthy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by htran10 View Post
how old is the phone?
maybe its still under warranty
+1. If I was in your position I would call up customer care and try to get it exchanged.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
stevevader

Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried to upgrade to 4.5.0.52, but I got the 507 error, so I just re-installed 4.2 (I successfully installed 4.5.0.52 on my wife's 8300 and all is stable). I first wiped my daughter's phone then re-installed 4.2, but still have the camera error.

I bought these phones used, so I doubt I can make any exchanges with them.

Oh, well..............maybe one more attempt to install 4.5.
Do you think the fact that there may be a hardware problem with the BB caused the 507 error I got on the 1st attempt to upgrade software.
thanks again,
Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
kmccarthy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevader View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried to upgrade to 4.5.0.52, but I got the 507 error, so I just re-installed 4.2 (I successfully installed 4.5.0.52 on my wife's 8300 and all is stable). I first wiped my daughter's phone then re-installed 4.2, but still have the camera error.

I bought these phones used, so I doubt I can make any exchanges with them.

Oh, well..............maybe one more attempt to install 4.5.
Do you think the fact that there may be a hardware problem with the BB caused the 507 error I got on the 1st attempt to upgrade software.
thanks again,
Not at all, you should try re-loading 4.5 on it. I just installed it on mine and it is working flawlessly.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Tmobile

Error 507 means no operating system found on the handheld.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
andrewfay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 30512751
Carrier: Verizon

Maybe make sure pics are being save to the microSD card - and put in a new card (or format the existing card) If she uses it that much it may be and SD hardware issue vs the device
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
styxgroupi
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: acle of love
Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice
Try to update the OS to a newer version. 4.5 is out from Vodafone and it would add video functionality as well. Follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of the 8300 forums.
:sniffle: I want 4.5 for my 8330... I know I know stop whinnin I get it when they,if they give it to me!

Last edited by styxgroupi; 07-15-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #10
ramshaka

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone
Default Faulty Camera

I am having the same issue with my Pearl8100.

I have tried removing camera, clearing and re-installing software etc. I purchased device almost new from ebay and RIM have wiped their hands on the warranty and responsibility even though phone was still in box and clear protective plastic.

Camera worked fine for a couple of days until I actually needed to use it and now shows blank white and slightly pink screen.

RIM/Blackberry have since ignored my requests for assistance and Vodafone are telling me that the device is faulty and it is a common issue.

Online forums also appear to show that it is common with Blackberry. Can anyone suggest a solution - I regret I ever purchsed a Blackberry to begin with. They can't even back their own products that go to market and are far to quick to wipe their hands of any issues with their products.

Help anyone???
Old 07-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
nzneil

Carrier: VodafoneNZ
Exclamation Fixing The Notorious "camera Error" !!!!

BEHOLD!!! AFTER 8 MONTHS OF SHEER FRUSTRATION FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO USE MY CAMERA/VIDEO CAMERA ON MY 8320 (AFTER IT RANDOMLY STOPPED WORKING ONE SUNNY DAY A MONTH AFTER I BOUGHT IT!! ), DESPITE FOLLOWING EACH AND EVERY SUGGESTION FROM THE WORLD WIDE WEB, I HAVE FINALLY DISCOVERED A CURE FROM THE DREADED "CAMERA ERROR" (AND HAAH!!..IT DOESNOT INVOLVE ANY RAMBLING OF MYSTICAL MANTRAS OR SACRIFICES TO THE BB GODS!!)

SO IF U SHARE THE COMMON MISFORTUNE OF RUNNING INTO THIS NASTY ERROR AND NONE OF THE STUFF YOUVE READ ON ANY OF THE OTHER SITES HAVE HELPED AND YOU ARE EAGER AND DESPERATE TO FIND A FIX THEN FOLLOW THE LAST RESORT METHOD BELOW (FOR A NON-TECHIE) TO DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT THE CAMERA (LENS, MOUNT AND/OR ATTACHED IC) IS BUSTED OR MERELY HAS DUST OR SOME UNIDENTIFIED GUNK BETWEEN ONE OF THE NUMEROUS CONTACTS INBETWEEN THE LENS AND ITS MOUNT CAUSING THE ERROR...

FIRST OF..FOLLOW THE GREAT VIDEO-AID TO DISASSEMBLE UR CAM-ENABLED BB (REMEMBERING FIRST TO BACKUP ALL THE STUFF ON UR PHONE, WASH UR HANDS, KEEPING UR DOG AT BAY, BRUSH UR TEETH, ETC. ETC. ) P.S. MAD PROPS TO MOBILEMAN FOR UPLOADING THIS VID..

[GO TO dubdubdub dot passionemobile dot com and search for the following vid --> Blackberry Curve 8300 disassembly ]

AFTER YOU GET THE BACK OFF THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD (PCB) EXPOSING THE CAMERA (AND OTHER GUTS OF THIS BB WONDER-DEVICE), ALWAYS MAKING SURE YOU ONLY HANDLE THE PCB FROM ITS EDGES TO REDUCE CHANCES OF ESD DAMAGE, GRIP THE LENS (AROUND THE PLASTICY BIT OF THE CAMERA - TRY NOT TO TOUCH THE ACTUAL GLASSY LENS BIT) BETWEEN YOUR THUMB AND INDEX FINGER AND GENTLY PUSH DOWN ON IT ROCKING BACK AND FORTH TO ENSURE GOOD CONTACT BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM (HIDDEN) CONTACTS - YOU SHOULD NOTICE THAT IT HAS A SPRINGY FEEL TO IT! ALSO TAKE A MOMENT TO VISUALLY INSPECT AROUND THE CAMERA AREA FOR ANY PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO EITHER THE CAMERA OR ANY COMPONENTS IN THE VICINITY! DONOT AT ANY STAGE REMOVE OR TRY REMOVE THE LENSE FROM ITS SUPPORT IC AS DOING THIS COULD/WILL SERIOUSLY SCREW UP YOUR CAMERA AND/OR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM (UNLESS DONE PROFESSIONALLY) AND RIM WILL LAUGH AT YOU WHEN U TELL THEM WHAT CAUSED IT!!

PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND JUICE UP UR BB!! IF UR CAMERA AND VIDCAM SPRINGS TO LIFE AGAIN, MY CONGRATULATIONS ON FIXING THIS NASTY ERROR URSELF WITHOUT SPENDING 100S OF $$ *:D* , IF IT DOESNT, CONGRATULATIONS FOR TRYING BUT UNFORTUNATELY, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SHELL OUT SOME $$ TO GET A FIX

HOPE THIS HELPS ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT YET MANAGED TO RID YOUR BB's OFF THIS NASTY ERROR!..CHEERS AND GOD BLESS!

P.S. THANX TO ALL WHO HAVE POSTED ON THIS SUBJECT, ITS YOUR MOTIVATION THAT KEPT ME EAGER TO FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS (AND NOT JUST TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT AND GRAB A NEW SYSTEM)..CHEERS!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Good information, but CAPS!

Dave
Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
qsterx

Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzneil View Post
AFTER YOU GET THE BACK OFF THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD (PCB) EXPOSING THE CAMERA (AND OTHER GUTS OF THIS BB WONDER-DEVICE), ALWAYS MAKING SURE YOU ONLY HANDLE THE PCB FROM ITS EDGES TO REDUCE CHANCES OF ESD DAMAGE, GRIP THE LENS (AROUND THE PLASTICY BIT OF THE CAMERA - TRY NOT TO TOUCH THE ACTUAL GLASSY LENS BIT) BETWEEN YOUR THUMB AND INDEX FINGER AND GENTLY PUSH DOWN ON IT ROCKING BACK AND FORTH TO ENSURE GOOD CONTACT BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM (HIDDEN) CONTACTS - YOU SHOULD NOTICE THAT IT HAS A SPRINGY FEEL TO IT! ALSO TAKE A MOMENT TO VISUALLY INSPECT AROUND THE CAMERA AREA FOR ANY PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO EITHER THE CAMERA OR ANY COMPONENTS IN THE VICINITY! DONOT AT ANY STAGE REMOVE OR TRY REMOVE THE LENSE FROM ITS SUPPORT IC AS DOING THIS COULD/WILL SERIOUSLY SCREW UP YOUR CAMERA AND/OR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM (UNLESS DONE PROFESSIONALLY) AND RIM WILL LAUGH AT YOU WHEN U TELL THEM WHAT CAUSED IT!!

PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND JUICE UP UR BB!! IF UR CAMERA AND VIDCAM SPRINGS TO LIFE AGAIN, MY CONGRATULATIONS ON FIXING THIS NASTY ERROR URSELF WITHOUT SPENDING 100S OF $$ *:D* , IF IT DOESNT, CONGRATULATIONS FOR TRYING BUT UNFORTUNATELY, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SHELL OUT SOME $$ TO GET A FIX
AWESOME Info, but a tip... just remove the battery door, gently push on the black plastic (not clear lens) of the camera with a blunt object, use firm steady pressure at North, East, West and South, maybe once or twice, even with the phone on you can do this.

Try your camera again.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Thanks, it worked on my wifes phone. I just called the local Alltel store to cancel my replacement order and let them know what to try to fix it.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Is this a fix just for the camera locking up or is this for the "could not start camera" error?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #16
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

could not start the camera error.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
DenSimDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

I tried the above and it worked. I no longer get the message however my cam is still doing its own thing. When I turn on the camera it will show a blank screen and then when I press on a particular area of the plastic camera housing it will begin showing but not in regular colors, only reds and and oranges. I'm glad I no longer get the message but I solved one problem for another.

NZNeil props to you.
Closed Thread