BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Converting from Redirector to BES (MS Exchange)

Please Login to Remove!

I haven't seen any topics on this, and there were no knowledge base articles on RIM's website from what I could tell, so I figure I'll post this up since its not as cut and dry as RIM support suggested.

RIM's suggestion was to uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 from Add/Remove and reinstall it as BlackBerry Desktop Manager (or not at all and do a wireless activation). I was told that the Desktop [] service books did not need to be removed.

Okay, with that said, I had some new users remove BDR and install BDM. After that was completed, I added them to the BES 4.0.1 server, selecting for the server to remove any previous information that existed. The user was added with their PIN and message statistics already populated to the server. This let me know something was wrong with the process that RIM had given me.

By the time I got to the second user, I figured out a different process in the conversion completely by accident which I ended up testing out successfully with the third user.

Process:

- Uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Software and reinstall as BlackBerry Desktop Manager for BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange
- Remove Desktop [CMIME] and Desktop [CICAL] service books from handheld
- Add the user to the BES and select to remove any previous information
- Remove the user from the BES and select to remove all information from the user's mailbox
- Re-add the user to the BES and select to remove any previous information

At this point, they should be able to do a wired or wireless activation.

The removal of the user will clear out the HandheldUserInfo database information from their Exchange mailbox. This can be accomplished by using dbclean.exe from their machine prior to adding them to the BES as well, so there is another option for you to try.

Hope this helps anyone else going through this process. Its a pain in the butt, but it works and its just an extra two steps in the process.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

The only difference between BDM being installed as BES as opposed to BDR is that with BES the BDR software is not added in the Startup folder.

Your process semm very flawed. I would think that you could do it as such:

- Remove Desktop Redirector from Startup (not necessary)
- Add the user to the BES (yes you will see the PIN #)
- Cradle the user with BDM open or perform an Enterprise Activation from the handheld

When you add a user to the Server and select to remove information you are only clearing Stats which does not include the PIN number or Filters. When you remove a user from the Server and select to remove information then it will clear the stats as well as PIN and Filters.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Enterprise Activation did not work when leaving the information on the BES - wired or wireless. This is why I simply removed them and removed their settings then readded.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
BBTechGuy

Interesting. I stand corrected then. That doesn't sound like an intentional way of having this work.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

oh, i agree. the above should probably be used simply for the sole purpose of a workaround. this wasn't the first time that i've called in to RIM for 'peace of mind' and what i was told ended up not working.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
BBTechGuy

I tested this today and it worked fine for me without adding and then removing the user. I followed the steps I had noted previously.
Closed Thread