Default Spell Check?

Please Login to Remove!

Does the 8700 have a spell check?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
careyana
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: CingATT

It does not but there is aftermarket software.

bbSpell the Spell Checker for Blackberry
Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I have Sprint and they have a free one on their website to download, try checking your carrier.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I use eSpell from dynoplex. While it isn't free, it is the only one that does the spell check on the device without having to send your email to a third party server (if you aren't running your own spell check server).

Do a search, there are a few around, including a free one that uses google.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
pengrus

Model: 8800

Michael,

I am also using espell. How do you remove the eOffice/eFile component that come with eSpell? I find it annoying to add those on. And I get multiple emails from them asking to try their eOffice. When I replied to those emails asking question of removing eoffice, there is no response.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

pengrus sorry but I have them loaded too and gave up on trying to get rid of it.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
alevine

Model: 8700r
Default reply to question about other e-File components

I similarly find it annoying and I called DynoPlex tech support (1-212-400-7602) in an effort to obtain only the e-spell program. I was advised that espell is actually a subprogram within the efile program and you basically cannot have one without the other.

On the second matter, I do not know why you are getting annoying email to add in other e-office products like e-word unloess you have an evaluation / trial copy of the program running and have not registered espell on line yet (this is done within the e-file program on your Blackberry) . I'd drop them an email or call tech support and formally request them to lose your email address if the annoyance continues after you try my suggestion.

Aaron
Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
bucketmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon 5.0.0.xxx

try lexspell........free LexSpell spell checker for BlackBerry
Old 01-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
pengrus

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketmouth
try lexspell........free LexSpell spell checker for BlackBerry
Yes, I am using the LexSpell now, and found it very easy to use, perfect integration with BB, device based, free version available (I've paid my copy for their wonderful work).
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

I'm using LexSpell right now too, and it's pretty good. The best part is that is that it's not server based.

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
alevine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus
Michael,

I am also using espell. How do you remove the eOffice/eFile component that come with eSpell? I find it annoying to add those on. And I get multiple emails from them asking to try their eOffice. When I replied to those emails asking question of removing eoffice, there is no response.
I dowloaded and paid for Lexspell and I have a nice dictoinary and icon. Do I not get a "spell check" line under my generic email program on my Blackberry so that I can run a spell check on mewly composaed email before it is sent ? Secondly, can I add words to the dictionary ?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by alevine
I dowloaded and paid for Lexspell and I have a nice dictoinary and icon. Do I not get a "spell check" line under my generic email program on my Blackberry so that I can run a spell check on mewly composaed email before it is sent ? Secondly, can I add words to the dictionary ?
Go into the settings for LexSpell, make sure the box is checked to add it to email. Even if it is checked, once you exit, then go into compose a message it should be there.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile
Default Missing LexSpell menu in email composer

Quote:
You may find a suggested explanation/solution here:
Re: BB 8700c LexSpell

And yes, you can add words to the dictionary. It is done the same way as with all other spell checkers - during spell checking when you come across unknwon word you can correct, ignore or add it to the custom list.

- bobby

www.beiks.com

Last edited by kolev; 01-12-2007 at 06:01 PM..
Old 01-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

I downloaded the LexSpell and like it. I like how the dictionary is local as well. Nice program.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I am running LexSpell also. Seems to be a great program. Self contained with little or no baggage. The price was right also.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
alevine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoUp
Go into the settings for LexSpell, make sure the box is checked to add it to email. Even if it is checked, once you exit, then go into compose a message it should be there.
After receiving your email I realize that there are two parts to the program A) the dictionary that installed fine and B) spellchecker program that I downloaded directly to my Blackberry. Upon installation I cannot open the Lexspell program and recive an error message "Uncaught exception:java.lang.Error". Before I jumped ship I treied to use e-Spell however their tech support gave me the run around in trying to get that program to work on my Blackberry and I was receiving the same error message. Once I removed the e-Spell program, the error message disappeared as well. Well here we go again..... any suggestions how to fix this once and for all .
Thanks

Aaron
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
After receiving your email I realize that there are two parts to the program A) the dictionary that installed fine and B) spellchecker program that I downloaded directly to my Blackberry. Upon installation I cannot open the Lexspell program and recive an error message "Uncaught exception:java.lang.Error". Before I jumped ship I treied to use e-Spell however their tech support gave me the run around in trying to get that program to work on my Blackberry and I was receiving the same error message. Once I removed the e-Spell program, the error message disappeared as well. Well here we go again..... any suggestions how to fix this once and for all .
Thanks

Aaron
Hmm, if I were you I would manually uninstall/delete not only both LexSpell and eSpell, but also any other application/module that I know would not be needed. If you do not know, do not risk anything, but I would try to free as much as I can.

Once that is done, I would try installing LexSpell again (including the dictionary file, of course).

Also, if your BES is under corporate governance, chances are the application access priviledges are modified. Go in Preferences/Applications and see (via menu command) what are the rights of the LexSpell application.
But I would not expect this to be neccessary.

Should the problem continue to display itself, contact the BEIKS support.
I dare say it is pretty darn good, especially considering you may not never decide to pay for LexSpell...

By the way, since yesterday there is a new version of LexSpell posted on Welcome to BEIKS Mobile! . Details on what's new are posted on pinstack.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

bbspell works the best as a server program and you can get a discount from my tips page on spell checkers.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #19
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev
Hmm, if I were you I would manually uninstall/delete not only both LexSpell and eSpell, but also any other application/module that I know would not be needed. If you do not know, do not risk anything, but I would try to free as much as I can.

Once that is done, I would try installing LexSpell again (including the dictionary file, of course).

Also, if your BES is under corporate governance, chances are the application access priviledges are modified. Go in Preferences/Applications and see (via menu command) what are the rights of the LexSpell application.
But I would not expect this to be neccessary.

Should the problem continue to display itself, contact the BEIKS support.
I dare say it is pretty darn good, especially considering you may not never decide to pay for LexSpell...

By the way, since yesterday there is a new version of LexSpell posted on Welcome to BEIKS Mobile! . Details on what's new are posted on pinstack.
kolev or anyone,

I am considering purchasing and installing LexSpell and wanted to know initially how much space the programs (dictionary and spell checker) take up on your blackberry. I have a 8700 model, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #20
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy
kolev or anyone,

I am considering purchasing and installing LexSpell and wanted to know initially how much space the programs (dictionary and spell checker) take up on your blackberry. I have a 8700 model, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Significant part of the ideology around LexSpell is that you download and try the program before you ever spending any money on it. Presumably, if you find it good, you may decide it fair to pay for it, but you are not anyhow forced to do that - it's up to your conscious.

The reason I say this is because no matter what I tell you the size is, there is only one reliable way of knowing whether it'll be good enough or not and that is exactly installing it on the device and spending some time with it.

This is particularily true in the BlackBerry world where details as available heap, number of background processes, largest available chunk of memory etc. are hidden from developers.

It may often seem (to a user) that their BlackBerry has sufficient resources, but it may still refuse to load or run an application. Trust me if you want, but because BEIKS' dictionaries and phrase books were the first to push the BlackBerry limits in the memory department we know a lot about that.

Conclusion is - even if I tell you what it requires that would not help.
Only thing that will tell you if it's good for you is to download and try it.

And, for what it's worth, I am running it on 8700 as well
"A pocket full of knowledge"
Closed Thread