BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Whether to get the BOLD or Iphone?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm deciding between getting the bold or the iphone... can someone please point me in the direction of which I should choose and why.

What is better overall, the bold or iphone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
craigw9292
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I found the iPhone too fragile and the keyboard just too slow - also if you txt a lot having to jump between chats was a pain. All in one messaging has its advantages.

If you have more than 1 mailbox, don't get an iphone.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
328iGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21569E16
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

My wife had the IPone for 3 days and went back to her Blackberry, I wouldn't even touch it. The touch screen IMHO is terrible for typing on.

I am a true Crackberry addict thats for sure.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Doubt you will get a true non-biased opinion here! i had an iPhone for a couple days. Gave up when it too 45 minutes and half the battery to try to retrieve email (and didn't). Went directly back to my 8800.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Swede
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

And besides, if you drive a 328i, you should have a blackberry, correct?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
328iGuy

Model: 9700
PIN: 21569E16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
And besides, if you drive a 328i, you should have a blackberry, correct?
I don't drive a 328i and haven't for years, this is an old nick I have used all along. Actually down to a Volvo XC90 now .
Old 10-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Swede
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

It's all good, I want to get rid of my Iphone as well and go back to the BB. I sit and wait on the Bold, if I am going to do it, I'm gonna do it right, and do it with a Bold.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

If you like the iPhone touchscreen you may like the Blackberry Storm even better. See the 9500 forum for details. From the specs it'll be better than the new iPhone in just about every category and the touchscreen is far easier to type on (tactile input as well as the electromagnetic highlighting of letters). Check it out. It will probably be released before the Bold in the US.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Hardwaregeek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800

If you like to make phone calls with your phone then don't get an IPhone. Just horrible phone performance and various other problems I experienced while I had one for 2 weeks. Went back to my 8820 and I am happy again. Waiting on the Bold to launch so I can get a better device. The IPhone was very good at web browsing but that was about it, everything else was a PIA and didn't work very well at all. I don't see what all the buzz was about I thought the device was woefully inadequate for a person using it for business. Your mileage may vary though.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
DannyV

iPhone is really cool, but the battery life on that thing is horrible!! Couple of days ago me and my friends went for a road trip. I was using Google Maps + GPS on my Bold all day long, did not even bother to shut it down when not using, and by 9 pm my phone still had about 15-20% of battery left. My buddy's iPhone was 50% depleted after 1 hour of using google maps + gps!! As soon as you start using iPhone heavily, it just drains the battery.

Besides, if you send lots of emails and do instant messaging, Bold's keyboard is much better. Touch screen is a nice toy, but in my opinion impossible to use for typing fast.

I absolutely prefer Bold to iPhone even though is a very cool toy to play with. But as soon as you're done playing and want some performance, that's when iPhone sucks big time.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

While not completely impartial - I can tell you that if multi-media is of prime importance to you for owning a smartphone then go iPhone.

If smartphone functionality is what your after with the emphasis on phone, then Blackberry is the answer.

My reason for staying with BB
- Bluetooth headset voice dialing
- keyboard is much faster - I email a lot
- copy and past (seriously)
- BES server functionality
Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You won't find a bigger Macintosh fanboi than me, but I won't use the iPhone. My wife has one and loves it, but I can't stand the virtual keyboard. MAYBE it would be useable to me if Apple let it function in landscape mode, but as it is I find it horrendous. That's Deal Breaker #1. If I can't type on it comfortably then it's of no use to me.

Deal Breaker #2: No copy/paste. I use this all the time. I can copy an entire paragraph from email and paste it into a note with my Blackberry. I can also copy and paste from one email into a new email. I do this a lot as well. How can a smart phone NOT have this in 2008?

Deal Breaker #3: No MMS messages. Hey, if everyone you know has email on their phone then this is a non-issue. But I have over 300 entries in my address book and only about 1/2 of them have smart phones with email. The iPhone will only send a picture as email. And it won't receive pictures unless they're in email messages. Again, in 2008, how is there no MMS in a smart phone?
Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I have an Iphone 3g I am using as my primary device to hold me over until the Bold is released sometime this year or next. For messaging the BB is better but its OS is dated when it comes to applications, programs etc. I will compare the 2 once I get the Bold and decide which one I will use the most. I will probably just swap the sim back and forth. I have been using my BB sim in my iphone 3g and it works perfectly.

Apple has released 2.1 software which fixes a lot of bugs etc. By the time the Bold is released they will probably have 2.2 out
Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibodybuild View Post
I'm deciding between getting the bold or the iphone... can someone please point me in the direction of which I should choose and why.

Thanks in advance.
This is what killed my iPhone experience. Battery Life:

Battery life on iPhone: 7 Hours.. Maybe
Battery life on BB: 2 Full Days

iPhone also lacks some truly simple features such as, No MMS, No Copy/Paste, No Video Recording, No Flash.

Points do go to the iPhone for App Repositories, an Amazing OS, the most user friendly virtual keyboard that I have experienced, and a great looking device. It's just missing some features that would truly set it over the top.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibodybuild View Post

Thanks in advance.
I have both, the bold hands down is a superior device. The only thing I like on the iphone 3g compared to the bold is the im style text and the ipod features (most of my music/videos are drm in iphone which is a bit of a pita now using my bold.).

I say go with the bold, you will not regret it.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
DorianB

My iPhone is the worst performing PHONE of my entire life going right back to the Motorola 'brick'.

Blackberry's are great for phone and email. The Bold needs the latest software revision though - first release had a few minor bugs.

I carry both and the iPhone is lucky it hasn't met an untimely death off a high balcony. DO NOT use an iPhone for business.

If you care about typing speed I estimate that I type on the iPhone at 25% of the rate on my Bold.

Dorian
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Marli

Carrier: Telstra

I tried an iPhone. Keyboard just doesnt work for anything more than playing around.

Web worked well, thats about all.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #18
eonov
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Invalid
Carrier: XL

I waited too long for the Bold to be available in my country, so bought iPhone.
iPhone is good for multimedia, picture presentations, music and games.

Have been using Bold since the day I can get my hands on, had problems with battery life on the old OS. But with new released OS 4.6.0.162, BOLD ROCKS.

Bold ftw !!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
bostonnerd

Model: z10

After years of BB use, I've been using an iPhone for the last 3 months or so. It's a great device, but for business use on a BES it isn't close to a BB. The Exchange sync worked well enough, but it was missing too many features that I came to rely on.

Just went back to BB this morning. It's like having an old friend around again.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx

Both are great devices. I think it comes down to whether or not you like touchscreens or actual keyboards. But if you plan on using the device through work, I would definitely say Blackberry. Their BES is untouchable to Apple.
Closed Thread