BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default So what was the gift at the NY launch party?

Please Login to Remove!

Bold or Michael Phelps book lol?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

i guess nada...been pretty damn quiet...lol.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Usually we get live blogs from these launch events lol.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

they got bamboozled i tell u....lmao.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
ad65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Smile

A cd and a Bold voucher.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

From what I heard, this was the most pointless launch party ever. Many people felt like they wasted a night.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
mic_crispy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

I went to the one here in Dallas.. free drinks and food so i cant complain TOO much, but yeah, kinda pointless. no one had a release date (i asked everyone with a blackberry badge lol)....

However, 6 people DID win bolds but RIM wont ship them to the winners for 2 months!! I doubt it will take the phone 2 months to release, but im guessing they dont wana risk giving 6 AT&T reps bolds before they launch... or giving it some time to settle down so they dont flip them on ebay for $900.

BTW i literally just got a call from a customer (i work in a store) who was literally yelling at me telling me how much BS it was that RIM didnt have a launch date.... Kinda funny.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 10-17-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Did you explain to your customer that RIM released this device months ago and ATT is the hold up?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

I have a feeling we may not see the Bold until December or Jan. It is going to take 2 months to ship them to the winners and ATT has no release date. I think they are just trying to get the hype up now.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
mic_crispy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
Did you explain to your customer that RIM released this device months ago and ATT is the hold up?
No because i dont know that for sure. I had a strong feeling it was AT&T to begin with (3g network issues) but since Orange pulled the Bold until software issues get worked out, im thinking that its a mix of RIM and AT&T..

Either way, i didnt want to make him more upset than he already was. The only answer i have is i dont know. I doubt the CEO of RIM even has a date set.. they are prob just waiting for whatever issue to get worked out and it will be released then.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
mic_crispy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I have a feeling we may not see the Bold until December or Jan. It is going to take 2 months to ship them to the winners and ATT has no release date. I think they are just trying to get the hype up now.

Well i dont think we will have to wait 2 months, i believe they are doing that as a worst case scenario in the "rare" event that it doesnt ship this month or next so that some random AT&T Reps arnt walking around with free bolds.

I really, really expect to see the phone by late november. Just a feeling?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint
Default Re: So what was the gift at the NY launch party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Bold or Michael Phelps book lol?
A CD of the musical artist that performed on stage and a nice RIM / AT&T promo luggage tag... also A Thank You for Coming card, which also indicated that attendees will receive the Bold upon release, to be delivered to attendee's registration information address. . . no release date was mentioned... this reminded me of the 8700C launch, wherein the devices were not at all (technically?) ready for release at this time, took as much as 3-4 weeks before they were delivered to attendees. . .

Onsite event registration was a mess. Invitees were actually standing online that wrapped around the building while 3 people at the door checked ID against the guest lists in order to get in. Once inside, another ID verification to get Event Name Tag.. . some people's tags were not even ready so they had to fall in line again at another section of registration where they print-out tags. It took me an hour from the time I got there to getting a drink in hand.

The place was packed with suited folks hoping to take home their very own Bold . . . Food and drinks were better than good... RIM and AT&T execs spoke then Michael Phelps and Bob Bowman, then the music act.

I bet everyone's disappointed to leave without the Bold in hand . . . good thing the food was in great supply that the dumplings, sushi, chicken satay and lamb chops were still coming at a couple of buffet tables when other tables turned-over into dessert stations.

Overall, the event beats going home to frozen dinner and network TV. . . I now look forward to the UPS or FedEx guy bringing my own BB Bold. . . .

Last edited by crisambo; 10-17-2008 at 01:52 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I took my unlocked Rogers Bold into my local AT&T store yesterday and caused quite a stir. "Where can I get THAT?", one customer asked. The reps all fondled it and several said they're ditching iPhones for it when it's available. One rep was comical. He said he asks their up-line constantly about it. The answer has always been the same for the last 3 months: "At the end of this month." Last time he asked, the guy added "We really mean it this time." The rep said if he hears that line one more time he's taking a swing at the guy. Apparently they're as sick of waiting as everyone else. Plus they field endless questions about it.

The store manager asked me quietly if I though a lot of AT&T customers "out in the wild" have bought the Bold elsewhere and got it unlocked. I said that yes, I believe that possibly half the potential buyers have already secured Bolds through other means. He was surprised at first, then said they couldn't expect customers to wait so long when there were other means of getting one, and after all, a Blackberry is a Blackberry no matter who you get it from.

I'm expecting the AT&T release Any Day Nowxxx8482;.

Last edited by rambo47; 10-17-2008 at 02:01 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
mic_crispy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
A CD of the musical artist that performed on stage and a nice RIM / AT&T promo luggage tag... also A Thank You for Coming card, which also indicated that attendees will receive the Bold upon release, to be delivered to attendee's registration information address. . . no release date was mentioned... this reminded me of the 8700C launch, wherein the devices were not at all (technically?) ready for release at this time, took as much as 3-4 weeks before they were delivered to attendees. . .

Onsite event registration was a mess. Invitees were actually standing online that wrapped around the building while 3 people at the door checked ID against the guest lists in order to get in. Once inside, another ID verification to get Event Name Tag.. . some people's tags were not even ready so they had to fall in line again at another section of registration where they print-out tags. It took me an hour from the time I got there to getting a drink in hand.

The place was packed with suited folks hoping to take home their very own Bold . . . Food and drinks were better than good... RIM and AT&T execs spoke then Michael Phelps and Bob Bowman, then the music act.

I bet everyone's disappointed to leave without the Bold in hand . . . good thing the food was in great supply that the dumplings, sushi, chicken satay and lamb chops were still coming at a couple of buffet tables when other tables turned-over into dessert stations.

Overall, the event beats going home to frozen dinner and network TV. . . I now look forward to the UPS or FedEx guy bringing my own BB Bold. . . .

Whoa so everyone who went to your party will be getting a BOLD?? Thats crazy they only "gave" 6 away at our party... are you at a COR location or Agent?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post

I'm expecting the AT&T release Any Day Now™.
HAHAHAHAHA...

I suppose that AT&T has that phrase trademarked?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default How now is soon?

OK, now that we know the left coast launchers got real good door prizes, anyone from the NYC launch get a Bold yet, as promised, or will they hold off until or after 11/4/8?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
acohen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I was at the NYC event and it's been radio-silent, no Bold and no word. I posted a similar question yesterday and didn't get a single response. I'm assuming no news is bad news and that no one who was at the NYC launch event has received their unit yet.

I do expect once NYC attendees start receiving them that the boards will light up! Letxxx8217;s hope itxxx8217;s soon!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

I've been making do in the meantime by scrolling through Stinsonddog's First Draft Bold Tips and Tricks, and it's not quite the same as actually having the phone in your possession.
Closed Thread