Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: T-Mobile, at&t
Question T-Mobile Phone Upgrade Question

Please Login to Remove!

What I currently have:

1. Blackberry 8100 Pearl
2. T-Mobile is my carrier
3. Blackberry Minutes & Mail is my plan for $59.99/month I get 1000 whenever minutes and unlimited data & text

How my plan is billed:

BB BIS Access: $19.99
BB MinMail BIS: $40.00

Little Background:

I have had this phone and this plan for almost 3 years. The contract was of course fulfilled, and I never changed anything with my plan. I am happy with the plan, and I really don't want to change it because it's inexpensive. However, I could change the plan, but i could only take on a slight payment increase. (my budget is tight).

My Question:

I have been looking on tmobile's website at the upgrade phone feature. I would really like to get a new blackberry such as the 8900 or 9700 (doesn't matter which). I just need a Blackberry that has a full qwerty keyboard and a larger screen for viewing documents and web pages.

When I go to the upgrade phone feature and choose one of the above mentioned phones and opt into a 2 year extension I get the following small print:

Quote:
Activation of a new two year agreement on a qualifying voice plan and data service is required. A data service allows access to this phone’s Web functionality and features.

When you receive your phone, please visit My T-Mobile and add a data service. Once added, the data service may not be removed during your contract term but can be changed to other data services compatible with your device.

Choose from three options (taxes and fees are additional):

Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages:
Unlimited Web access, unlimited domestic messages: $34.99/month

BlackBerry Unlimited w/Enterprise E-mail Add-on
Add access to BlackBerry corporate data features to a voice rate plan. For use with BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) software, includes unlimited BES access, BlackBerry Web Client e-mail, and Web browsing. Does not include text/instant messaging: $29.98/month

Unlimited Web:
Unlimited Web access $24.99/month
Now I already have a voice and data plan (my Blackberry Minutes & Mail). I contacted their customer service via phone and spoke with a representative, and the gentleman was pretty clueless concerning how to address this situation. The way he explained it was that I would keep my $59.99/month Blackberry Minutes & Mail plan and I would have to add one of the above mentioned data plans.

It makes no sense to me that I should have to pay for an additional data plan when I already have one. I thought you could upgrade to a new phone with the agreement that you would extend your existing contract for an additional 2 years.

Why do I have to subscribe to an additional data plan? Has anyone done the upgrade and if so did you have to subscribe to an additional data plan? Why can't I just drop my $19.99/month BB BIS Access and add one of the above data plans if they really want me to add a new data plan?

Thanks in advance for looking at my question,
Jake

-T-Mobile Blackberry Bold 9700 (Black)
Old 01-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
lacroixn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile

Wirelessly posted (blackberry pearl 8120)

Jake call 611 and ask for the loyalty dept. Tell them exactly what you just stated, you will pay 199 for the 9700. Good luck
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Rend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroixn View Post
Wirelessly posted (blackberry pearl 8120)

Jake call 611 and ask for the loyalty dept. Tell them exactly what you just stated, you will pay 199 for the 9700. Good luck

Thank you I will try that because I honestly think the first representative I spoke with didn't have a clue what I was asking.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320)

Were you logged into the tmobile website whenb you were going through the upgrade process?...

I upgraded to the 9700 via the website and have the same plan as you. When I wasn't logged in, I saw the message you describe but when I logged in they didn't say anything about a plan.

Or you could just call. Either way you'll get the discount and be able to keep ur plan.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Jake, I suspect that when you switch your BIS to the new blackberry, you fulfill the terms of the sale. I haven't purchased the 9700, but in the past when I've upgraded I haven't had a problem such as you are worrying about. Still, I'd call tmobile again and confirm.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Rend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltj13 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8320)

Were you logged into the tmobile website whenb you were going through the upgrade process?...

I upgraded to the 9700 via the website and have the same plan as you. When I wasn't logged in, I saw the message you describe but when I logged in they didn't say anything about a plan.

Or you could just call. Either way you'll get the discount and be able to keep ur plan.
Yea I was logged in when I tried doing the upgrade process. I did try to call them again today, but they are not open due to the holiday. I am going to try to call them tommorow.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Rend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

Jake, I suspect that when you switch your BIS to the new blackberry, you fulfill the terms of the sale. I haven't purchased the 9700, but in the past when I've upgraded I haven't had a problem such as you are worrying about. Still, I'd call tmobile again and confirm.
Ok, yes, this is my first time doing an upgrade and the previous representative that I spoke with wasn't helpful because I know he didn't understand my question.

You guys seem to fully understand my question, and I'm thankful for your replies.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Rend

UPDATE:

I contacted customer service and I got a representative that understood my question. He instructed me that I would have to drop my old $19.99/month BIS Access. The new data access plan will allow me to fulfill the obligations of the deal and allow me to take full advantage of their data network.

I only increased my monthly bill by $10.00 so I am happy and I have a new Blackberry Bold 9700 on the way. ;)

Thank you all for your help.

Jake

Last edited by Rend; 01-05-2010 at 02:20 AM..
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
ericas8120

Model: 9780
PIN: 238E6027

CRAP! I have had the following BB bundle since it came out (and I had one of those Minutes and Mail plans prior to this plan LOL):

I DO NOT want to lose this when I upgrade in a little over 8 weeks. The reason is because it's the ONLY one I can afford to pay living on disability benefits (although the EMP Unlimited or EMP 1000 plans look tempting). Will I be able to keep my plan listed above?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rend View Post
UPDATE:

I contacted customer service and I got a representative that understood my question. He instructed me that I would have to drop my old $19.99/month BIS Access. The new data access plan will allow me to fulfill the obligations of the deal and allow me to take full advantage of their data network.

I only increased my monthly bill by $10.00 so I am happy and I have a new Blackberry Bold 9700 on the way. ;)

Thank you all for your help.

Jake
Does the new arrangement include unlimited messaging?

I think that's the only difference between doing it the way you're getting it done, and a completely new plan. I have the same plan, but wanted to just keep it at $59.99 and get a new phone. But $69.99 is interesting if it includes sms.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Rend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericas8120 View Post
CRAP! I have had the following BB bundle since it came out (and I had one of those Minutes and Mail plans prior to this plan LOL):

I DO NOT want to lose this when I upgrade in a little over 8 weeks. The reason is because it's the ONLY one I can afford to pay living on disability benefits (although the EMP Unlimited or EMP 1000 plans look tempting). Will I be able to keep my plan listed above?
Contact tmobile's customer service, and they should be able to help you.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Rend

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Does the new arrangement include unlimited messaging?

I think that's the only difference between doing it the way you're getting it done, and a completely new plan. I have the same plan, but wanted to just keep it at $59.99 and get a new phone. But $69.99 is interesting if it includes sms.
According to the representative it does. He said my SMS was a part of the $40.00 BB MinMail BIS and not a part of the $19.99 BB BIS Access.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
ericas8120

Model: 9780
PIN: 238E6027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rend View Post
Contact tmobile's customer service, and they should be able to help you.
Thanks. I will update this when I upgrade.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
fritz269

Model: 9700
PIN: Ask
Carrier: T-Mobile

I Get unlimited minutes
unlimited text
unlimited web for $79.99

Also they have a feature that you can make monthly payments on the price of a new phone.
Closed Thread