Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #21
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
PIN: N/A
Carrier: FBSD

Please Login to Remove!

I have and 8310 from ATT. Yes, it's also red. Didn't get any special discounts though and would like to know how y'all wrangle them because when I ask the response is basically to the effect that the pricing is fixed in stone.

As for CDMA vs. GSM, like OP we've been on vzw for several years now. The call quality on GSM is noticeable step down from what we've become accustomed to on cdma. Tolerable but we've been spoiled on cdma and gsm is still something we need to get used to. Also testing a Nokia E61i and it's a bit better than the 8310, but not day and night.

One nice aspect of having a camera on business phone - if you meet a lot of people snapping a quick pic for your contacts database can be helpful for jogging your memory.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #22
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T

wow, noticing everyone seems to have the crimson 8310....From the pic on the website, i cant say that I want to get it. It must look better in person.

Sticking with my titanium i think
Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #23
dirtypirate
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 0.7 Red Ink
Carrier: Slave by Contract to AT&T

I'm going to be switching from Verizon (boo hiss...) to AT&T (hooray) later this week. I'm getting a pair of the 8310's. One titanium and the other in the crimson. [The local store finally has them awaiting my pickup]. I'm doing them on the family plan for voice and add the blackberry premium plan for both. I'm opting to take my existing number with me so that will be a first. I'll repost to add the results of this transition on Thursday evening or so....
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #24
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

look forward to hearing your impressions.....

Though i dont like the 'boo hiss' for verizon! i was a customer for ~8years. Finally living somewhere where service is sub par and i jump ship!

Still have them on my business phone though
Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #25
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsandham View Post
Didn't get any special discounts though and would like to know how y'all wrangle them because when I ask the response is basically to the effect that the pricing is fixed in stone.
I'm a professional negotiator...
Old 10-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #26
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber9583 View Post
wow, noticing everyone seems to have the crimson 8310....From the pic on the website, i cant say that I want to get it. It must look better in person.
Yes, It looks so much better in person. I hesitated until I saw it as I use if for business and alway have basic color of Black or Silver.

However once I saw it in person and found that it's very understated and dignified looking, I could not pass it up, as Red is my Favorite Color.

Quote:
Sticking with my titanium i think
I also looked at the Titanium model and it's also a very classy color. A difficult decision. I think you will really like the Titanium, as it's equally as impressive.

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #27
luleese

I got my 8310 a few days ago and I love it. Call quality is superb and the speakerphone is VERY loud if you turn it up all the way.

Web browsing and e-mail are also great, and I recommend downloading Opera Mini v4 beta 2 if you're at all interested in viewing full websites.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #28
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've had my 8310 for almost a week now and I am loving it. My co-workers are all jealous, my mom is jealous and my BF is jealous too (and he's the one who bought me this thing).
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #29
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hey, guys/gals...haven't been here in awhile since I laid down my 8300 to go to the "darkside" with the iPhone (bad experience...long story)...and have pretty much gone full-circle to "dumbphones" since then.

But lately...I have been missing my BlackBerrys, the Curve in particular. So, I am thinking about using my AT&T upgrade on a red 8310.

Aside from the GPS...are there any real build-quality or performance improvements/differences from the original 8300?

How is the earpiece volume? My 8300 was fine...is the 8310 as loud or louder?

If all is ""...I might be around here again...and more often.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #30
fkjr2

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Just placed my order a few days ago from LetsTalk. Yep its back ordered and was told shipment was to come in last night....So hoping to get it by Friday.

Anyways, can anyone with this phone tell me how they like it? I am coming from a VZW 8830. Pros/Cons....

I couldnt care less about wifi so thats not a negative to me. Any information would be great!

edit: any information on the mic would be great. the 8830 mic was FAR too sensitive. If i was in the car with the radio barely on, people would think the radio was blasting. same with TV and other ambient noise.

why did you move away from vz 8830? Isnt the device faster due to evdo than ATT?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #31
fusilero

Model: 8300

I have had Titanium one for over a week and absolutely love it. It is such an improvement over the Treo - which I had for over 3+ years - in all areas - phone, email, web browsing, text messaging, media, GPS, etc. Everything I found difficult to do on the Treo, the 8310 does extremely well and is so intuitive to use. My wife who swore every time she used my Treo for anything used my 8310 for over an hour during a roadtrip with our family - without a bad thing to say.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #32
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
Carrier: FBSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
I'm a professional negotiator...
Can't say I'm pro but can usually do ok. Hard when they refuse to negotiate though. Even when offering to buy several phones. Even when you walk away and come back in few days (not because I was playing them but more because I just wanted to check out some other phones). Since you're pro, care to offer any suggestions?

P.S.; Yeah, I know I can order from discount outlets but I like to try to support my local merchants first.

Last edited by greeneggsandham; 10-25-2007 at 01:02 AM..
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #33
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

How long have you had your ATT account?

Typically(carriers in general) will help you out if you have had your account for a while.

When i was with verizon, i was more or less able to get a NE2 credit yearly.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #34
dunk50
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Telnav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingular_agent View Post
Got my Crimson 8310 today and waiting for my Demo Telenav to be activated. I will update when I use the GPS tonight.
I refused to pay $9.99 month for this. Might only use it once a month. i downloaded Googlemobile and it loaded and worked first time and it's FREE.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #35
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

the $9.99 is for the audible turn by turn directions, the ability to re-route you,traffic information, a better GUI, etc
Old 10-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #36
dirtypirate

I successfully got both of mine (1 titanium, 1 crimson) last night! I'll post pics and full details of the procedure and the "steal of a deal" price I walked away with later tonight after work!!!!

Stay tuned!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #37
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsandham View Post
Since you're pro, care to offer any suggestions?
First I always negotiate in a very friendly pleasant win/win way. I buy all my BlackBerrys from AT&T.

I find it baffling that when (in the past) I attempt to do a good thing and share some ideas with others here on how to get a deal, (not cheat the company, or take advantage of anyone) I get flamed, repeatedly. The harsh vile responses of the people who do the flaming is simply amazing. Why so serious and angry?

However I happen to know as fact, that there is a tremendous amount of markup in a BB or any high end phone for that matter. Thus no one is getting hurt. I'm simply getting a fair discount, and the company is giving up a mere sliver of profit. Finally, they can always say no.

I will be happy to send you a PM, with further ideas and assistance.

Cheers....
Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #38
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
First I always negotiate in a very friendly pleasant win/win way. I buy all my BlackBerrys from AT&T.

I find it baffling that when (in the past) I attempt to do a good thing and share some ideas with others here on how to get a deal, (not cheat the company, or take advantage of anyone) I get flamed, repeatedly. The harsh vile responses of the people who do the flaming is simply amazing. Why so serious and angry?

However I happen to know as fact, that there is a tremendous amount of markup in a BB or any high end phone for that matter. Thus no one is getting hurt. I'm simply getting a fair discount, and the company is giving up a mere sliver of profit. Finally, they can always say no.

I will be happy to send you a PM, with further ideas and assistance.

Cheers....

Hey there Arch, been a while! I'm leaning towards givin at&t a call and pickin up a Titanium 8310! How's the build quality compaired to the 8300, and is there any noticeable dust under your screen yet?

Last edited by sean76; 10-26-2007 at 10:19 PM..
Old 10-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #39
dirtypirate

Okay so as promised here are the pics...their not the best but they were quick...

Here's both the phones in their BlackBerry (Branded) Vinyl Pocket carrying cases:

Here is both the phone on their respective boxes:

Here is mine in Titanium:

Here is the wifes in Crimson:

Mine with case prop:

Womans wife case prop:

Okay, so for the best part:

The customer service guy name "Andrew" at my local AT&T store got me both of the phones as requested.

I went in Thursday night and to start off I must say it was the best experience of customer service that I could have ever asked for. One gold star on my list for AT&T.

After talking with Andrew, telling him what we wanted, and what we had this is how things shook down.

Got one new contract (2-yr) on a family plan for the voice (550) with the BlackBerry Premium on my phone with Unlimited Text Messages on the wifes phone.

Got $206 off each phone for the 2-year contract
Got $25 off per phone in store credit to match the on-line $50 credit for a new line.
Got all $36 of my activation fee waived.
Got all $26 of the wifes activation fee waived.
Got a $50 mail in rebate as a new customer coming specifically from Verizon (boo hiss) per phone
Got the $100 mail in rebate from Blackberry per phone
and to top all that off I get an 8% monthly discount on the package bill because I have a federal contractors license through my company.

So click click click thats $824 grand total off or simply $412 off in discounts after professionally negotiating with them just at the store. It really pays off to do your homework before hand.

All said and done I will have paid $100 roughly per phone and my monthly bill will only be $116 after taxes for the BlackBerry Premium (no nav or ptt) on my phone and the wifes unlimited texting with a 550 voice plan. (Thats utilizing the unadvertised $59.99 voice plan for 550 minutes with rollover...) with the 8% discount per month...after taxes only $58 each!!!!

I couldn't be happier to say that I left Verizon and went to AT&T.

Last edited by dirtypirate; 10-27-2007 at 05:35 PM..
Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #40
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

My red one will be this week and I am quite excited for two reasons. Full size headphone jack and new media player, and the camera. Two things I haven't had before. Anyone got an tips for a noob.
Closed Thread