BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
dactyl

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Pearl 8100 battery question/water damage...

Please Login to Remove!

Long story short, I let my brother borrow my blackberry on vacation, he got in a hot tub with it and ruined it.

Well, today I was going through drawers and saw my beloved old Blackberry. I put the battery back in and turned it on. I got a solid green trackball and a battery icon on the screen with a diagonal red dash through it. I thought this was a hopeful sign, I assumed the screen would be damaged, buttons/keys etc. I did some googling and asking a few people I know about it and didn't get much of an upfront answer. Anyway, I bought a new battery today online for 10 bucks, I figured it couldn't hurt to try this option. I was wondering if any of you think replacing the battery will fix the problem or it might be something other than the battery?
I would attach a picture but my post count has to be higher.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

I'm not clear on what you are calling a problem right now this moment. A $10 battery doesn't assure me of much; if things are nt working, I'm as likely to distrust it as anything.

Here's the bottom line: People have salvaged wet blackberrys. If it is plain water and you get the battery out right away, it sounds to me from what I've read that there's a decent chance of using the blackberry again once it is dried out. Sugar, salts, soaps, etc are going to cause additional problems and lower those odds, naturally.

So, make sure you have a battery you _know_ is good, and see. Don't hold out much hope though. I'm betting the doofus didn't remove the battery in time, if there even was time to react.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
dactyl

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

Yeah, I'm not so sure either. But I figured it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, I'm 99 percent sure I'll buy another blackberry in the future so if the new battery I bought doesn't make the phone work, I'll have an extra one because I usually do use a Pearl. Anyway, I don't recall if he did take the battery out, it was a year ago. Although I highly doubt he did(not the brightest bulb). Thanks for your input. The only thing that gives me hope is the fact that the screen doesn't show any defects and neither do the keys.

edit: Also, I just bought the battery and it hasn't shipped...so I haven't tested it yet. Once again, hoping that a new battery will fix this phone.

Last edited by dactyl; 11-24-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Closed Thread