Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
654321ROD

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Garmin Mobile on the Storm

Please Login to Remove!

I have searching for a definitive comment on the performance of Garmin on the Storm 9500. Is this software a viable proposition? I am considering loading this software as the other GPS software is not that great in South Africa. How good is the Garmin package? Does anybody have the answers?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
JayInNJ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

It is great. Basically exactly the same interface as the standalone garmin product. One advantage it has is it downloads the latest maps every time you use it so they are always up to date.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Wirelessly posted (9530)

i've used telenav as well...

Telenav has more features and conserves the phones battery better...
But customer service is not as good as garmin's.
The garmin mobile software is not as feature-packed as on their nuvi units.
With respect to navigation they both do about the same job.

i went with the garmin because my telenav subscription is about to expire, and paying yearly/monthly/every 4 years just isn't as good as paying the one-time fee that garmin charges for basically the same services
Old 04-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20CFA98A
Carrier: AT&T

I personally despise Garmin on BlackBerry. It's nothing like standalone units, the Windows Mobile, or Symbian versions. I still don't understand why they can't do offline maps like on those three. On my Nokia, I can have all my maps on the microSDHC card (even topographic maps) so that everything works offline without wireless coverage. I don't have to wait for Garmin to download the map for my route. I can sync waypoints, tracks, POI libraries, etc. with Mapsource on my desktop.

BB users are getting the short, blunt end of the stick when it comes to GPS navigation. And don't tell me it's RIM's limitation as Topoexplorer has figured out how to get offline maps working just fine.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
I personally despise Garmin on BlackBerry. It's nothing like standalone units, the Windows Mobile, or Symbian versions. I still don't understand why they can't do offline maps like on those three. On my Nokia, I can have all my maps on the microSDHC card (even topographic maps) so that everything works offline without wireless coverage. I don't have to wait for Garmin to download the map for my route. I can sync waypoints, tracks, POI libraries, etc. with Mapsource on my desktop.

BB users are getting the short, blunt end of the stick when it comes to GPS navigation. And don't tell me it's RIM's limitation as Topoexplorer has figured out how to get offline maps working just fine.
in all honesty, it's a navigation app ported to a phone. it's not going to be perfect, and i have my caveats with it (copy/paste not possible, input of dashes in address not possible)....and other nav products are not perfect either. take telenav for example. i've had them for 2+ years and the app is a good and featureful app, with some neat features you won't find in garmin mobile. but in the end, both of these apps performed about the same when it came to the punchline: will it perform the way navigation is supposed to ? overall, any nav hardware or software you get for a phone or a dedicated device will get it's maps from the same source (navteq).....so the routes/etc...won't be that different.

overall, i guess for the 1 time charge of 100 $ for as long as you have the phone, it's the best overall deal. compare that to 10/mo., 100/year or 250/4 years that telenav offers. i had spoken with both companies customer service departments. telenav claims it's mapping and routing systems are updated about once every 3 to 4 months. i haven't asked garmin the same question, but i am willing to bet it's more frequent considering garmin is a larger company with more effort in it.

also, doesn't the garmin mobile version for windows smartphones come with a map-loaded sd card ?

Last edited by zero7404; 04-14-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20CFA98A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
also, doesn't the garmin mobile version for windows smartphones come with a map-loaded sd card ?
Yes, I mentioned that in my post. The Nuvi series, Symbian and Windows Mobile all pretty much have the same functionality with regards to sideloaded maps, desktop integration, etc... On Symbian and Windows mobile you do get Google Local Search and Traffic/Weather updates that some of the standalone Nuvi series can't do.

I guess my point is that while Garmin may be the best solution for BlackBerry out there, it's still far from what Symbian and WM people get from Garmin for the same price! Sadly, it's one of the reasons I still have my E71.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
zero7404

i have a problem: i removed garmin mobile from my phone so that i can reinstall it, i suspected it might have gotten corrupted due to some recent OS installations...etc.

but the original link provided to me has expired and after logging in to view my order, i cannot see a download link for the app....

does anyone know how to re-download it from garmin's web site ?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
zero7404

turns out garmin support sent me a new SMS with download link. within a few hrs, that's pretty good....

since i load OS's more frequently than the average vegetable....would i be ok backing up the app with DM and then putting it back on the phone using the backup ? i'm referring to using the 'switch blackberry devices' method to make a copy of the folder it creates with all the 3rd party apps from the device.