Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
RayRaven

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile UK

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with all of your sentiments. There are no real advantages anymore to a physical keyboard. In fact, there are disadvantages. There is definitely no need at all for a trackpad. The design was well thought out. RIM is only developing keyboard devices for people like you who refuse to adapt. You probably still use Windows XP, don't you?
Frankly, I don't really care what you agree with.

Blackberry have seen fit to release a phone with a physical keyboard, and the only way to submit or execute is to come off the keyboard and fart about with the touchscreen. Ergo poorly thought out design.

I thought Apple were bad enough with their iphone fanboys, but some of these blinkered Blackberry Boys really do take the biscuit!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Initial Impressions - first 12 hours

Actually I suggest you go to CrackBerry.com | The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users (and Abusers!) if you want to see so real fanatics.

I miss the touchscreen, but I've moved on. Adapt or die.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRaven View Post
There's one thing that everybody seems to be missing re a keyboard/touch phone, including RIM themselves.

The advantages of a physical keyboard over a touchscreen keyboard are obvious (at least to myself, and every other BB user before the 10 series), but to my mind, there is no point at all to having a physical keyboard without a trackball control alongside it.

I love BB phones purely for the fact that they still use the aforementioned keyboard, and find it a lot easier and faster to use than a touchscreen virtual keyboard, but if there is no mouse (trackball) included, it all seems that the design has not been properly thought out.

I've been with BB for four years now, and found them to be hugely reliable compared to other (touch) OSs, but if I'm going to now be forced into going down the touchscreen route, it might as well be for a system that is recognised and supported by a plethora of developers, rather than an OS that most developers seem to want to ignore.
Replacing the trackpad with a touchscreen seems like a natural evolution.

Thumbwheel > Trackball > Trackpad > Touchscreen. I still love the old thumbwheel, but then I'm a luddite.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Thumbwheel > Trackball > Trackpad > Touchscreen. I still love the old thumbwheel, but then I'm a luddite.
Still got that old Betamax around?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #25
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I'm using a 7290 today.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #26
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Newbie. 957 here.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #27
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I still have arthritis in my thumb from the trackwheel on my old 8703e.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
As a matter of fact, I do still have one. Don't use it; might keep it until it achieves true antique status.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Funny you should say that. We had one of the first Betamax setups they made. The home player weighed about 100 lbs. and was the size of a large microwave oven. We also had the camera. It looked like a mobile camera setup the television networks use, plus you had to carry around a mobile VCR-sized device on a shoulder strap to record into. The batteries looked like motorcycle batteries and lasted about a half hour. Just the camera setup was about 45 lbs. of kit.

I also have a large collection of 8-track tapes, including Deep Purple's "Machine Head." I have SCSI cables up the yingyang for all my SCSI peripherals, and a few Magneto-Optical drives lying around, because we all KNOW those stupid CD-ROMs will never catch on.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #30
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Funny you should say that. We had one of the first Betamax setups they made. The home player weighed about 100 lbs. and was the size of a large microwave oven. We also had the camera. It looked like a mobile camera setup the television networks use, plus you had to carry around a mobile VCR-sized device on a shoulder strap to record into. The batteries looked like motorcycle batteries and lasted about a half hour. Just the camera setup was about 45 lbs. of kit.

I also have a large collection of 8-track tapes, including Deep Purple's "Machine Head." I have SCSI cables up the yingyang for all my SCSI peripherals, and a few Magneto-Optical drives lying around, because we all KNOW those stupid CD-ROMs will never catch on.

How about your LaserDisc player?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

There are still a lot of people who, like myself, like a physical keypad. The Q10 is selling very well in Canada, even though the Z10 is now half price at $99 compared to $199 for the Q10, on a three year contract.
As one reporter said in his review of the Q10, the finger or thumb is a very broad pointing device, and no matter how you want to get right to the letter to edit, the chances are that you are off a letter or two.
I find myself wanting to go back and edit my text all the time on my pre-os10 blackberry. The lack of a track pad in the Q10, in my mind, is the only significant negative to the Q10 is giving me serious pause.
(Oh, and by the way both of my computers have been for some time on Windows 7 (I did skip Vista) but have not gone to Windows 8.)

Last edited by jimfraser; 05-13-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #32
Bacchus15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Note3
Carrier: Rogers

Having a physical keyboard is good for those of us who have huge hands, when you're 6ft4 and more than 250 pounds you tend to have big hands. Touchscreen keyboard are just to narrow for me (except on my playbook doh!)

It's has nothing to do with old and new tech, on a pc you can either have a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse, it's a personal choice you make.

But yeah, oldies but goodies, and to hell with Blu-ray :P
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
Cavi Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: **))
PIN: ATA
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
There are no real advantages anymore to a physical keyboard. In fact, there are disadvantages. RIM is only developing keyboard devices for people like you who refuse to adapt. You probably still use Windows XP, don't you?
I've never seen anyone that could type as fast as I can on my BB unless they're typing in god-awful txt-tlk. In fact, I type so fast that my 9630 drops letters - whereas my 8800 and 8900 had no problem keeping up. I had to relearn how to type slower so the phone could keep up. I hear nothing but complaints from EVERYONE who has to type a lot on a touchscreen. Between that and all of the shortcuts available to me with a physical keyboard - I see absolutely no reason to switch to a full-touch device.

It just sounds like you prefer following trends even when they go in reverse and it's so ironic that you accuse me of still using XP. I bet you still right-click on everything or click though menus on your computer instead of using the ctrl/alt/etc keys. You're the one that's below the curve buddy.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 05-15-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
I've never seen anyone that could type as fast as I can on my BB unless they're typing in god-awful txt-tlk. In fact, I type so fast that my 9630 drops letters - whereas my 8800 and 8900 had no problem keeping up. I had to relearn how to type slower so the phone could keep up. I hear nothing but complaints from EVERYONE who has to type a lot on a touchscreen. Between that and all of the shortcuts available to me with a physical keyboard - I see absolutely no reason to switch to a full-touch device.

It just sounds like you prefer following trends even when they go in reverse and it's so ironic that you accuse me of still using XP. I bet you still right-click on everything or click though menus on your computer instead of using the ctrl/alt/etc keys. You're the one that's below the curve buddy.
Typing on my GS3 was a steep learning curve (speed and accuracy) coming from a 9900, but the Z10 is not the same. I can type a lot faster than my other device(s) even ones with a keyboard, and it's comparable to typing on my 9900. I expect my speed to only increase the longer I use it.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Wait until you use the Q10. No more trackpad. So you can type on the keyboard all you want, but you still have to use the screen to do anything.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #36
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post

LOL. Do whatever works for you pal, but I can type much faster on my touch devices now than I can on my 9900.

Now, since you want to be insolent, I'll clarify your wrong assumptions. I don't follow trends, but I refuse to live in the past. I adapt. With computers, my adaptation was actually using a mouse instead of the keyboard. I didn't have a mouse until my third computer that actually had Windows 3.1 on it. I started on a Commodore 64 at the age of 3. That thing definitely didn't have a mouse. I currently have a Lumia 920, Z10, and HTC One in rotation for my phones, use Linux, Mac, and Windows 7 on my computers. If I'm behind anything, it's definitely not a curve, so please feel free to go sit on a cactus.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #37
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Bell Wireless

I've had my Blackberry Q10 for ~2 weeks and I'm still trying to get used to it.

My main texting/e-mailing phone by choice was my trusty Blackberry Bold 9700 but it was starting to show its age (battery cover would no longer close because it fell on the floor once too many times, battery wouldn't last, required a reboot almost every day, etc.)

So far I really like my Blackberry Q10. There are some things that I don't really like about it or preferred how it work on my Bold 9700 but all in all, the Q10 is a very good device.

My Tech Blog
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #38
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

I love my BB torch, all touch screen, the bigger screen is wonderful. But, I've found out the hard way that in winter after I've been outside doing chores for an hour or so if I need to call hubby to come help me with something that touch screen isn't real responsive. Yes, I did have gloves on. In summer sweat seems to cause the same issue. I also have kind of long nails which means I tend to type with the sides of my fingers and get more typos than I did with my style or my older bold. So while I could use my nails to type fine on the keyboard, doesn't work on a touch screen. I'm hoping for a slider, keep my big screen and get my keyboard back.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #39
pkcable
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
Carrier: VZW & T-Mobile

Quote:
Actually I suggest you go to crackberry if you want to see so real fanatics.

I miss the touchscreen, but I've moved on. Adapt or die.
Yes by all means come on over!!!! But BBF is a cool place too. ;)

Sorry NJ I had to edit your post in the quote as I'm not allowed to post links. ;)

Blackberry history 7290>8700>(budget cuts took my BB)>9530 (bought myself)>9550,8703e(backup)>9650>9930>DevAlpha>9780 >Z10>Q10>Z10
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #40
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I may have to ban you or give you an infraction just for grins!
I like the Q10!
Closed Thread