BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:40 AM   #1
dabamol

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Alarms, Typing, and Other BB Peaves!

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, I'm new to the whole BB thing, so I'm sure I'm missing some things. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction:

Here's what I have: BB Pearl from TMobile - OS version: (4.2.0.64) - as best I can tell.

1. Alarms - Is it possible to have the alarms go off MORE than 3 times? I'm a bit of a deep sleeper and I like to use my BB as an alarm when I travel - but 3 "tones" is simply not enough for me. Any ideas?

2. Network Time - before my BB days, every phone I ever used would automatically change times based on location - so if I traveled somewhere else, my phone would automatically grab the time from the network. Well, my BB doesn't do that and I'm wondering if there's a way to make that happen.

3. Typing phone numbers - This is a rather funny one I think, but how in the world to you know what to type when you're on those "type the first 4 letters of the person you're trying to reach" messages? Uhhh.... my keyboard doesn't match other cellphone keyboards - so...any ideas?

4. Syncing - it goes without mention how incredibly disappointing and annoying it is that Macs are always the last to get supported on things like syncing. PocketMac is a joke - and dropping even more $$ on a third-party software (MissingSync) is just a bummer.

5. OS Upgrade - I've read on the 8100 threads that there's a new OS upgrade - is it something I should look into doing? And if so, is there a way to do it safely on the mac? Or should I just plug this sucka into a PC and go from there?

6. Alarms again - does anyone know of a good multiple-alarm program? I **really** need to wake up!

7. Once you install something on the BB...how do you remove it if you don't like it? (i.e. demo software)

8. Perhaps I've been spoiled too long, but is it really that hard to make beautiful looking mobile apps? And even if they don't look so nice, how about really thinking about how they work? I mean...don't get me wrong---I *TRULY* appreciate the fact that people are developing apps and all, but there are some apps out there that could really use some more *care* put into them. :( yeah, I know. I'm spoiled.

9. Why AT&T??!!! WHYY!!!!!!! If only Apple would've kept the iPhone open to other carriers. :(

10. All in all, my Pearl is awesome and I'm enjoying it a lot. Just those *little* things that would make it even cooler.

Last edited by dabamol; 06-03-2007 at 01:42 AM..
Old 06-03-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabamol View Post
Okay, I'm new to the whole BB thing, so I'm sure I'm missing some things. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction:

Here's what I have: BB Pearl from TMobile - OS version: (4.2.0.64) - as best I can tell.

1. Alarms - Is it possible to have the alarms go off MORE than 3 times? I'm a bit of a deep sleeper and I like to use my BB as an alarm when I travel - but 3 "tones" is simply not enough for me. Any ideas?
It's not possible to have the alarm ring more than 3 times, but you can use a very long, very loud MP3, and set the Snooze to 1 minute. When the alarm goes off if you just hit [Enter], it will snooze
2. Network Time - before my BB days, every phone I ever used would automatically change times based on location - so if I traveled somewhere else, my phone would automatically grab the time from the network. Well, my BB doesn't do that and I'm wondering if there's a way to make that happen.
Sorry, the BlackBerry just doesn't do this. It's been covered many times here and other forums.
3. Typing phone numbers - This is a rather funny one I think, but how in the world to you know what to type when you're on those "type the first 4 letters of the person you're trying to reach" messages? Uhhh.... my keyboard doesn't match other cellphone keyboards - so...any ideas?
On a full QUERTY keyboard BB, you hold down the [Num] key (ironically) and type the letter you need. It's a bit trickier on a reduced keyboard device like the 8100. Assuming you've already typed in a number - like 1 before the area code, if you hold down the [Shift] key (key to the right of [Space]), you can multitap the letter you need. That is, if the letter is the first letter on the key, just tap it once (and wait 1/2 second until the cursur moves forward). If you need the second letter on the key, tap the key twice and the second letter will appear.
4. Syncing - it goes without mention how incredibly disappointing and annoying it is that Macs are always the last to get supported on things like syncing. PocketMac is a joke - and dropping even more $$ on a third-party software (MissingSync) is just a bummer.
Macs? Why are you bringing McDonald's into this???
5. OS Upgrade - I've read on the 8100 threads that there's a new OS upgrade - is it something I should look into doing? And if so, is there a way to do it safely on the mac? Or should I just plug this sucka into a PC and go from there?
IIABDFI (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!). The newer OS doesn't add any new features. There have been discussions about missing Browser icons on some versions, but if you don't have that problem, don't bother. The newer OS is DST 2007 compliant - that was the only reason for its widespread release. If you don't have it (it would be listed as 2007 DST Patch in Options - the first line), you can install it Over The Air by browsing to:
BlackBerry (BlackBerry)
Go to ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Applications. Scroll to and highlight the offending application, Click the Menu button and select [Delete]. If it tells you you have to restart and choose not to, do a battery pull when you're ready.
8. Perhaps I've been spoiled too long, but is it really that hard to make beautiful looking mobile apps? And even if they don't look so nice, how about really thinking about how they work? I mean...don't get me wrong---I *TRULY* appreciate the fact that people are developing apps and all, but there are some apps out there that could really use some more *care* put into them. :( yeah, I know. I'm spoiled.
Quote:
9. Why AT&T??!!! WHYY!!!!!!! If only Apple would've kept the iPhone open to other carriers. :(
Well YOU'RE the Apple Fan!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
dabamol

PIN: N/A

Hey JerryD! Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my trivial annoyances! I'm excited to see there are solutions for most of them. And you make a *really good point on No. 5! Thanks.

I guess I just got that 'tinkerin' bug Alas, I'd rather have a working phone - so I will just let the OS be.

Again, thanks for your help. I'll be sure to let you know if I find a good alarm program.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
jocelyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Airtel

Aww! your 8th point resonates with me. Yeah, a lot of improvement can be made in even the best of the apps. Mostly on the usability issue. I have seen apps, which allow you to tag an email from inside application X, but if u need to sort by the tags then launch app Z !! True bb is a new platform, but usability studies has been going for decades.. That said, there are definitely programs that stand out apart.

Quote:
6. Alarms again - does anyone know of a good multiple-alarm program? I **really** need to wake up!
He he, yeah I know and its already my favorite app on bb.. mutlialarm. god-send for a busy bee like me..

Quote:
No doubt, iPhone is sexy. but its a 'closed world'. NO API. No developers, no apps. No games.. And that certainly means NO to an explorer like me! iPhone is the hottest girl at the bar... but she speaks FERGUSINTORIAN. An alien language that few understand

but lot of ppl will still switch, sleazy sexy phone.... and sex appeal sells !

J.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
7290bb

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Mobylo! MultiAlarm

I had the same trouble with the alarm! It makes noise once and that's it UNLESS YOU WAKE UP AND MAKE IT SNOOZE. That won't work!

I use Mobylo! MultiAlarm:
Mobylo! MultiAlarm for BlackBerry - Mobylo!

This alarm keeps going off to wake you up. It also allows you to set multiple times, but I do not need this feature.

If your calendar has an alert before MultiAlarm goes off, MultiAlarm will not go off. You will be late to work...
Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
7290bb

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile
Default PocketMac support

You may want to contact PocketMac support:
PocketMac Support Site
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
JNSonger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

The alarm issue is corrected with the latest pearl os from Rogers (4.2.1.94). You can find a link for it in a sticky thread in the 8100 forum. The update also fixes a few other minor annoying issues.
Closed Thread