BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Chief_Nebulon

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Lower case uma on Orange UK - help!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all

I've had my Blackberry 8120 for around a month now, using BIS and I have a BlackBerry data plan with Orange. I also have Orange broadband complete with the livebox.

Since recieving my phone, i've had the uppercase UMA symbol in the top right hand corner of my screen, allowing me to make calls and recieve e-mail over my router.

However, for some reason, in the past week or so, UMA has changed to uma (lower case) without me changing anything in the phone's settings. This now means that when i'm in the house, i no longer recieve e-mails and my call quality is very poor as i have a bad GSM signal here.

I've tried all forms of resets to try and fix this problem - if i turn the wifi on and off again, i get UMA for about 30 seconds and it then changes to uma again.

This is driving me absolutely mad! I can't find anything on the internet about an Orange UMA outage either.

All ideas appreciated!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Nebulon View Post
Hi all

I've had my Blackberry 8120 for around a month now, using BIS and I have a BlackBerry data plan with Orange. I also have Orange broadband complete with the livebox.

Since recieving my phone, i've had the uppercase UMA symbol in the top right hand corner of my screen, allowing me to make calls and recieve e-mail over my router.

However, for some reason, in the past week or so, UMA has changed to uma (lower case) without me changing anything in the phone's settings. This now means that when i'm in the house, i no longer recieve e-mails and my call quality is very poor as i have a bad GSM signal here.

I've tried all forms of resets to try and fix this problem - if i turn the wifi on and off again, i get UMA for about 30 seconds and it then changes to uma again.

This is driving me absolutely mad! I can't find anything on the internet about an Orange UMA outage either.

All ideas appreciated!
The lower case uma does seem to make things worse. Alot of applications I have no longer work as it seems when Orange decides to go into uma, the GPRS connection is disconnected - and those apps that can't use WiFi simply fail!

The only solution I see now is to turn off WiFi (Orange then restores GPRS), use the required app, then turn WiFi back on again when done. Really a step backwards.

However regardless of the uma status I always get email. The emails are retrieved through WiFi. You should get email even if you turn the GPRS off and have only WiFi connected.

I can't comment on call quality though- haven't tried it enough.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
ImpRex

Model: 8320
Carrier: Orange

I've had the same problem but this is the first time I've seen mention of it online.

Currently using an 8320 on Orange in the UK and first noticed the problem when using Jivetalk at home.
Again, I use an Orange Livebox.

Jivetalk wont work and gives a 'no network coverage' message. Internet is intermittent unless I set the browser to Wifi only.
If I turn wifi off or GPRS/EDGE preferred it works though.

I would call Orange but based on past experience I will have to explain what a Blackberry is.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
samehx

Default Blackberry Curve email over WIFI with Orange

Ladies and Gentlemen,

WHat is the final word on getting email over WIFI? Orange tell me they can't talk to me about it because they don't support WIFI and BB says that I should....

Many thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by samehx View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

WHat is the final word on getting email over WIFI? Orange tell me they can't talk to me about it because they don't support WIFI and BB says that I should....

Many thanks
Email should work fine over WiFi on Orange. Works for me. Try turning off GPRS and then send yourself an email to see if it works.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
kalamaca
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: orange

Hi people, I'm getting a 8320 delivered from orange tomorrow and was wondering what you guys know about the various data plans? Is the orange data plan different to the bb data plans etc? How much do they cost? Is there one I should go for over another?

I've read through various threads including the advantages of getting a data plan and not - ideally i was planning on using the wifi for most stuff with the aim of staying contact with my gmail / msn & facebook, but i guess i'm going to have to get a data plan to get these to work or spend a lot of tinkering around to make them work without a data plan....

Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
aloening

Carrier: Vodafone

Hi All

Here is a copy of my notes from another Forum -

am also a newbie BB owner - nice 8820 from Orange. Trying to get WiFi to work.

Actually Orange help desk was very helpful. After about 1 hour on the phone I go connected to the WiFi. Key issue seemed to be - press the button that says 'WiFi Hotspot Login' after setting up the Wifi. Suddenly my BB connected to the WiFi and showed the UMA (upper) for a while. I tested making phone calls in both directions with the Mobile Network off. Works great.

Then sat back and waited for BIS to send me my e-mails: No joy. Waited several hours during which the UMA went to uma (lower). OK I found out that lower case means not connected to Blackberry Internet Service.

I went out, leaving the BB connected to the WiFi in the office. Came back the next morning and was playing with the BB and I think the only thing I changed was to switch the browser to WiFi after reading some threads on this. The UMA had gone back to upper on its own. Suddenly 2 e-mails appeared, LED flashed red. Great - but the e-mails were about 18 hours old. I checked our server. Over the next few hours other e-mails did arrive, but they could be up to 24 hours old (i.e. difference in time between my server and the BB getting e-mails). The UMA sign switched upper / lower rather randomly. The BB was never disconnected from the WiFi during this period. Software seems to be the latest version.

Well all the e-mails eventually got to the BB using WiFi only, it is bad enough waiting the usual 20 mins or so, but 24 hours is unusable.

So - WiFi is sort of working, but not enough to be useable.

So the question is - why does the BB disconnect itself from BIS over WiFi.

Lets try and put pressure on Orange to help resolve this - I bought the BB and took on a 18 month contract specifically for this function!.

-UPDATE:

I have sent logs from my server and the 8820 to Orange in the hope that they can tell what is going wrong. I also found out that I cannot send e-mails by UMA at all. So the summary is at the minute this system is not working. I understand that (to quote others) 'it used to work and Orange broke it' but I have not seen any real information on this.

Last edited by aloening; 03-24-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
evansnathan

Default BB Curve uma over wifi

I have the same problem, I have also wasted time and money thinking the company I pay on average £100 a month to for the privilege of using their service may have someone who is interested or knowledgeable about their products.

I too have had no problems in the past and only recently suffered with this.

I am fully reliant on the uma service to have any reception at home

Would love to switch to iphone if i wasnt committed for another 8months

AARGG
Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
bn3matt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: orange uk

As I mentioned in another thread I too have exactly the same problem. Both at home and at work. UMA sometimes and uma others and then often nothing at all.

I have to say orange technical support are nothing more than useless at best and totally disinterested at worst. In the end the last guy I spoke to simply said UMA on Blackberry phones is pretty flakey and as we dont support the wifi function on your phone its something you have to make do with. I really like my bb and it works in all ways well excpet the wifi UMA issue. Despite several postings, and calling orange it doesnt work. Its an iphone for me next time Im afraid RIM. (Like they care!)
Old 07-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
bb8310
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: o2

What Is Uma?????????
Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900