BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Cochese
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: The Tail on the donkey.
Carrier: VZW
Default Correcting the 8100 to 8320 No UMA H@H Certificate error... without erasing!

Please Login to Remove!

Did you say screw it and ignore John Clarks warning to do a selective backup because you were impatient? Or you didn't see it?

Now your nice new Curve from T-Mobile has no UMA functionality cause it's sporting old certificates from your pearl or 8700?

Here ya go, knucklehead.

1. From the device Home screen, click the Menu key, then click the Help icon.

2. The Help menu is displayed. Click the first item BlackBerry HELP web site.

3. When prompted to launch the browser, click Yes.

4. The BlackBerry Help web site is displayed. Click HotSpot@Home(UMA) is not working on my BlackBerry Curve 8320.

5. The HotSpot @Home Troubleshooting web site is displayed. Scroll down to the Instructions section.

6. Scroll to and click Install Root Certificate.

7. At the next screen, click Import. (If you don't see an Import button, and you see only a View button, then press the Escape key on the device, to the right of the trackball. Then skip to Step 13.)

8. You may be prompted to enter a password. If you see this prompt, type "blackberry". Then click OK.

9. At the next screen, click OK.

10. At the next screen, click Yes.

11. At the next screen, click OK.

12. At the next screen, you should see only a "View" button at the bottom. Click the Escape key on the device, to the right of the trackball.

13. The HotSpot @Home Troubleshooting web site is displayed again. Scroll down and click " Install Trust Certificate".

14. At the next screen, click Import . (If you don't see an Import button, and you see only a View button, then you can skip to Step 19.)

15. You may be prompted to enter a password. If you see this prompt, type " blackberry". Then click OK.

16. At the next screen, click OK.

17. At the next screen, you should see only a "View" button at the bottom of the screen. Click the Escape key on the device, to the right of the trackball.

18. The HotSpot @Home Troubleshooting web site is displayed again.

19. Remove and re-insert battery into device.

20. Wait for device to reboot. HotSpot @Home (UMA) should now be working again.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Wow, cool - so in short, the core underlying reason for whacked UMA during a switch/restore is nothing more than a root certificate that's missing?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Cochese
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Wow, cool - so in short, the core underlying reason for whacked UMA during a switch/restore is nothing more than a root certificate that's missing?

Yes and no. It's overwritten root and trust certificates. 8320 Certs that are overwritten by old 8100/8700g certs on a full restore.

All we are doing is reloading the newer 8320 certs on a force download through mobile.bb.coms site. ;)
Old 10-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
rivviepop

Here's a quick set of URLs for folks that are experienced in installing certificates just need the bits; send these to your device:

http://mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/t-mobile_root.der
http://mobile.blackberry.com/resources/uma_help/files/trustcert.der

You can even hit these in Firefox and it'll load the certs so you can play with them and examine what's what. The Mobile website page is also Firefox viewable, it's not locked down to BB devices for whatever reason like the other pages are:

HotSpot @Home (UMA) is not working on my BlackBerry Curve 8320
Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Cochese
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Here's a quick set of URLs for folks that are experienced in installing certificates just need the bits; send these to your device:

http://mobile.blackberry.com/resourc...obile_root.der
http://mobile.blackberry.com/resourc.../trustcert.der

You can even hit these in Firefox and it'll load the certs so you can play with them and examine what's what. The Mobile website page is also Firefox viewable, it's not locked down to BB devices for whatever reason like the other pages are:

HotSpot @Home (UMA) is not working on my BlackBerry Curve 8320

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
eTHE2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMo/AT&T/Voda/3HK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Yes and no. It's overwritten root and trust certificates. 8320 Certs that are overwritten by old 8100/8700g certs on a full restore.

All we are doing is reloading the newer 8320 certs on a force download through mobile.bb.coms site. ;)

Do you know if these certificates will allow an 8820 to have UMA? As I am reading the information, one of the ways to determine if these certificates are obsolete or missing is to look in Option/Mobile Network and see if you have Connection Preference capabilities or if your WiFi Diagnostics does not have any UMA section. My 8320 does have these features but my 8820 does not. In another post, I have read where some 8820 owners have this Connection Preference selection. Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I doubt you'd be able to install these certificates on an 8820
Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
eTHE2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMo/AT&T/Voda/3HK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I doubt you'd be able to install these certificates on an 8820
Well, in my desire to try this and hopefully not brick the phone, I was able to copy them from the 8320 to the 8820. Surprisingly, they went on the 8820 and were allowed to be trusted. They are active and have not caused any adverse effect to the device...yet. Unfortunately, they also do not seem to provide additional UMAfeature/function on the 8820.

There are two more TMo certificates on the 8320 that are not on the 8820. They are 'us.tmobile.midp20.FullTrust' and us.tmobile.midp.SemiTrust'. They will copy onto the 8820 but they will not be trusted when I attempt to trust them. I receive an 'internal proxy error' when I attempt to trust them.
Any ideas what these are?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTHE2 View Post
There are two more TMo certificates on the 8320 that are not on the 8820. They are 'us.tmobile.midp20.FullTrust' and us.tmobile.midp.SemiTrust'. They will copy onto the 8820 but they will not be trusted when I attempt to trust them. I receive an 'internal proxy error' when I attempt to trust them.
These appear to be root certificates for T-Mobile based applets (I'm guessing Service Books, since a book is probably signed code), if you look on your 8320 at the details you see they're from the T-Mobile Development group up in WA, their home.

Gut instinct is that it's the service book download for 8320 which enables the additional UMA features, since T-Mo doesn't support 8820 (so to speak) I can see how they don't have a compatible book that downloads to your 8820. Only a guess though - since it's the service books who say "hey route this uma traffic to this server over here" (ala gateway) it seems logical...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
g2diver

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTHE2 View Post
Well, in my desire to try this and hopefully not brick the phone, I was able to copy them from the 8320 to the 8820. Surprisingly, they went on the 8820 and were allowed to be trusted. They are active and have not caused any adverse effect to the device...yet. Unfortunately, they also do not seem to provide additional UMAfeature/function on the 8820.

I was able to get certificates t-mobile_root.cer and trustcert.cer, us.tmobile.midp.SemiTrust and us.tmobile.midp20.FullTrust on an 8820, (Did not brick it), and get full trust, but still no UMA. I'd like to find the post where someone got Options/Mobile Network Connection Preference selection, ala, UMA. Does anyone know of this post? I'd sure like to read it. It's time to go to the TMO store and compare 8320 certificates, and service books to my 8820.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Since T-Mobile does not offer/support the 8820, it should come as no surprise that UMA doesn't work. Not sure you are going to get past this one until T-Mobile offers a WiFi enabled 88xx.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Since T-Mobile does not offer/support the 8820, it should come as no surprise that UMA doesn't work. Not sure you are going to get past this one until T-Mobile offers a WiFi enabled 88xx.
The only way - and it's a bit dangerous, so to speak, but not a lot - that I can think of would be to back up the service book (or books, can you be selective?) from an 8320 and restore them to an 8820 and see what happens. You might have to use one of those "IPD Editors" to go into the backed up service books and manually remove things, leaving only the UMA bits.

That's my gut idea, at least. I have no plan on actually trying it...
Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #13
g2diver

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
The only way - and it's a bit dangerous, so to speak, but not a lot - that I can think of would be to back up the service book (or books, can you be selective?) from an 8320 and restore them to an 8820 and see what happens. You might have to use one of those "IPD Editors" to go into the backed up service books and manually remove things, leaving only the UMA bits.

That's my gut idea, at least. I have no plan on actually trying it...
Thats a good idea. But before moving ahead with that idea I will research it.
Closed Thread