BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
punkinbee59
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint Relay
Lightbulb create a subforum for deaf/HOH BB users?

Please Login to Remove!

thought it'd be a good idea, considering that some of us who are deaf/HOH, our comments kinda gets a little buried/lost in any forums... not to be inclusive, but it would help us out trying to figure out the BB, regardless of model or OS we use.

something to think about...
Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

It would be nice, but I'm not sure if it would get enough traffic for it to be good use. I've only talked to about 3 or 4 people on here that are deaf or HOH. There may be more though who just don't advertise it though.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

punkinbee, trying to understand and be sympathetic to your need/ issue, but since we are using the written word here in the Forum, how do your comments get a little buried/lost?

I could be deaf or HOH or with one arm, and who would know?
(And I do have about 60% LOH in one ear).
Old 02-09-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
ticktekk

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

Js, it may be that English speaking posters do not understand their posts because if they use American sign language their sentence structure is very different than English even though they use English words. Maybe they need to be able to post directly to one another, like a foreign language to get the info they seek. Punkinbee?

Last edited by ticktekk; 02-09-2010 at 02:41 AM..
Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
ticktekk

Wirelessly posted

American Sign Language is the third largerat language group in the US after English and Spanish.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

There's no spanish forum here either.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I don't see any need at all. We have plenty of people here that are not deaf or HOH and type in far worse English than punkinbee.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

My Ph.D, is in Leadeship and Special Education and I do not see the need as well. My hearing impaired students must still submit their work products in standard English. Is there an app for you the OP to translate? Are there are forum sites which address this issue

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Pisces

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telstra - Australia

I am Profoundly Deaf, I do think it is good idea to create a subforum for Deaf/HOH BB users.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Pisces, you've been around a long time.

Help me understand the need for a subforum.
What does that accomplish?
Why is it any different than say a subforum for users with red hair?
Won't a subforum only limit the audience for Deaf/HoH users?

What am I missing here and how will a subforum help anyone deaf or HoH?

Last edited by JSanders; 02-10-2010 at 12:48 AM..
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
Noodle22

I think she's looking for a subforum due to the fact there are issues at times finding HAC BlackBerrys, and though some are considered hearing aid compliant they do give feedback. Though I don't know if there is enough information to have a forum on that alone. Maybe a stickied thread with some info?

It's not that she doesn't understand what we're saying because sign language uses a different sentance structure.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I don't think any of it necessary. Mark Rejhon, a charter member of this forum was deaf and he did just fine without a subforum or any special treatment.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I don't think any of it necessary. Mark Rejhon, a charter member of this forum was deaf and he did just fine without a subforum or any special treatment.
I am assuming this link needs updating.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...d-hearing.html

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
ticktekk

Wirelessly posted

Well, we have had several opinions expressed, but what is really needed is for punkinbee. Pisces or another dead or hoh to express why they have a need, otherwise all we can do is speculate.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
ticktekk

Wirelessly posted

Deaf not dead, sorry
Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

The creation of a new forum (or sub-forum) for deaf Blackberry users would IMO be a great idea. I am HOH myself, with 75% hearing loss in both ears. HOH folk (depending on our degree of hearing loss) will usually try to get by with regular everyday tools. New technology has empowered us (in many instances) to a point where we can manage - our hearing loss goes largely unseen. There is still a stigma to being deaf (even today) Deaf folk are often defined as being stupid (even if they are very smart) If two applicants (with equal qualifications) apply for the same job, you can be sure that the hearing applicant will win (unless external forces intervene)

The stigma is such, that many HOH folk (if we are are able to) will often avoid even letting our employers know that we are partially deaf - why wipe out our chances of getting a job before we even get to first base? Deaf folk are not not so lucky and just have to suffer the stigma. Consequently (because society has 'pushed them out') they have developed their own methods of communication.

Having said that, I will leave you to draw your own conclusions about why I think that a 'deaf forum' would be of benefit here.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
Noodle22

But this is a BlackBerry forum, what would a Deaf section of the forum be used for? I could see it being good for compiling information about HAC devices in one easy spot, but that can be found just by searching as well.

I don't mean this to sound negative, I'm just re asking what others have asked.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #18
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
But this is a BlackBerry forum, what would a Deaf section of the forum be used for? I could see it being good for compiling information about HAC devices in one easy spot, but that can be found just by searching as well.

I don't mean this to sound negative, I'm just re asking what others have asked.
A deaf forum will mostly appeal to the deaf. The deaf have their own culture, that is not (and has never been) fully understood by the masses.

Deaf folk, because of earlier educational difficulties (it's difficult to learn to read and write if you are unable to hear) often make vocabulary errors; they also have difficulty with complex structures such as complements and relative clauses. Many (not all) tend to stay away from forums dedicated solely to the masses; many of them use Blackberry devices I will add.

I am wondering as well why anyone would be against a deaf forum - what harm would it do? considering that it only takes about two minutes to create a new forum (using the vBulletin software) and about the same amount of time to delete one (if the idea does not fly)

Let me also appeal to the capitalistic nature of these forums; there is (I have noticed) great support for our forum 'sponsors' I suspect that a new deaf forum might receive lots of new sponsors (relating to gadgets, devices, and services, and Blackberry software for the deaf) but will add that this might take some time, and that I suspect that interest will be very low (in the beginning) Likely there are only a few deaf members posting here (possibly none at all) If there is no interest at all, I suspect that the idea might not be worth pursuing.

Lastly, I would advise to not put too much weight on my post. I am not deaf myself and do not speak for the deaf, they are quite capable of speaking for themselves.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidA View Post
Consequently (because society has 'pushed them out') they have developed their own methods of communication.
Ok, understood... completely. And like I've said, I'm completely sympathetic to the idea, but I'd like to read some reasoning other than deaf folk want a subforum all to themselves.

And I understand the idea they might like to "tend to stay away from forums dedicated solely to the masses", but here -- of all places, no one even needs to know and/or could judge them by their lack of hearing. Here, it just makes no difference if your deaf or one armed. The typed word comes out the same.

And for "vocabulary errors", etc., a HOH person's grammar or lack of grammar skills won't stand out here... not at all!

I would think here and today, INclusion should be the goal, not EXclusion.

"Y'all -- this is the regular forum. Deaf people, get back there, ok?"
I just don't get how that is right -- or preferred.

So yea, I see how someone can be against it.
I don't see how anyone could encourage that kind of treatment.

Last edited by JSanders; 02-10-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #20
punkinbee59

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidA View Post
A deaf forum will mostly appeal to the deaf. The deaf have their own culture, that is not (and has never been) fully understood by the masses.

Deaf folk, because of earlier educational difficulties (it's difficult to learn to read and write if you are unable to hear) often make vocabulary errors; they also have difficulty with complex structures such as complements and relative clauses. Many (not all) tend to stay away from forums dedicated solely to the masses; many of them use Blackberry devices I will add.

I am wondering as well why anyone would be against a deaf forum - what harm would it do? considering that it only takes about two minutes to create a new forum (using the vBulletin software) and about the same amount of time to delete one (if the idea does not fly)

Let me also appeal to the capitalistic nature of these forums; there is (I have noticed) great support for our forum 'sponsors' I suspect that a new deaf forum might receive lots of new sponsors (relating to gadgets, devices, and services, and Blackberry software for the deaf) but will add that this might take some time, and that I suspect that interest will be very low (in the beginning) Likely there are only a few deaf members posting here (possibly none at all) If there is no interest at all, I suspect that the idea might not be worth pursuing.

Lastly, I would advise to not put too much weight on my post. I am not deaf myself and do not speak for the deaf, they are quite capable of speaking for themselves.
what you said

the reason I asked for this subforum is that although we all have one thing in common is using the BB...there are devices and other conveniences that deaf/HOH members might know of to pass it on to other deaf/HOH members here in this forum.

and I'm not saying that we're being exclusive about it, it's just another forum that we have in common and to get information about deaf/HOH devices for our BB's. I don't think any of the hearing folks would know of voice to text software that works with certain type of BB's. how about relay services? how about data plans for the deaf/HOH clients? having this subforum would help get any or all information about extra things for our BB out to the deaf/HOH members who aren't up to speed, and I feel it would help out tremendously.

as for languages...this had NOTHING to do with languages...it had to do with creating a subforum to get information out. It's just an extra thing on top of other BB forums to help us with technical issues, that's all. I've never studied sign or ASL til I got to college. My grammar wasn't improved til I took Business English. I'm HI with 80% -90% loss. I can do voice and hear ok on the phone...but it's texting that I prefer to use with my BB to cut down the frustration from hearing people and myself.

yes, the deafies have their own culture, but that's not what I'm after...I'm after getting information out to those who aren't on the up and up about cool devices, headsets, etc...

hope that makes sense about my request
Closed Thread