Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
jimmywayne
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default 8320 and wifi

Please Login to Remove!

I have a t-mobile 8320 and some times can't get phone reception but I can get wifi how do I make my phone to use wifi to place and receive phone calls
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

It's simple, you don't.

T-Mobile has a special wireless router that you can install at your home and IF you pay for it, you can use WiFi for phone calls.

Or you need to be near a T-Mobile Hot Spot.

HotSpot @Home by T-Mobile | Unlimited WiFi Cell Phone Service Plan
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Actually, that is inaccurate. You can use many many wireless routers as long as they are configured properly. and you do not have to pay for it, UMA is free, it just uses your minutes.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

i would start here http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...ma-8320-a.html
Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
ourtech
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't know if this deal is still available, but if you sign up for the service (Hotspot at home or something similar - 9.99 per month) you get the router for 50.00 with a 50.00 rebate = Free. NO committment on time. Ulimited UMA calling on WIFI anywhere.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
gshine666
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: to.
Carrier: Verizon

I'm using it on a Apple Airport Extreme. There were some problems at first, but Apple eventually issued a patch and it has worked great for months. Before that I was using a Link-sys something which worked fine also.

If you are not paying for the service, you can still use the wi-fi to get signal, but it will take away from your minutes like you cell plan normally would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
It's simple, you don't.

T-Mobile has a special wireless router that you can install at your home and IF you pay for it, you can use WiFi for phone calls.

Or you need to be near a T-Mobile Hot Spot.

HotSpot @Home by T-Mobile | Unlimited WiFi Cell Phone Service Plan
Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Grahamc1965

Model: 8320
Exclamation

Actually , you can make phone calls through your own router , and do not need t-mobiles router . You have to set up wifi on your curve . You do not have to pay $9.99 or whatever it costs if you only connect to your own router . The $9.99 is so that you can connect your phone to any t-mobile hotspot and make calls and use the internet on your phone . It will not work on a laptop .
Set up your wifi on your phone to connect to your router , and make sure you have security set up on your router .
Where i live , i do not get a t-mobile signal in my apt , but i can connect and make phone calls with my wireless router .
It must say UMA , not uma . Yes , the upper case does matter .
This is NOT the same as t-mobile@home , but will work with it .

The thing is , if you do not have the hotspot addon for the $9.99
The minutes you use will come off your t-mobile allotment , unless you are in your night time or weekend minutes .
And as stated other places , do NOT try to connect your phone through someone elses router , it is Illegal and will be prosecuted as Theft of Service or other charges depending on where you live .

Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
CashMoneyBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamc1965 View Post
Where i live , i do not get a t-mobile signal in my apt , but i can connect and make phone calls with my wireless router .

I will second this. I live in a basement, and have one bar of service. Thanks to UMA, I can connect to my AT&T DSL(2wire) router without any problems. I get full service.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Ok here is a quick run down.

You may make calls with UMA or uma. The difference of the two is simply if you are connected to RIMs servers. UMA you are uma you are not. This only effects Email and BBM.

Yes UMA "can" work on any router. The Apple Airport and N routers have had very bad results.

Be sure you have the latest firmware on your router and check out the link Sith provided above.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamc1965 View Post
Actually , you can make phone calls through your own router , and do not need t-mobiles router . You have to set up wifi on your curve . You do not have to pay $9.99 or whatever it costs if you only connect to your own router . The $9.99 is so that you can connect your phone to any t-mobile hotspot and make calls and use the internet on your phone . It will not work on a laptop .
Just a minor note here, but the above is incorrect. You do not need to pay a single cent extra in order to use UMA on your device at any wireless connection that will allow the service to work. The only thing you pay for is *free* minutes while making calls over UMA.

Quote:
Another note, but the uppercase/lowercase means nothing for making or receiving phone calls, only whether or not you have a connection to the BIS servers for email. You can make and receive phone calls with either uma or UMA.

Also, UMA is T-Mobile@Home or whatever it's called.

Dave
Old 07-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Grahamc1965

To connect to a tmobile hotspot like in Starbucks , you do have to have the hotspot plan .
UMA and uma are NOT the same . But he is right , case does not matter for phone calls .
It does make a difference in sending email and web browsing .
UMA is not a tmobile service , it is a protocol .
UMA stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access

UMA technology provides alternative access to GSM and GPRS core network services via IP-based broadband connections. In order to deliver a seamless user experience, the specifications define a new network element (the UMA Network Controller, UNC) and associated protocols that provide for the secure transport of GSM/GPRS signalling and user plane traffic over IP. The UNC interfaces into the core network via existing 3GPP specified A/Gb interfaces.

Try going to a starbucks and connecting to hotspots without a plan .

UMA - You can use the phone, send and receive e-mail messages, PIN messages, SMS text messages, MMS messages, and use the browser using UMA instead of a mobile network connection.

uma - You can use the phone and send and receive SMS text messages and MMS messages using uma instead of a mobile network connection.

Anyway , its all good . I may have had errors in my post , and if so i apologize .
As long as you can connect and it works , it really doesnt matter what anyone says ... LOL
Closed Thread