BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
wdduck
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Centennial Wireless (GSM)
Thumbs up Sprint Nextel News- READ THIS!!!

Please Login to Remove!

OK folks here it is. I am the General Manager for a dealer and my CEO & President are at a 4 day Sprint Nextel Dealer Conference as I type this. I am getting all kinds of info passed to me. The most important in my mind is the new PTT & WiFi Blackberry coming this year. Thats right you didn't miss read, they are launching a BB with PTT and WiFi. Don't ask me for models or any additional info I don't have it yet. I can tell you they are launching it with WiFi because they obviously can't use the evdo network and they want the available high speed for users. Atleast that is the message. This is all I have on that for now on that. The iDen network is also getting a bunch of new handsets this year. Slimmer phones finally.

I can also tell you that they are launching the Curve in April and the Palm 800w in June. These will be on the CDMA (Sprint network). They are also bring a Windows Mobile handset out with the PTT later this year as well. This will be the Hybrid smart phone.

Enjoy and look forward. I know I am. I left the 7100i for the Treo 700wx and also carrying the i836. I would love to go back to a BB on the Nextel network.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

for the record, just because the device is PTT doesnt make it iDEN. there have been several PTT blackberrys since the 7100i, none of them are on iDEN. keep in mind that Sprint also has their PTT (Ready-Link). They are also working on qchat and wi-max so it is entirely possible *if* this info is what they are going to do, that it will not be on the iDEN side.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
wdduck

I am just telling you what is coming out of the meetings. A new iDen BB is coming and they are not actually calling the new Direct Connect Q-chat. They are refering to it as Push to X. I have no reason to make this up. Again I am only passing info from the conference Sprint Nextel is holding in Nashville TN right now.

8310 > Pin= 243BAB32
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

i know, and i just saying it would be odd for RIM to release information like this so far in advance, seeing as they are notoriously closed about upcoming devices. if they just tell every subdealer what is going on, information would be all over the net for their entire years lineup. if the information is accurate that would mean a great boost to Sprint/Nextel which might help stabilize their loses.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Interesting. Will be welcome to Sprint and Nextel users alike.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
brokenchode

Model: 0000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdduck View Post

I can also tell you that they are launching the Curve in April and the Palm 800w in June. These will be on the CDMA (Sprint network). They are also bring a Windows Mobile handset out with the PTT later this year as well. This will be the Hybrid smart phone.
What did they say about the Sprint BB? Any and all info would be much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
treybon

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/264; U; en))

This is what I was telling you to KYEO for last week, Sith. It will be iDEN.
Washington State
Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybon View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/264; U; en))

This is what I was telling you to KYEO for last week, Sith. It will be iDEN.
will believe it when I see it. Not before only because I also have inside Info on the IDEN side. I work side by side with our EMA/Homeland Security Director. And the info we are getting from Nextel is very different from what you are saying.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

I'm using an 8320 with WIFI (and have been since last year) with T-Mobile -- so while a WIFI BB may be news for Sprint -- it's old had for the rest of the world. Even AT&T has a WIFI Blackberry already on the market.

Q-Chat has been talked about for going on how many years? I would take a WAG at 2 years. For some reason Sprint/Nextel have never been able to get their PTT networks to inter-operate. Despite multiple "just around the corner" promises.

I'm not seeing the "newness" in anything here. Just my .02
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
purephase
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

I can't see it happening. You know what the battery life on an iDen/Wifi device would be like? Hardly get a day out of it now. As Dawg said, I'll believe it when I see it. This type of announcement so far in advance is very unlike RIM.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
myet01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703E

wdduck, I just want to say thanks for the news. Some folks are always negative and trying to shoot holes in any information that comes out. As a manager you took a big risk passing us this information and I want to say thanks very much. I in particular am waiting very anxiously for the BB Curve. I wish it was March instead of April but oh well.

Tony
Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
beatwombat

Model: 8830
Default iDen BB

I was on a webcast and they announced the iDEn BB last week. It willhave a full QWERTY keyboard, wifi , and DC. Wont be out till Q4 though.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
PowerCell

Model: 8100
PIN: che Cabron
Carrier: T-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatwombat View Post
Wont be out till Q4 though.

I'm not too confident iDEN will have a pulse come 4th quarter...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

They will....
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
bartco

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I appreciate the news as I use the PTT with my 7100i. I'd love to upgrade the OS. My current version is 4.1.0.376 Is there anything more current? If so, could you please provide a link. Thanks...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
purephase
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

That was the final OS release for the 7100i.

I just don't see the demand for a new iDEN BB. By Q4 almost all of the existing BB iDEN subscribers will have jumped ship to other networks since the 3-year plans on the 7100i will have all expired.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
wdduck

This Verifies some of the info:

Beyond Push-to-Talk, Current Nextel Direct Connect Capabilities Include Push-to-Send email, Contact Info or Pictures; Coming Launch of

New Phones Will Enable Additional Features

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 19, 2008--With Nextel Direct Connect, customers of Sprint (NYSE:S) have access to more than just the world's fastest and largest push-to-talk service and the only such service with international capabilities - they also have industry-leading "push-to-x" capabilities. Push-to-x features bring the convenience of "the button" to multiple Nextel Direct Connect applications, including push-to-send voice messages to any email address, with NextMail(SM), and push-to-send pictures or contact info with Direct Send(SM).

"Part of our 15 years of experience offering industry-leading Nextel Direct Connect has been offering innovative uses for 'the button' with push-to-x features," said John Garcia, chief marketing officer for Sprint. "Whether it's reviewing a picture while on a call or quickly sending full contact information, Nextel Direct Connect offers users even more ways to get things done instantly with the button."

"Instant communication is critical to customers who need to maximize their productivity in our fast-paced world, and Nextel Direct Connect has been providing that capability for years," said Nate Dyer, senior analyst at Yankee Group. "Sprint has taken that same 'instant' customer requirement and extended the simplicity and speed beyond voice calls to a range of other push-to-x capabilities."

Push-to-Email

With NextMail, customers can use the Nextel Direct Connect button to push-to-send voice messages to any email address. The NextMail service allows customers to select a recipient from their address book, push the Direct Connect button, speak to record the message and release the button to send the message to their recipient's email address. The recipient receives an email in their Inbox with a link they can click to listen to the message and respond back to the sender via text. NextMail is available for $7.50 per month.

Push-to-Picture

Customers can also use their Direct Connect button to send a picture to compatible phones, with Direct Send. Customers can send the picture while on a Direct Connect call, and the picture appears on both the sender's and recipient's phones simultaneously, so they can view and discuss in real time. Direct Send is the industry's only push-to-picture service that allows pictures to be sent while on a call, enabling a real estate agent to share a photo of a new listing with a client for immediate discussion or a construction worker to instantly send a picture to management to discuss the latest progress on the job site. Direct Send Picture is available on compatible phones for $0.25 per picture.

Push-to-Send Contact Information

Direct Send also allows customers to instantly send contact information at the push of a button. Customers can send their own contact information or the contact information of anyone in their address book - including email address, fax number, pager number and more - simply by selecting the desired contact from their address book and pushing the Direct Connect button. Sending contact information is available on compatible phones at no additional charge to Nextel Direct Connect subscribers.

Future Push-to-X

In addition to the current push-to-x features available on Nextel Direct Connect, new capabilities are expected as a result of the launch later this year of a new line of Nextel Direct Connect-capable phones with Sprint Mobile Broadband data capabilities. This expansion of Nextel Direct Connect is expected to ultimately deliver robust capabilities including new 'push-to-x' features, which could include push-to-text, push-to-locate, push-to-information and other enhanced features in the future, all designed to further extend the concept of one-touch communications.

8310 > Pin= 243BAB32
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdduck View Post
This Verifies some of the info:

Beyond Push-to-Talk, Current Nextel Direct Connect Capabilities Include Push-to-Send email, Contact Info or Pictures; Coming Launch of

New Phones Will Enable Additional Features

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 19, 2008--With Nextel Direct Connect, customers of Sprint (NYSE:S) have access to more than just the world's fastest and largest push-to-talk service and the only such service with international capabilities - they also have industry-leading "push-to-x" capabilities. Push-to-x features bring the convenience of "the button" to multiple Nextel Direct Connect applications, including push-to-send voice messages to any email address, with NextMail(SM), and push-to-send pictures or contact info with Direct Send(SM).

"Part of our 15 years of experience offering industry-leading Nextel Direct Connect has been offering innovative uses for 'the button' with push-to-x features," said John Garcia, chief marketing officer for Sprint. "Whether it's reviewing a picture while on a call or quickly sending full contact information, Nextel Direct Connect offers users even more ways to get things done instantly with the button."

"Instant communication is critical to customers who need to maximize their productivity in our fast-paced world, and Nextel Direct Connect has been providing that capability for years," said Nate Dyer, senior analyst at Yankee Group. "Sprint has taken that same 'instant' customer requirement and extended the simplicity and speed beyond voice calls to a range of other push-to-x capabilities."

Push-to-Email

With NextMail, customers can use the Nextel Direct Connect button to push-to-send voice messages to any email address. The NextMail service allows customers to select a recipient from their address book, push the Direct Connect button, speak to record the message and release the button to send the message to their recipient's email address. The recipient receives an email in their Inbox with a link they can click to listen to the message and respond back to the sender via text. NextMail is available for $7.50 per month.

Push-to-Picture

Customers can also use their Direct Connect button to send a picture to compatible phones, with Direct Send. Customers can send the picture while on a Direct Connect call, and the picture appears on both the sender's and recipient's phones simultaneously, so they can view and discuss in real time. Direct Send is the industry's only push-to-picture service that allows pictures to be sent while on a call, enabling a real estate agent to share a photo of a new listing with a client for immediate discussion or a construction worker to instantly send a picture to management to discuss the latest progress on the job site. Direct Send Picture is available on compatible phones for $0.25 per picture.

Push-to-Send Contact Information

Direct Send also allows customers to instantly send contact information at the push of a button. Customers can send their own contact information or the contact information of anyone in their address book - including email address, fax number, pager number and more - simply by selecting the desired contact from their address book and pushing the Direct Connect button. Sending contact information is available on compatible phones at no additional charge to Nextel Direct Connect subscribers.

Future Push-to-X

In addition to the current push-to-x features available on Nextel Direct Connect, new capabilities are expected as a result of the launch later this year of a new line of Nextel Direct Connect-capable phones with Sprint Mobile Broadband data capabilities. This expansion of Nextel Direct Connect is expected to ultimately deliver robust capabilities including new 'push-to-x' features, which could include push-to-text, push-to-locate, push-to-information and other enhanced features in the future, all designed to further extend the concept of one-touch communications.

Didnt see Black berry mentioned anywhere in that press release so how does that confirm anything?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: K1
PIN: Positive Intrinsic Negative???
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
I'm not too confident iDEN will have a pulse come 4th quarter...
Funny. Our Nextel folks told us the Q4 thing as well and My response was really similar. Q4 is a long way away. Sprint doesn't care about iDEN and whoever is going to buy Sprint between now and Q4 really won't care about iDEN...

Imagine the SlingPlayer on that blazing 9.6kbps iDEN network
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
wdduck

OK OK....I am done I am only trying to pass on helpful info. I am done!!!

8310 > Pin= 243BAB32
Closed Thread