Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Iago09

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default Confused in Japan

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all, I'm a newbie. I'm thinking of buying a BlackBerry as an alternative to the iPhone. From what I've seen of them, they seem to be what I'm looking for in a device. Only one tiny problem, I live in Japan and when I asked the DoCoMo people about getting one, they politely told me that I have to be part of a corporate plan to get one. Is that BlackBerry Wide, or some crazy Japanese thing? Is there anyway that I can get one in Japan with service that isn't equivilant to a mortgage payment? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Iago09
Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

As I understand, the 8707 is only available for use in Japan on the DoCoMo network.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...rry-japan.html
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
As I understand, the 8707 is only available for use in Japan on the DoCoMo network.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...rry-japan.html
The just announced model supports UMTS 2100mhz (same as the 8707) so it should work on DoComo
Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

You'll need the 8707 or the 9000.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you live in Japan, my advice is to buy a Japanese device. Their network is basically a proprietary one right now with the frequency bands they use. Plus support would also be an issue for you. Non-Japanese devices typically do not work very well if at all.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Iago09

That's unfortunate. The devices are limited to mayb one or two, and like I said, they won't sell me one unless I'm on a corporate contract....and I'm not. What a frustrating country.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago09 View Post
That's unfortunate. The devices are limited to mayb one or two, and like I said, they won't sell me one unless I'm on a corporate contract....and I'm not. What a frustrating country.
Hey look on the bright side at least you guys have the latest and greatest fashions. Sneakers, jeans, and etc.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Iago09

Default I wish

Maybe that's true, but unless you have thousands in disposable income each month you'll never be able to buy the "latest and greatest"...lol. Imagine paying $400 for a pair of jeans that you would pay $100 for in the states...and now aply that to every purchase you ever make...Like I said, what a frustrating country. It is because "price-fixing" is not illegal here. Which as a result leads to fewer options in some areas, such as Blackberries. The companies wouldn't settle for less than 400% profit margins on foriegn goods, and they know that because Japanese phones are technically superior in most cases that most Japanese consumers wouldn't buy them, so they restrict the models offered....Nice, hu?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

I purchased my 8707 from vodaphone when I was in Australia, and use that in Japan on a regular basis. I would search on the internet, I'm positive you'll find one. Another option is to get a 8320. I also use that model in Japan quite a bit but you'll have to be hooked up to wifi. As you know, there are lot's of wifi sites if you know where to look. If you're with T-mobile, then you'll have toll free calls to the USA and back.
Closed Thread