BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default "You will ONLY use your iPhone for apps that WE let you use (and we make $$ on)!!

Please Login to Remove!

Wow, I continue to be more and more glad I didn't jump on the iPhone bandwagon. I bought and paid for my phone, and prefer to make my own decisions on what apps to run on it, not be dictated to by the manufacturer's Gestapo tactics!

Quote:
Apple Inc has blocked rival Sony Corp's electronic book application from the iPhone because it would have circumvented Apple's system for buying content.

Sony's app, which is linked to Sony's e-book reader, would have allowed people to read books bought through Sony's store.

Apple ... wanted to ensure that customers could buy books using its payment method, known as "in-app purchase," which provides Apple with a 30 percent cut of sales.
Apple blocks Sony Reader app from iPhone
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: "You will ONLY use your iPhone for apps that WE let you use (and we make $$ on)!!

From your several posts on this, it's obvious that you're not pleased with how Apple does business... and that's perfectly fine. Apple products certainly aren't for everyone, but there's no denying that they're innovative, well-designed, well-built and all around good quality products.

Additionally, they must be doing something right seeing as they're the second wealthiest company on the planet and their end-user satisfaction is first on the list.
That's gotta earn them some respect, no?

Like it or not, they're a strong competitor for RIM and they're not going away any time soon.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: "You will ONLY use your iPhone for apps that WE let you use (and we make $$ on)!!

I'm a huge Apple fan. Oddly, the only product from Cupertino I don't use is their most popular ever - the iPhone. Apple's design philosophy has set the standard across all product lines. They've built quite a compelling ecosystem and successfully leveraged their many products.

Philosophically I do love the concept of open source. But in the real world I've always had the best user experience with proprietary/closed systems. Mac OSX, Microsoft Windows and the Office Suite, etc. They simply kick the crap out of Linux and Open Office.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Competition is where it's at. Closed, end-to-end systems provide advantages, and as penquin points out, Apple does it right and is rewarded with a large number of customers. But different strokes...Be thankful we have options.

Use what works best for you.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

One of the primary apps I use on my iPad is the Amazon Kindle app. If that app is pulled or restricted because Apple wants a cut of the price of the book that I pay to Amazon, I will definitely be unhappy. Apple may be pushing the envelope on this one.

Time to recharge the Kindle.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

I think there's some misunderstanding about this recent "news".
Apple hasn't changed any of its policies... but rather decided to enforce one they already had in place.

Apple is just saying that if Sony or Amazon offers content for an iOS app outside of the Apple world, then they must also offer that same content inside of the Apple world, through iTunes.
You're not forced to use iTunes... but they want it to be an option.
This isn't entirely unreasonable.

And... my Kindle is always charged. Still can't get used to reading books on my iPad screen.

Last edited by penguin3107; 02-02-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I read it as they want a piece of the $$$ that I pay to Amazon (either through the App or via the Internet). It is a money grab (not illegal) but part of the Apple ecosystem where they want to control everything. Like Google ;)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

I would expect a lawsuit over this as basically Apple is limiting what you can do with a device you own. The only way I see this as legal is if Apple uses the argument that you are only "renting" the device and do not actually own it similiar to some of the logic (or illogic) that software makers use in legal matters. Since this is not part of the original purchase agreement I doubt this would hold up in court. The end result could be the Feds telling Apple that they have to make the hardware group and iTunes/App store two seperate corporations.

This is similiar to you buying a Mustang and Ford telling you that you have to buy gas from a certain vendor that is giving Ford a kickback. The kickback part is where things get rather questionable especially if you buy it used.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
I would expect a lawsuit over this...
Yawn.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
Max Peck
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I'm a huge Apple fan. Oddly, the only product from Cupertino I don't use is their most popular ever - the iPhone. Apple's design philosophy has set the standard across all product lines. They've built quite a compelling ecosystem and successfully leveraged their many products.

Philosophically I do love the concept of open source. But in the real world I've always had the best user experience with proprietary/closed systems. Mac OSX, Microsoft Windows and the Office Suite, etc. They simply kick the crap out of Linux and Open Office.
That's because there is a profit motive behind the production of the products. While you might find some good free stuff out there, you're never going to consistently find "Open Source" stuff to be of higher quality than commercial offerings. That's just the way it goes - and should go, IMHO.

I'm an Apple "fan" too ... at least for the handhelds. I have an iPod Touch (4G). Slick device. I don't think I'll go to the iPhone on Verizon just yet, though ... I'm going to give this BB a shot for awhile. They're both nice devices. The BB seems a bit more durable than an iPhone to me. At-least that's the way I'll play it for now.

-Max

Last edited by Max Peck; 02-02-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
I would expect a lawsuit over this as basically Apple is limiting what you can do with a device you own. The only way I see this as legal is if Apple uses the argument that you are only "renting" the device and do not actually own it similiar to some of the logic (or illogic) that software makers use in legal matters. Since this is not part of the original purchase agreement I doubt this would hold up in court. The end result could be the Feds telling Apple that they have to make the hardware group and iTunes/App store two seperate corporations.

This is similiar to you buying a Mustang and Ford telling you that you have to buy gas from a certain vendor that is giving Ford a kickback. The kickback part is where things get rather questionable especially if you buy it used.
Don't count on it.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

for some reason after purchase, and opening the package which sorta bind you to it, you then get the tos which locks the rest to apple.

since you cant actually use an i product out of the box before first connecting to itunes and the tos, i doubt anybody will win anything vs this.

its a closed platform with bait and switch tactics. no where on the packaging advertising does it say i need itunes for it to function.

but anyway, this will just probably get 2 things, no more kindle for apple products or thats going to be the one and only app allowed. nothing else, nobody else.

considering amazon has a good market share of users i doubt apple wants to take amazon on, as for sony, most people hate sony probably apple also, so they target them.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
its a closed platform with bait and switch tactics. no where on the packaging advertising does it say i need itunes for it to function.
Have you even seen the packaging?
Bait & Switch? Gimme a break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone4box.gif
Views:	769
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	19074  

Last edited by penguin3107; 02-05-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
wabbit

lets read that, itunes 9.2 or later required for some features. what part of some features is the phone is bricked prior to connecting with itunes.... if thats "some features" then i'm a fool.

what i do find interesting is my iphone 3g box was blank, ipod 2g blank, and ipad has requires itunes9.2 with no features so probably some legal team finally noticed this discrepancy.

Last edited by wabbit; 02-05-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Old 02-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
hachiroku
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Why do we need itunes with quicktime, I hate quicktime
Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #16
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachiroku View Post
Why do we need itunes with quicktime, I hate quicktime
you dont just dont buy an apple product.
Closed Thread