BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
DominoHK

Model: 7100g
Exclamation SMS: A major shortfall in BB !!!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi fellow BB users,

I need a solution to backup/read/access SMS in BB to PC. For Palm or PPC devices, there are 3rd party software to send/receive/backup/access SMS via the PC. Is there such a solution for BB: device (7100) or BES (v4) ?? I read all comments in this forum so far but everytime this question is raised, silence is the answer !

Perhaps BB is only a great email and contacts management device and not a all round reliable communication tool, not to mentioned that the phone part of the device is still in its 1G stage.

Any help will be appreciated !
Old 10-17-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

BES 4.1 will offer the ability to log SMS messages - its an audit trail, if you will, that will send an email to a specified address with the SMS message; exactly the same as BlackBerry Messenger messages now. this is an option that is disabled by default that is geared towards SOX and other security compliancies.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominoHK
Hi fellow BB users,

I need a solution to backup/read/access SMS in BB to PC. For Palm or PPC devices, there are 3rd party software to send/receive/backup/access SMS via the PC. Is there such a solution for BB: device (7100) or BES (v4) ?? I read all comments in this forum so far but everytime this question is raised, silence is the answer !

Perhaps BB is only a great email and contacts management device and not a all round reliable communication tool, not to mentioned that the phone part of the device is still in its 1G stage.

Any help will be appreciated !
1G is analog dude... there is nothing analog about a blackberry. Get your facts straight before complaining about things.

Please only post your question once, in a single forum, not multiple and most people wouldn't consider not being able to backup SMS as a 'major shortfall'.

Geez. Monday mornings...
Old 10-17-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
khawn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 6230
Default red light blinking

Sorry I didn't start a new subject. Couldn't do it on handheld for some reason.
Why is my little red light blinking? Its been doing it since I took it off the charger.
Ken
Old 10-17-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

OP is quite a bit exaggerated. If the Blackberry's current lack of an SMS export tool is "A major shortfall" then I'd hate to see the OP's opinion of other devices on the market...
Old 10-17-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Cant see the great thing about sms anyway.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Cant see the great thing about sms anyway.
I agree. SMS is great on a phone that doesn't do email, but when you have such a powerful email device, why use SMS...

I send no more than 10 SMS messages a month, but I guess some of the youngsters go insane with their messages, I read on HoFo that one guy hit 50000 messages in a single month. That is just insane...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

that is insane I agree with the email statment whole heartedly scooby why would you need it. And most phones these days do email.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
bookeyuk

Model: 7290

SMS is more used here in the UK where email usage via BB has not really taken off to the same level as USA / Canada.

I myself send around 600 SMS per month
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

I think SMS is popular because it creates a similar user experience to BlackBerry Push e-mail, only it is limited to mobile phones.
I like SMS when sending messages to Friends that do not have BlackBerry. I only do that when they are not on Messenger so they are not at home and probably have their cell phone with them.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 AM   #11
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: none

Wirelessly posted (My sword: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

@ khawn its not a good idea to hijack threads. But oh what the hell... Your red light is blinking because you have an 'unread' message. You can't post via bb because the owner/admin doesn't think he has enough wireless traffic to have the need for an upgraded forum...!?! Last week I was swaping emails to hopefully become a sponsor to change that, but he stop communicating with me...
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
blkfstco

Model: 7230

Here's a great reason for SMS
sms.google.com
Old 10-17-2005, 07:39 PM   #13
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
I agree. SMS is great on a phone that doesn't do email, but when you have such a powerful email device, why use SMS...

I send no more than 10 SMS messages a month, but I guess some of the youngsters go insane with their messages, I read on HoFo that one guy hit 50000 messages in a single month. That is just insane...
People would say the same thing about some of us for how many emails we send a day a week a month.

But my thought is which I am sure is others is with v4.1 we will see SMS across the board on all BB's.

pink
Old 10-18-2005, 12:21 AM   #14
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Don't know how factual this is: But I recently read a report that estimated the cost of SMS at approximately $600/MB (assuming the user is on pay-per-use; not unlimited use).

I just use SMS to communicate with those who don't have a Blackberry...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
DominoHK

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
1G is analog dude... there is nothing analog about a blackberry. Get your facts straight before complaining about things.

Please only post your question once, in a single forum, not multiple and most people wouldn't consider not being able to backup SMS as a 'major shortfall'.

Geez. Monday mornings...
Sometimes, people who sits in the bottom of a well thought the sky is so small.

As there are a much larger population of mobile users who do use BB, SMS is a major tool to suppliment voice communication; just like people with email, they write less letters. However, in countries where there are more mobile users than the entire US population, being US centric is like looking the sky from the bottom of a well: Just imagine that email cannot be backup or BB cannot sync with a PC. That will be a major shortfall !

Anyway, there seems to be no solution at all about SMS backup nor accessing it from desktop. No wonder there are still more use of other type of smartphone then just a "email" phone.

Geez: Monday what ?!?
Closed Thread