Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
asj2008
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Voizpod: Listen to the Web!

Please Login to Remove!

We'd love your comments and suggestions..just email me at asjbiotek (at) gmail.com

We created a way for Blackberry users (e.g. commuters on train, at work, etc) to subscribe and LISTEN to their favorite blogs or news. The system translates text to voice and can be accessed via a Blackberry.

Voizpod.com

The link to download mobile application via your cell browser is:
voizpod.com/m75/

* sorry for the link, but I still cannot post full links...

Thanks...

A-roy San Juan

Last edited by asj2008; 07-09-2008 at 11:16 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Has anyone ever heard of, or tried this app?

Kamau
Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
asj2008

Default Voizpod.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Wirelessly posted

Has anyone ever heard of, or tried this app?
Hi,

This is a new mobile and web app that is just launching. We started the project last year.

I think it's pretty cool because you can download and save audio files of web pages and blogs and news to your blackberry and listen to them at any time. I use it on my new JUICY COOL dark red blackberry curve....

Btw, thanks for those who tried it so far, you actually strained the system

Last edited by asj2008; 07-09-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2008 View Post
Hi,

This is a new mobile and web app that is just launching. We started the project last year.

I think it's pretty cool because you can download and save audio files of web pages and blogs and news to your blackberry and listen to them at any time. I use it on my new JUICY COOL dark red blackberry curve....

Btw, thanks for those who tried it so far, you actually strained the system
Does it save to Media Card?? I imagine a lot of those files will be large for the device memory...

Any website with more details?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
asj2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
Does it save to Media Card?? I imagine a lot of those files will be large for the device memory...

Any website with more details?
Hi,

Actually, when I use it on my Blackberry Curve I have to save it on a 2 GB mini SD Card because it won't allow you to download to the store/ root folder (we don't have a signed version of the app yet, probably)

The website is here (I still cannot post URLs, sorry), just copy it to your Firefox or IE browser...

Voizpod.com

There are FAQs and all other stuff on it...

There are two ways to listen on your mobile:

1. Just choose and play - this downloads and then plays multiple articles. You do NOT need any storage media for this because no files are stored in the mobile. It plays immediately and is then gone from memory. This mode will work even for cellphones with no storage to speak of, like Motorola Razrs. The negative to this is that there is a waiting period while downloading occurs and then play starts.

2. Download and save - this will allow one touch downloading of all articles from your favorite news or blog to file storage in your Blackberry. With a 2 GB SD card I can download and store many many many audio files. With this mode, you can download earlier, then later play all your articles with no time lag.

The mobile download link for blackberry curves (and other mobiles which have a file system) is:

voizpod.com/m75

But you should read the website first from your desktop at:

voizpod.com

Last edited by asj2008; 07-09-2008 at 11:17 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMo

I get errors parsing Channel List, and it says I don't have an active internet connection (I'm on UMA at the moment), even though my APN settings are correct.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
asj2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankypoo View Post
I get errors parsing Channel List, and it says I don't have an active internet connection (I'm on UMA at the moment), even though my APN settings are correct.
Hi,

Sorry for the problem!

Can you try it again?...from 440 pm to around 5 pm Eastern Time we had multiple people registering and transforming quite a lot of websites (blogs) which created an out of memory error in the server. That might have caused your mobile app to be unable to reach the server.

be sure to go to Other Stuff --> User Settings, and put in your user information to login.

You can contact me directly at asjbiotek (at) gmail.com if you still have problems...please be sure you allow Java mobile apps (such as Google Mail Mobile, Yahoo Go, Opera Mini, etc) to be able to access the internet

And I do apologize for any problems and hassles...i posted this here just for that purpose, to see whether other users in other carriers (other than verizon, which i believe cannot run mobile apps based on java) using other blackberry curves/pearl can also run it ok....

thanks!

Last edited by asj2008; 07-09-2008 at 04:56 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMo

I still get the same error.

Opera Mini, Google Maps, etc., all work fine.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
asj2008

Quote:

Hi Spanky poo,

I'll just post 2 extraneous posts so I can post URLs to try to help...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
asj2008

Quote:
Hi Spanky poo,

I'll just post 2 extraneous posts so I can post URLs to try to help...
One thing to try btw is to uninstall and install it again...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
asj2008

If uninstalling and installing again does not work, we can create a modified app for you that can spit out a log so you it'll be easier to debug on your end...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
asj2008

Quote:

Hi,

Sorry about that.

I'm home, but what I did was go through the set-up steps and took pics of my Blackberry so I can tell what is going on in your case...sorry for the picture quality but i'm just using a cameraphone...

I would uninstall the current app, then reinstall it again to start fresh...

1. After creating an account on the web at voizpod.com, I download the mobile at voizpod.com/m75

2. The Voizpod icon shows in my blackberry curve desktop:

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/1.jpg

3. I go to the advanvced options and give permission for app to access internet. After clicking on the icon, it shows this:

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/2.jpg

I say YES

4. The voizpod app now tells me that i need to create acct, which i did, so I go past this screen.

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/3.jpg

5. I then immediately see this screen which allows me to place my account info and other user preferences. I set the Download folder to my SDCard.

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/4.jpg

6. It then takes me to the Main menu:

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/5.jpg

7. I pick PLAY and i get to a screen where i can Choose and Play (no storage of files), Play downloads, or Play bookmarked articles. I'll chose Chhose and Play:

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/6.jpg

8. It then should show you all the channels you subscribed to in the website:

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/7.jpg
Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
asj2008

We've taken down the service temporarily in order to increase the heap size of the dedicated server. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
asj2008

Quote:
We've taken down the service temporarily in order to increase the heap size of the dedicated server. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Well, we've switched it back on again. Please try it on for size as usual...

Thanks to all the Curvy and other people who've tested it so far.

Oh, and thanks for the encouraging emails (and suggestions) as well...

PS. It was down awhile because we thought we could easily increase the heap, but run into troubles. We'll try again later....

Last edited by asj2008; 07-10-2008 at 04:10 PM..
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #15
asj2008

We uploaded a newer beta version of the mobile application.

use your mobile browser to go to -
voizpod.com/m75/

If you have already downloaded the older version, just replace it....

This version fixes some problems encountered by a couple of people who could not connect to the network the first time (but was ok after shutting then restarting the mobile app).

Thank you for the suggestions!

PS. please note that cron updating of all recently accessed channels occurs around this time every night (around 1 am Eastern Time) so you may experience slowdowns late nights...

Last edited by asj2008; 07-11-2008 at 12:48 AM..
Old 07-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
asj2008

Hi all,

Thanks again for those who have tested it.

Two things:

1. I still got an email about a user who could not connect to the vozpod network at first, but then restarted the app and it was then fine.

So we again uploaded an incremental new version that hopefully addresses that. Please replace your old versions if possible.

Create an acct if first time:
Voizpod.com

On your mobile web browser, download the newest version:
voizpod.com/m75

2. A user got confused by the difference between Downloading and playing versus just playing (Called "choose and play")

(A) Choose and Play - the app downloads then immediately plays all articles you select. It never saves anything to storage. You can bookmark these articles, but the app will need to redownload it again. This is for devices with no storage.

accessible via Main menu --> Play --> Choose and Play

(B) Download - this saves into your SDCard all new articles from favorite channels that you select. I tried saving into my root folder but it did not allow me to, so you can choose to save it to your SDCard as a preference in user settings.

To illustrate, I just did it on my blackberry:

1. From main Menu go to Downloads. Select your Favorite Channels (the ones that will automatically download)

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/8.jpg

2. After selecting favorites (which is saved so you don't need to do it again), go to Download Favorite Channels. The app will start downloading all the new articles you have not downloaded.

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/9.jpg

3. Because this is not signed, before the app can save it to your local drive, it will ask you. say yes...

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/10.jpg

4. At the end of the downloading process, you will see all the files downloaded:

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/11.jpg

5. To play the downloads, go to Play --> Play Downloads

It will show a list of all your downloaded articles.

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/12.jpg

6. Select all that you want to play (they will play sequentially)

http://www.blueboard.com/temp5/voizpod/13.jpg

Last edited by asj2008; 07-11-2008 at 01:33 PM..
Old 07-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #17
asj2008

Thanks to BerryReview for their rather embarrassing post

» Voizpod Beta - Lets You Listen To RSS Feeds Like Podcasts Free | BerryReview.com

And thanks to BB World as well...the screenshots seem to show they did get it to work! Yay!!!!!

BB World » Ascolta il web da BlackBerry con VoizPod

Please continue to send us emails if you have problems, including which type of Blackberry curve/pearl you have, and what the nature of the problem was.

asjbiotek (at) gmail.com

Last edited by asj2008; 07-15-2008 at 01:29 AM..
Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
jsaradhi

Model: curve

i uninstalled it and reinstalled it. changed permissions (in fact, it was already set to allow for internet use)...created an account, input userid and pwd...

i clicked on choose and play, it say connecting to voizpod network and then i keep getting an error saying that there was a problem with connection (java.io.IOException: Connection not writeable)..." but i do have internet connection. after a flash of that screen it goes to another screen saying warning and says that there is a problem with my username and pwd and to try again. i use the same username and pwd to login to your website and i can get in fine. not sure wats going on. also on my phone it says user name and pwd...while on the website it says "Name" and pwd. are they both the same? or is my username on my phone my email add?

thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #19
asj2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaradhi View Post
i uninstalled it and reinstalled it. changed permissions (in fact, it was already set to allow for internet use)...created an account, input userid and pwd...

i clicked on choose and play, it say connecting to voizpod network and then i keep getting an error saying that there was a problem with connection (java.io.IOException: Connection not writeable)..." but i do have internet connection. after a flash of that screen it goes to another screen saying warning and says that there is a problem with my username and pwd and to try again. i use the same username and pwd to login to your website and i can get in fine. not sure whats going on. also on my phone it says user name and pwd...while on the website it says "Name" and pwd. are they both the same? or is my username on my phone my email add?

thanks!
Hi,

I got your email as well...thanks for the feedback...

The actual problem is the connection...when the app first tries to connect to the internet it is actually sending any login info you may have. If the connection is never realized, then the second error screen also displays.

Can you try the following?

1. make sure you have the latest build.
voizpod.com/m75

2. Make sure you give the mobile app PERMISSION to access the internet.
this will be under options, advanced options, apps, then to the voizpod app....

3. Try it...

If it does not connect the first time, do NOT uninstall then reinstall (as you said above).

Simply exit the app, then start it again.

This error that we are seeing in Blackbberys (Network connection error) seems to happen sporadically, and is not systemic. We also don't seem to see the same problem when using other cells such as high end Nokias and Motorolas, not sure why.

We'll keep at it though, thanks....

In the meantime, like i said, if the connection does not happen the first time you start it, simply exit the app, then restart it again.

PS. Yes, the "name" and "username" are the same...that's just a miscommunication between webmaster and developer...i'll see it fixed...thanks...

Last edited by asj2008; 07-16-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #20
jsaradhi

Model: curve

thanks for your reply...i do have the latest version which is 1.0 from the link u posted above. i did try exiting the app and restarting it, but still to no avail. i still get the same error. after the network connection error screen flashes...it actually goes to the next screen in which it says that there is a prob with my username and pwd and then at the bottom it says "warning! there was an error parsing the channel list". i did add 2 channels on the web site to try them. wat did i do wrong?

Last edited by jsaradhi; 07-16-2008 at 04:10 PM..
Closed Thread