BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Default Tray in OS6

Please Login to Remove!

What does the tray do...and how does it work? Seems like more of a PITA than a useful tool to me.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

It changes the mobile interface we were used to. I quite like it. When you open the tray it expands to what would be the menu we were used to on the previous OSs. To open it you either press Menu > open tray or in the main screen click on the bar above the icons. It is pretty sweet!!!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
stevew

Sorry - I still just don't get it. If you have chosen "none" in "number of icon rows"...what you end up with is an almost blank screen, should you hit the escape once too often from an app. What is supposed to go in that blank row anyway and why is it even there? How does it actually enhance the interface or UI?

If the tray is closed and you have chosen NOT to have icons in the rows...it takes more clicks to get to an app/icon. Again, no value or enhancement to the UI, AFAIK. It just seems to be more for glitter than anything else, at least on the 9700. It doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose and I can't believe RIM would offer it to the users if there were no real purpose. I'm wondering if I missed something, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Previously owned:
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Thiego-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm wondering if I missed something, or if I'm doing something wrong.
Hummm.... I beleive your doing something wrong. The bar which you open the tray can be changed "as if" you were outlooking a folder. You can scroll left/right through it and there should be 5 (that's what i have)
- All
- Favourites
- Media
- Downloads
- Frequent

To switch them just scroll on top of the bar which is on what "should be" above the icons and move the trackpad left/right.
If yours isnt working this way should be bugged.

It doesnt really makes scrolling around a lot faster but at least you have more options than before hence the idea that it somehow improve its UI. I aprove it and I'm fairly happy since it does looks a lot smarter now.
I hope your find your way and enjoy as I do

EDIT: When I mean you have more options, I mean you have more options of customizing it and having what you need most easier in hands. Maybe It's about the same as before but the glitter does makes its effect I would say. It is indeed beautiful.

Last edited by Thiego-uk; 11-10-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Old 11-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
stevew

Yup, I've got all that...and if I scroll too quickly on say - the "All" screen, which is where I live, it will change to the next screen...etc...I hate that. I don't want the other 4 screens, don't need them. What I am wondering is what is supposed to be seen between the closed tray and the top bar...when no icons in the row are chosen? My screen is blank in the middle...seems like a waste of space and time. It doesn't make scrolling faster, but rather slower, since when you scroll too fast, you end up in another folder.

Love to at least find a way to get rid of all of the folders, except "all". We were able to do this in OS5.

Previously owned:

Last edited by stevew; 11-10-2010 at 08:04 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Thiego-uk

I beleive you may be able to change it when we have access to diferent themes.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
lg777
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I like it as well. The top part where the time and all the system icons are allows me to manage connections, the mid is search and summary of emails, calendar, the bottom is the tray.

Makes more sense if you have a touch screen instead of just a trackpad though but I imagine all BB will be going with touchscreens and keyboard.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
BIOHazard87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Tray in OS6

I hate the multi-sliding tray too. I end up selecting the wrong thing every time. OS5 I could navigate much quicker, but OS6 is more sexy.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
motekfischtein

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOHazard87 View Post
I hate the multi-sliding tray too. I end up selecting the wrong thing every time. OS5 I could navigate much quicker, but OS6 is more sexy.
Is it possible to edit the OS 6 tray? I hate all those sliding screens. One would suffice.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by motekfischtein View Post
Is it possible to edit the OS 6 tray? I hate all those sliding screens. One would suffice.
Nope. And that's one of the biggest reasons I gave up on the Torch and am sticking with OS 5 for now.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
rick chi-town

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

I like the new 6 personally... I have NO icons selected and when the tray is closed, you can see my wallpaper perfectly. Whether it be just a cool black image or a pic of my kids... There are no icons to block it. Give it some time, it's def the next step for our beloved blackberries..
Old 12-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #12
EricO

Carrier: KPN NL

I agree with the tray being useless, at least for now. I just viewed a video on the Playbook and I think I now understand why the tray looks like it is.

In my opinion you will be able, in future, to see the running programs in the empty space between the tray and the upper status area. On the Playbook you see a icon where you see the programs running and you can switch between the running programs by swiping.

My guess..... we're getting prepared for QNX........

/Eric
Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
jamesavila
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: 2367A1E9
Carrier: T-Mobile

If anyone figures out a way to delete/remove/disable the trays, pls let me know. I only use the main.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
AlanJolin
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 236B7E39
Carrier: vodafone UK

Maybe try another Theme (now available) that reverts to earlier OS formats.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
Pow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Wait for OS6.1 to release. In this release you can change which trays to show. Cant wait for it really
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
oldrelicdvds
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z30
PIN: 3353CF0C
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pow View Post
Wait for OS6.1 to release. In this release you can change which trays to show. Cant wait for it really
Only problem is Verizon is so slow releasing new OS for BlackBerry, 6.2 will be ready by time we get 6.1.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrelicdvds View Post
Only problem is Verizon is so slow releasing new OS for BlackBerry, 6.2 will be ready by time we get 6.1.
In case you don't know, you can use any carriers release on your phone, not just Verizon. As for 6.1, I haven't seen or heard anything about this so I don't know where the poster is getting this information.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
blackpres

Carrier: MOVISTAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yup, I've got all that...and if I scroll too quickly on say - the "All" screen, which is where I live, it will change to the next screen...etc...I hate that. I don't want the other 4 screens, don't need them. What I am wondering is what is supposed to be seen between the closed tray and the top bar...when no icons in the row are chosen? My screen is blank in the middle...seems like a waste of space and time. It doesn't make scrolling faster, but rather slower, since when you scroll too fast, you end up in another folder.

Love to at least find a way to get rid of all of the folders, except "all". We were able to do this in OS5.
I AGREE with you! OS 5 is elementar but sure you reach the desired icon without prior reaching undesired icons. But it is only a matter of habit. Once you are used to OS 6, you save steps.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
blackpres

Carrier: MOVISTAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOHazard87 View Post
I would not say that os 6 is more sexy; instead, it is an arised operative system developed in a harry of deadlines and not checked out enough.

Last edited by blackpres; 03-13-2011 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: spelling.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Wow.