Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Bison2674

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Getting an error message when trying to synch

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac. Synching has worked* in the past, but now I get an error message when trying to synch my calendar that says "A sync error occurred. Please retry the synch." That's all. I have no idea how to fix this problem because Blackberry doesn't tell me what the problem is. Obviously, I've retried synching and that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

*By "worked," I mean I've been able to update my calendar/contacts on my Mac and have them translated onto my BB. However, I've gotten double/multi appointment additions to my Mac calendar. Also, things I've deleted on both my Mac and BB have reappeared after I synch (where are they being stored?!). I've tried to fix it and learned to live with it. A couple techies I know have said it's just the way things are between BB and Mac. If I get a chance, I'm switching to an iPhone.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

With regard to the sync erroring out on calendar, take a look though the calendar on the computer. If you can change the view to rows and columns like a spreadsheet, all the better. Look for oddball characters, empty rows, and so forth. Clean up as needed. Also look at notes in calendar entries, particularly any that are relatively large in size. After you've cleaned it up, try to sync again. If you still have trouble, use advanced backup/restore to clear the calendar database on the device and then re-sync. Hopefully it works.

As far as dupications and that sort of thing, I don't know, except set desktop manager to ask for confirmation, and re-sync when it asks to make what you think are too many deletions, additions, or changes.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
TeleBEEM

Model: 9630

You may want to check if there is a new version of the Desktop Manager available. I've experienced this issue with Google Sync installed, so it may be that software's fault if you have it installed on your phone or on your Mac.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Bison2674

Default Thanks

Thank you both for the responses. I'll check into the software update and also trying clearing out things in my calendar on the Mac.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
eburlh@gmail.com

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I am having the same problem. The problem started when I updated to the new Desktop Manager. I am getting the same error when the sync reaches the contact list. I have no idea what to do either.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburlh@gmail.com
I am having the same problem. The problem started when I updated to the new Desktop Manager. I am getting the same error when the sync reaches the contact list. I have no idea what to do either.
Have you tried clearing the address book on the blackberry and then re-sync'ing?

Are you sync'ing with anything else too?

I am totally unfamiliar with google's products, but I've noticed numerous posts regarding problems with calendar or address book where google sync is somehow involved.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Bison2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

With regard to the sync erroring out on calendar, take a look though the calendar on the computer. If you can change the view to rows and columns like a spreadsheet, all the better. Look for oddball characters, empty rows, and so forth. Clean up as needed. Also look at notes in calendar entries, particularly any that are relatively large in size. After you've cleaned it up, try to sync again. If you still have trouble, use advanced backup/restore to clear the calendar database on the device and then re-sync. Hopefully it works.

As far as dupications and that sort of thing, I don't know, except set desktop manager to ask for confirmation, and re-sync when it asks to make what you think are too many deletions, additions, or changes.
Ira - This appeared to be the problem. Apparently, the Blackberry software does not work well with Macs (not sure which is at fault here). But when I'd synch, all my repeating events on my Mac would get replicated. I'm not sure how many times (possibly hundreds), but they were all layered on top of each other so I couldn't see them. So when I'd go to synch, it couldn't be completed due to all the info that was being stored.

Anyway, so I "solved" it by wiping my blackberry and deleting my calendar on my Mac and then creating separate calendars for repeating events and one-time events. I don't synch my repeating events calendar. While this isn't ideal, it's better than not being able to synch at all.

Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Bison2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburlh@gmail.com View Post
See my response to Ira...you might be having the same problem.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
tbarr5@comcast.net

Model: 2100
Carrier: T-mobile
Smile I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bison2674 View Post
I'm using Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac. Synching has worked* in the past, but now I get an error message when trying to synch my calendar that says "A sync error occurred. Please retry the synch." That's all. I have no idea how to fix this problem because Blackberry doesn't tell me what the problem is. Obviously, I've retried synching and that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

*By "worked," I mean I've been able to update my calendar/contacts on my Mac and have them translated onto my BB. However, I've gotten double/multi appointment additions to my Mac calendar. Also, things I've deleted on both my Mac and BB have reappeared after I synch (where are they being stored?!). I've tried to fix it and learned to live with it. A couple techies I know have said it's just the way things are between BB and Mac. If I get a chance, I'm switching to an iPhone.
Yes, we Mac users have been waiting for Desktop Manager and waiting to see stuff like this happen. If they don't get there act together they will loose a lot of Mac/ Blackberry users to I phone. Next to Google they (RIM) is impossible to contact.

T.Barr
Closed Thread