BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
taurux5

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default How Can I Customize/Tweak My Pearl Flip?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys! How can I customize the front screen display of my BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220? It's got that annoying image of a time clock.

1) Can I customize it to show my own pic in the background without the time clock image?

2) Can I change the time clock image to show a digital clock?

3) Is there a website that shows how to tweak the pearl flip?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

No, no, no. Not user-configurable.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Giselle9938
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: none
Carrier: a Cheap company that I'll leave very soon

I don't think you can change the background of the external display

To change the external display to a digital clock go to Menu> Clock> Options> Clock face > Digital...
Old 03-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I would leave it alone until you have at least 250 posts. By then you may have read the manual and other posts from people who have added or changed the BB Flip view
Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
mgbarton

Carrier: T-Mobile

The external display background is defined by the theme you use. You can use any image you want, an it will fill the entire external display. Sadly, there's no way to change it through the phone's UI.

It's pretty easy to create your own theme, allowing you to not only set the background on that screen, but all the other various backgrounds, as well as other misc tweaks and tunes.

It's easy and fun!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
taurux5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbarton View Post
The external display background is defined by the theme you use. You can use any image you want, an it will fill the entire external display. Sadly, there's no way to change it through the phone's UI.

It's pretty easy to create your own theme, allowing you to not only set the background on that screen, but all the other various backgrounds, as well as other misc tweaks and tunes.

It's easy and fun!
Hi, mgbarton. Thanks for the reply. What must I do to change the outer screen background according to your answer?

Also, are there any tweaks to improve the performance of this phone since it's slow? I'm very disappointed in its slow performance and am thinking about selling it.

These questions are directed to everyone, just to let you guys know. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
mgbarton

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurux5 View Post
What must I do to change the outer screen background according to your answer?.
Get a copy of the Theme Builder at www dot plazmic dot com

While you're there, pick up a copy of the Device Simulator for the 8220, so you can test your theme before you load it on the device. There is also a User's Guide to answer all your questions.

The Theme Builder's default theme is very similar to what came on your 8220, so you can use that as a starting point. From there, import your images and place them on the screens you want to change, then save your theme and 'export' it. You then use the Blackberry Desktop Manger to load the theme onto your phone.

The Theme only changes the look (images, colors, icon positions) and the way you navigate around the device. It has no effect on either your applications or on the phone's performance.

Last edited by mgbarton; 03-16-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Divius1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: -P
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
I would leave it alone until you have at least 250 posts. By then you may have read the manual and other posts from people who have added or changed the BB Flip view
^maybe not posts.. but stick around and read.

or your next post will ask how to un-FUBAR a BB.

Mine has/had muliple tweaks inner/outer displays, colored trackballs(red then Blk. now Blue & requires disassembly), Many OSs+Apps.

Last edited by Divius1; 03-16-2009 at 11:47 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
taurux5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbarton View Post
Get a copy of the Theme Builder at www dot plazmic dot com

While you're there, pick up a copy of the Device Simulator for the 8220, so you can test your theme before you load it on the device. There is also a User's Guide to answer all your questions.

The Theme Builder's default theme is very similar to what came on your 8220, so you can use that as a starting point. From there, import your images and place them on the screens you want to change, then save your theme and 'export' it. You then use the Blackberry Desktop Manger to load the theme onto your phone.

The Theme only changes the look (images, colors, icon positions) and the way you navigate around the device. It has no effect on either your applications or on the phone's performance.
mgbarton, thanks for your reply. Do you think that I can improve performance on my pearl flip simply by deleting extra programs and fluff I'll never use?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
mgbarton

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurux5 View Post
mgbarton, thanks for your reply. Do you think that I can improve performance on my pearl flip simply by deleting extra programs and fluff I'll never use?

No. Performance would only be affected but the programs that are actually running. You'll find that the programs started by default are the ones that need to be running.

That said, it you start an application, be sure to 'Close' it when your done, otherwise it will keep running in the background.
Closed Thread