Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
tumblweed

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8130 Tether to Leopard

Please Login to Remove!

Hey folks,

Just got my pearl today, and sync'ed with pocket Mac, no problems.

I am subscribing to the tethering option, but VZAccess does not support mac for the 8130 (or any of the blackberrys for that matter)... so I tried something else...

After bluetooth pairing, I tried using the Novatel CDMA driver, I can get 200-300kb speeds, but no faster. Anyone have a way I can increase speeds on this? Using the Windows side of my mac and using VZAccess manager, I can get at least double those speeds in the same place.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
tazcalvin

Model: pearl
PIN: 317A1FB7

how did you tether pearl to your mac? i have tiger now. if you can
explain step by step, it will be appreciated much.

thank you
Old 11-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
omie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Here is a tutorial I made.

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - OFFICIAL Blackberry Pearl 8130 tethering thread.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
Rikkitikkitavi

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default I would like to teather my 8130 VZW...

but first...
I am having difficulty just getting the bluetooth set up on my mac. Can you offer any suggestions?

These are the steps which I take:

1. Click on the Bluetooth icon in upper right of desktop.
2. Click on "Set up Bluetooth Device..."
3. In Bluetooth Setup Assistant I click "Continue"
4. Click "Mobile Phone" button and then "Continue"
5. Setup goes into "Searching for mobile phones - 1 found - Blackberry 8130... I then click "Continue"
6. Setup is "Gathering additional information complete. Click Continue to proceed with configuring this device." I then click "Continue".
7. The PASSKEY comes up and I get a WARNING msg. "The pairing attempt was unsuccessful. Make sure your mobile phone is in the range of this computer, turned on and "discoverable" (which the phone is) When ready, click Continue to try again." I then click "Continue".
8. "Connection Established" I then enter PASSKEY on the phone and the Setup Assistant goes to "Select the services you want to use with you mobile phone: Use with Address Book - Access the Internet with your phone's data connection." I click on only the Address Book (knowing I cannot teather at this point) and then click "Continue".
9. It then says "Configuring services..."

It will scan on this screen with the circle spinning next to "Configuring services..." until I hit the close button in the upper left of the box to close and cancel.

This is as far as I can get my Bluetooth on my Mac.

I have my bluetooth connected in my car and it works perfectly. I know its on and running. My mac can find my phone, send a passkey and accept it but won't complete the process. Any advice please? (Verizon cannot help. They told me to take my phone and MacBook Pro to an Apple store. The closest one is two hours away.

PS. I can utilize PocketMac via USB but that kind of defeats the purpose of Bluetooth, doesn't it?
Thanx in advance.

Last edited by Rikkitikkitavi; 12-06-2007 at 11:41 PM..
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
johnbbny

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkitikkitavi View Post
but first...
8. "Connection Established" I then enter PASSKEY on the phone and the Setup Assistant goes to "Select the services you want to use with you mobile phone: Use with Address Book - Access the Internet with your phone's data connection." I click on only the Address Book (knowing I cannot teather at this point) and then click "Continue".
9. It then says "Configuring services..."
<etc>
It's likely that your 8130 doesn't support the proper Bluetooth profile for Mac OS X Address Book sharing. (Mine doesn't. I'm on Verizon.)

To use the 8130 as a Bluetooth modem, turn on Bluetooth and go to System Preferences -> Network. Select "Bluetooth" in the left sidebar, and fill in the telephone number, password, and account name (#777, vzw, and [email address] respectively if you are on Verizon). Check "Show status in menu bar" and click Apply. You will be able to connect using the modem icon at the top right, in your menu bar.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #6
Rikkitikkitavi

To use the 8130 as a Bluetooth modem, turn on Bluetooth and go to System Preferences -> Network. Select "Bluetooth" in the left sidebar, and fill in the telephone number, password, and account name (#777, vzw, and [email address] respectively if you are on Verizon). Check "Show status in menu bar" and click Apply. You will be able to connect using the modem icon at the top right, in your menu bar.[/QUOTE]

What is the "left sidebar" you are referring to?

I click on Network and I see what is listed below. All of this information is centered on window. There are 4 (four) tabs to choose from under Location and Show. Those are: PPP TCP/IP Proxies Bluetooth Modem The PPP is the highlighted one I'm referring to below.

The part in () confuses me a bit...can you please explain a little...

Also, which password is being asked for?

I have the network screen up as follows:

Show: Bluetooth
Service Provider: (blank)
Account name: (My name is Auto-Filled)
Password: (Auto-Filled)
Telephone Number: ######### (9 digits without any dashes, spaces etc.)
Alternate Number: (Blank)
Save Password is checked

I check "Apply Now" and then authenticate. I then click "Dial Now" and the Bluetooth screen pops up asking to "show modem status in menu bar". I then click "Connect"

I then receive a popup box that reads: Internet Connect - A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again.

Again, You have me confused by your (). thanx in advance

Last edited by Rikkitikkitavi; 12-08-2007 at 01:36 AM..
Old 12-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
zimm17

Finally got my 8130 pearl to tether with my leopard mac using Verizon as well. Took me 3 days of messing with it.

I installed the script as listed elsewhere on the forums. Then paired the bluetooth. The next trick was the settings for the bluetooth device.

When I go to configure this device, I get the option to use connect to the internet with your phone's data connection- that's checked. No other options.

For phone vender, I have no verizon option. Also, no RIM option with this script- the old script gave that option. I chose "generic".

For model I have the following options: bluetooth LAN access, dial up device, or GPRS (GSM/3G). I used "dial up device"

username I have my number@vzw@3g.com
password: vzw
phone number: #777

Then I restarted the phone and the laptop and I'm online. Verizon said it couldn't be done!

Last edited by zimm17; 12-08-2007 at 05:26 PM..
Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Rikkitikkitavi

I found this information but still cannot properly set up my bluetooth. I have Mac OS X Version 10.4.1

Is there something I'm just not seeing?

When I click on "Connect" I get "could not open the communication device"

Last edited by Rikkitikkitavi; 12-08-2007 at 11:44 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
attgig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
Finally got my 8130 pearl to tether with my leopard mac using Verizon as well. Took me 3 days of messing with it.

I installed the script as listed elsewhere on the forums. Then paired the bluetooth. The next trick was the settings for the bluetooth device.

When I go to configure this device, I get the option to use connect to the internet with your phone's data connection- that's checked. No other options.
what script where? I've been looking for this script, but I haven't found one.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:49 AM   #10
Rikkitikkitavi

bump
Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
omie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkitikkitavi View Post
I found this information but still cannot properly set up my bluetooth. I have Mac OS X Version 10.4.1

Is there something I'm just not seeing?

When I click on "Connect" I get "could not open the communication device"
The first page has instructions for Tiger.

If you are still having problems PM me and I can help you out.

Right now I am using it with Leopard and it works great.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
ggoodale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblweed View Post
Hey folks,

Just got my pearl today, and sync'ed with pocket Mac, no problems.

I am subscribing to the tethering option, but VZAccess does not support mac for the 8130 (or any of the blackberrys for that matter)... so I tried something else...

After bluetooth pairing, I tried using the Novatel CDMA driver, I can get 200-300kb speeds, but no faster. Anyone have a way I can increase speeds on this? Using the Windows side of my mac and using VZAccess manager, I can get at least double those speeds in the same place.
I noticed this same problem when tethering an 8830 with Tiger. It seems like the bluetooth serial port speed on either the Mac or the BlackBerry is capped at around that speed - configuring the modem script to use a higher port speed had no effect.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
burglerspam

Default 8130 with Verizon

it seems like everything was going smoothly with the setup except when i got tot he part where i use the mac to "configure devices" the screen says " Bluetooth Mobile Setup" "Select the services you want to use with your mobile phone:" The only option I have to select is "access the internet with your phones data connection" so i check the box and hit continue. thats where it goes to a stand still. it says it "configuring services" but never gets past that.... any ideas?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
burglerspam

Default wireless bypass and desktop manager

So has anyone figured out how to get these options on your Pearl when your IT department has confirmed that they are not blocked on BES?

If anyone can point me in the right direction to figure this out, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
ggoodale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I believe the way forward is to *not* tick the box and instead just set up the connection manually once you've completed the bluetooth wizard. There were a couple of posts around here somewhere detailing the exact steps. A search should turn them up.
Closed Thread