BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
johnbbny
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default 8130 + USB + Sandisk 4GB MicroSD="Device Removal" error, can't copy files

Please Login to Remove!

I'm able to copy small files here and there, but as a whole I'm unable to reliably copy multiple files to my 8130 when I mount it on my Desktop using USB.

I see the Blackberry folders, but as soon as I say, try to copy an album's worth songs, my system will hang, and I'll get an error that the Finder couldn't complete the copy, and then the Blackberry will unmount, causing a "Device Removal" error.

Are other people experiencing this issue? I'm connected directly (no USB hub), using 10.4.11.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
stencilarchive

Default same problem, potential workaround (or three)

hey john,

way late here in SF, and need to get to bed. but have been troubleshooting the device removal issue for the past few hours. just bought a new pearl and am new to the BB/smartphone scene. Being a mac user, i thought that a simple USB connection would allow data transfer. and have been taking the battery out of the pearl to reboot due to this simple thought.

i tried the following, and am still receiving an "(Error code -36)" when i try to simply copy one photo off of the MicroSD and onto the desktop via the phone/hooked up to the USB:

- setting up the phone to "prompt" me when it gets turned on and is connected via USB seemed to work better than the other options. Still gave me the device removal.
- reformatted the MicroSD card (this cleaned things up on my promo-1xxMB card), but am still getting the the Error 36 no matter how i try to copy the one photo over. No crashes though. Making me think that it might be a file/folder size issue for the device removal issue. maybe not.
- after the MicroSD reformat, i'm not having any problems dragging and dropping files from the desktop to the pearl. just tried a song and a photo and they copied over fine. getting the error going from pearl>desktop. Still no crashes either.

saw on another board that data transfer via usb isn't allowed.

WORKaround(s) to get the Pearl to transfer to the Mac.
  1. for small things, transferring files via email works. it's slow and just not a smart way to do it.
  2. i got bluetooth running (this phone is my first ever BT device) and easily transferred the photo over to the desktop via that. not as quick as USB i bet and haven't done it the other way, with a batch of music.
  3. wonder if pocket mac will create a USB transfer link to take the errors away. haven't gotten to that yet. also think i read that missing sync will connect to iTunes and transfer music. and iPhoto too i believe.
  4. get a reader card/adapter thingy for the microsd and plug it into the computer (make sure that the reader's unlocked so you can transfer data).
OK, off to bed.

good luck and let me know if you find a fix anywhere online, if none of the above works. surprised that BB doesn't make transfer that easy. seems like all is well, except for the nasty error 36.

Last edited by stencilarchive; 11-19-2007 at 05:41 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
johnbbny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stencilarchive View Post
saw on another board that data transfer via usb isn't allowed.

... <snip> ...
[*]i got bluetooth running (this phone is my first ever BT device) and easily transferred the photo over to the desktop via that. not as quick as USB i bet and haven't done it the other way, with a batch of music.
I'm pretty sure data transfer via USB is allowed. Can others comment? Don't Windows users do this without any trouble?

Sending and receiving files one at a time via Bluetooth is not really acceptable IMHO. It'll get tiresome real quick.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW - Love/Hate

I am having sort of the same issue to. I used to be able to use the Pearl on my Mac (without opening PocketMac) despite the USB power error from plugging it into the keyboard's USB port. I would use it in mass media mode and transfer files to and from the microSD card (1GB). The only thing different that I have done is install the update for OSX that Apple released after releasing Leopard (I'm still on Tiger) and the first time I connected the Pearl and tried to use it, the red LED came on and it froze. Then after a while, it shut off and I had to do a hard reset. Now it connects fine and stays connected, but after a second or two of transferring a file, it stops, gives an error message and only transfers a tiny portion of the file. Very frustrating since Bluetooth is VERY slow for transfers.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Phatric

Carrier: Telus - Canada

THANK YOU !!!

I literally thought i was going crazy. I was on pinstack and explain my situation and no one answered....like i was the only one. This is very reassuring for me, despite unfortuante circumstances that brings us here.

If you don't mind, it's lengthy, but i will quote what i wrote in pinstack. It's the exact same issue.

Quote:
I have, however, recently run into an error 36 issue.

I have taken pictures on the BB cam, i have about 80 or so pics. I want to clear them off and store them on my MacBook.

Both the BB and MacBook were bought within a month of eachother, and i use pocket mac (if that helps diagnose the situation).

My method of downloading pics from the cam is this:

-plug usb wire into computer and BB.

-BB asks me on the BB screen if i'd like to open in "Mass storage" mode. I click 'YES' on my BB

-I select the pics and drag into my desktop or folder. I get an error msg :
"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "whatever file" could not be read or written. (Error Code - 36)."

- I say "sh*t".

I have searched the error and have tried to remedy it, despite not really knowing what i am doing. One site said to check the meida card options on the BB for encryption. The encryption is OFF.

I can email the pics to my email account from my BB just fine....but it's time consuming and ridiculous as i then have to email them one at a time, and then download the individual pics from my email to my desktop/cpu.

later on....
.....lil' update...i just tried to drag the entire "picture" folder...no go.
I tried dragging a video i have on the BB from the BB to desktop. No go. It sure uploaded fine though..... I am flabbergasted.

later still....
.........so looks like im making it worse....

I tried again (im impatient, and want things to work), and this time the first 3 just dragged over to the desktop...the next two after didn't. I tried opening them in the viewer from the media device itself, and the program crashed...disconnected the BB without ejecting it, and a red light came on the BB and would not come out of sleep.

I took the battery out, and waiting 5 mins. Put'er back in and i get the hourglass spin for a solid 3 or 4 mins. Now it's back and running again.....

.....I will wait for all you nice people to help me out. Untill then, i will wait to get home next week to use the Mini SD USB adapter and try it without a USB wire or the BB (thinking it's compatibility issues with BB and Mac). I used the mini usb adapter for the sd card to load some high quality pics (for backgrounds), all my MP3's and videos. I assume it should work the same way in reverse.

I fibbed actually....I got my MacBook late September...still running Tiger. Are you suggesting that there is another update for Tiger that i do not have, that may or may not fix the issue?! or do you still encounter the issue with the update?

Is this a phone issue or a Mac OS issue?....i ask b/c my phone is still under warenty.

*edit: sorry for bringing this thread back to life....but there doesn't seem to be a resolution for this issue anywhere.

Last edited by Phatric; 04-01-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
vidmaster99

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

There is some info in this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-...c-leopard.html

Also there is this posted in the Mark/Space forums:
Mark/Space Users &bull; View topic - Pearl 8130 Firmware Upgrade!
Closed Thread