Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default What's so great about BIS?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm just asking so that i'll know if the Blackberry is the next phone for me.

I'm looking for a proffesional business phone, and i'm between BB9700 and Nokia E72.

I find it annoying that you cant use the BB as an access point like you can do on a Nokia an share the internet connection with external Devices, plus i dont like the style of 9700, and i consider 9000 being more likeable.

Besides that though i really need to know what you can do with the BIS service.

I only know that you can get instant email delivered to your phone and that people say that without a BIS plan there's no point using the BlackBerry.

So bottom line what is the use of BIS that will convince me to choose it over the E72 and other business phones?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
F0nage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

The E72 has problems right now, I was considering one but I held off and I am damn glad I did. The spacebar sometimes doesn't work, this is an obvious deal-killer if you need your phone for emailing. There are other reports of keys not registering when you type too fast. If you're seriously considering one you should be watching Nokia and Symbian boards and blogs to see if the latest firmware that just came out fixes this.

Nokia's email implementation has plusses and minuses v. BlackBerry.

Nokia: native POP3/IMAP/SMTP. They claim the phone can support up to 10 accounts, but I have not gotten my 5800 to add more than 6. Also, you can set only 2 accounts for auto retrieval, if you need more than that you have to do it manually, also a fail for serious business use. And, if for some reason one of your two servers that you have configured to fetch from periodically is unreachable, Nokia marks it down and stops trying. If you don't see the notification you'll never get new emails on that account again until you reset it manually.

Nokia does offer PUSH email, but it is not free everywhere, it varies by country. Nokia is not a services company, they're a hardware company. If you ever consider buying a Nokia you need to understand what that means. I wouldn't bet my business on Nokia push mail.

I don't know why you believe you can use the E72 natively for tethering. There are apps available, but AFAIK it doesn't come with the phone.

If you don't like the 9700 who's holding a gun to your head? Just buy whatever unlocked phone you want. That's what I did. I got the 8900. As far as I am concerned, it beats the E72 senseless. The only thing the E72 has over it is 3G, but I already have a 3.5G phone so it wasn't enough to make me want to get one, especially with the spotty build quality and software issues.

Other people can fill you in on the advantages of BIS.

Last edited by F0nage; 01-24-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

The BIS sits between the phone and your email service, and delivers the push functionality to the phone. Means that a BB is *not* forever polling your email server in case there's mail there. Also, the link to the BIS is compressed. That all means it burns less data (important if you're roaming) and helps to improve battery life.

Actually the BIS will also 'mark down' and stop collecting mail from an email server that persistently fails, so that's not a significant difference.

That all said, I would concentrate on the hardware and OS of the phone, as that's the bit you have to live with too. High end Nokia's aren't for me (so far) as I can't get on with their current OS, and I'm unconvinced they support their phones for nearly as long with bug fixes and enhancements. You may, or course, come to a different conclusion.

What gets me about the BB service (not especially the BIS) is that RIM and the operators can STILL charge extra/a premium for it. That's something that surely can't last...?

Last edited by wibbly; 01-24-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
F0nage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Actually the BIS will also 'mark down' and stop collecting mail from an email server that persistently fails, so that's not a significant difference.
It depends on what that means. On Nokia if it fails once, it's marked down forever.

How many times does it have to fail on BIS to be marked down, and how do you recover it?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I think the BIS has to fail collecting the mail for a while. I know if I change a password on one of the email servers, after a while I get a message on my BB to say it can't collect the mail. In that case I have to go to the BIS to fix it. If a mail server simply fails, I'm not sure what happens...
Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
F0nage
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have a feeling it works better than Nokia's system of throwing its hands up and going away.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The BB is known as an email and business device. Why do you think so many businesses and government agencies use them?

The BB works. Period. No questions asked. However, you do need a BB data plan on top of the voice plan to get it all. Tethering is extra for some carriers, for others it isn't. Same with SMS. You have to check with your specific carrier.

And F0nage, please update your profile with your carrier. Makes it much easier when you have a problem.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

When you have to pay 500 hundrer Euros you have to ask some questions. It's not like money grows on trees.

I dont doubt that it works as you say maybe it doesnt work for me, or there's something that works even better for my needs, so i need to research it fully before i make any decisions.

Now back to the discussion. I have no prior experience with Blackberry, but i have used the symbian platform and i know a thing or two. I know that the software i mentioned doesnt come preinstalled and for free with nokia, but it least it exists, and i can make great use of it.

BIS its a great idea, but what's the use of internet if you cant share it without needing a PC? You can browse the WEB with a device that isnt touchscreen like phone or HTC (meaning the experience isnt worth it). That's why i'm making it such a great deal for it.

Furthermore i would like to ask the depth of the internet applications. How easy can you get stock quotes, or have information of the weather, or chat with contacts from msn,yahoo,icw,facebook, etc?

Iphone/HTC can do all that, and i consider this important, and i hope i can get this kind of functionality on a BB.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
So bottom line what is the use of BIS that will convince me to choose it over the E72 and other business phones?
You - none. Go with E72. You apparently have experience with that platform and BB users don't take BlackBerry as a religion with must convince everyone switch to it.

In fact, just go with what you like. You, you personally.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

The fact that i have prior experience with symbian doesnt mean that i also consider them the Best, otherwise i wouldn't even be considering the Blackberry.

And since you cant rent mobiles and use them for some period of time the only way to get feedback is from youtube videos and owners experience. I have already viewed videos on youtube for models i like but i also need to hear testimonials that will be helpful to me.

I see that nowadays blackberrys keep growing in popularity and that pushes me to find the reason why that is.

Everyone keeps coming with the answer that BIS offers instant email and data packet compression. But that isnt enough for me. Also this doesnt mean that i exclude BB from my decision just because this isnt enough for me. It only means that i need more information in order to base my decision.

You are the one to decide doesnt help me either! Of course i'll be the one to decide but i will need some feedback.

Like what do you enjoy on your BB? Why do you thing it's the ultimate tool. What does it have beside the obvious that is smart and innovative. Solving these questions will actually help me!

I appreciate and value your feedback so please if you have the time, give it to me.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

For me it works.

I have 6 email accounts which I get pushed to me instantly.

I have unlimited (5GiG) of internet use.

I have text messaging.

I have BBM.

The web for me is perfect, I don't need full web pages, I like the wap sites, they load fast.

I like my Berry Weather which updates itself automatically and also displays on my home screen.

I like the GPS and turn by turn directions.

I like Pandora free internet radio.

I can create and edit documents.

And Face Book, Poynt, Sports Scores, and on and on.