Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
gavwill

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra Australia
Default BB 8800 Won't turn on and Track Ball Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Gday BB Friends,

Hoping someone can help. I have purchased a second hand BB 8800 World Edition off a lady at work. Threw my sim card in it and all was fine for a week. Then the Trackball stopped moving to the right. Read all the helpful hints on this subject and pulled it completely apart and cleaned the ball and the magnetic wheels everything. Put it back in and still the same problem. So I pulled the trackball and casing back out and turned it 180% and put it back in. Hoping the it might effect the trackball going left this time. But it didn't it still had issues going right. Makes me wonder if there is a problem with the sensor instead. It preriodically will go right but only if I go a little crazy with the trackball. Don't know. I will buy a new assembly and try that out.

Now the major issue is my BB won't turn on. Been using it with dodgy trackball for a week or so and while lying down on the timber floow at home the phone slid out of my pocket and fell all of about 3 inches to the floor on its back. Ever since then the phone does nothing.

I plug it onto the charger and a solid green light comes on. I pull the battery out for 30 secs and put it back in, then I get a red light for approx 4 secs and if I hit the power button quickly the solid green light comes on. I have even tried holding the power button down for a few minutes. Nothing.

I have tried other suggestions from the forum for example connecting the BB to the application loader at the right moment, I have tried loading new OS, everything I can find in the forums I have tried. What I do find however is that the alarm still works on the phone and goes off every morning and the voice command button on the side of the phone beeps when I push it. Any suggestions guys/girls? Apologies for the long post but wanted to let you know in advance what I have already tried.
Love the phone but disappointed at the same time.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Welcome to the forums!

The device may have been dropped before you owned it, and was waiting for that 3 inch drop to push it over the edge. Sounds like you have done a pretty thorough job of troubleshooting the software, which unfortunately means there is some hardware damage inside the device.

If you are brave and somewhat technically savy, there are instructions in our FAQ section for disassembly, but it may make more sense to call it a loss and replace it.

8800 Disassembly - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
gavwill

Model: 8800
Carrier: Telstra Australia
Default Ouch

WOW, didn't really want to hear that but had a feeling someone was going to say that to me eventually. I just wiped it with the jl-cmdr and reloaded the software and still nothing. The desktop manager seems to recognise the software inside, my address books and programs I have loaded etc but just won't show a screen.

Do you think maybe it is a screen connection has come loose or something
Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
dimsum
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

yeah maybe something on the motherboard came loose, or the ribbon cable for the screen un-attached itself.. bring it in to a professional and have them look at it.. shouldnt be to costly to repair..
Closed Thread